Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

bump bands... what do they do??

(12 Posts)
KatyN Mon 22-Aug-11 12:40:07

I'm currently 28+4 and finding walking really hard. I'm normally quite active and can walk for hours. now just a pop to the shops leaves me in pain.

I've put on 2 stone already (!) and it seems to be slapped bang on the front.. there's not much change to my back fat (!). this means when I walk around the little one seems to bounce up and down which then strains my back and under the bump. I normally end up holding him in place (imagine a teenage girl running holding her boobs) - it's not attractive.

I'm looking for something to hold the little chap and bit firmer and give my back some support.. is this exactly what a bump band is for.. or can anyone suggest anything else (other than lying on the sofa eating ice cream!)

thanks
katy

stripeybump Mon 22-Aug-11 12:42:56

Watching - am only 23 weeks but I have a feeling this will be useful have already put on 2 stone here goddammit

LondonGirly Mon 22-Aug-11 12:44:36

Mothercare have a support belt for £12 which has helped me
Although the Velcro can be a bit itchy if it isn't in the right place. Mw recommended it.

Tinkerisdead Mon 22-Aug-11 12:46:51

No you need a pelvic band/support/belt. I tore ligaments in bump when preg last time and the pelvic belt really took weight off.

A bump band is like a stretchy bandeau top that you wear on your bump so no one catches sight of your stretch marked bump when your top is a bit short!

GwendolineMaryLacey Mon 22-Aug-11 12:49:26

They're also quite good for holding your unzipped trousers up! But they're not supportive.

Tigresswoods Mon 22-Aug-11 12:58:54

Yeah thats not what a BB is for. They don't give support as such, they are a good way of lengthening the life of your normal clothes when preggers.

I wore my normal uit trousers to work with them undone under a bump band. No one knew and I didn't need special trousers for work. I am a big advocate but I have not found that many people in RL whohave used them.

stripeybump Mon 22-Aug-11 13:07:53

Mothercare support band - looks worth a try.

KatyN Mon 22-Aug-11 13:47:18

you are wonderous ladies,

I shall pop to MC on the way home and splash the cash (I might have to buy some cute socks/scratch mits etc while I'm there too!)

thanks
katy

Nanny01 Mon 22-Aug-11 13:54:34

If you need support then you can get a proper maternity belt from the hospital, I had one with no2 and it really helped. I I holds you pelvic gurdle in place so you don't get the pain as bad. I asked my gp to refer me to a physio.

AgBag Mon 22-Aug-11 13:57:44

I also am getting back and pelvic pain. The physio I see recommended the Serola belt...
http://www.appliedbiomechanics.co.uk/
It might help you...

banana87 Mon 22-Aug-11 14:25:23

Does pelvic band or support band help with pubic bone-splitting-apart pain?

KathleenMay Mon 22-Aug-11 15:54:28

Mothercare also sell one called Nexcare for £34.99. More expensive than their own brand one, but brilliant. I was huge with DS1 and like that, all out the front (put on 4 stone, yes, you read right). I bought this after a crippling weekend and it seemed to hold my bump up and in. Velcro a bit itchy but I found I could put it on over a camisole (not silk less you want the threads pulled) and it was real comfy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now