Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

This probably sounds pathetic but...

(11 Posts)
tinky19 Mon 22-Aug-11 10:06:19

I have the opportunity to go to London on a writing course but I will be 36/37 weeks pregnan but I'm not sure if its a good idea.
I'm worried because...

I've only been to London once before and that was years ago (I'm a bit of a country girl blush)

I'm due to have earlier sweeps to hopefully stop me going over due (but not till 37/38 weeks)

I'll be 3 hours of aways from DH and DS and 6+ hours away from the rest of my family.

I'm huge already at 25 weeks (I'll be a whale by then)

But... I really want to go!

Am I just being pathetic or is it a bad idea?
Thanks

PrincessScrumpy Mon 22-Aug-11 10:50:31

With dd1 I would probably have gone tbh, but then I didn't know what I know now. dd1 came at 39w+5 in 2hours 5 minutes so dh would have missed the birth (not very usual for 1st time birth). I was quite tired by then but I was okay. This pg is twins and I'm having cs at 37w so definitely not.

What kind of writing course is it? Can you sign up and pull out last minute if you don't feel well enough?

carocaro Mon 22-Aug-11 10:53:40

Bad idea.

No I would not risk it at all. I could not think of anything worse than being in labour and stuck in London, or having to get public transport home us something happened or giving birth in a strange hospital without your DP. Let alone getting there and having to sit for long periods of time as you will start to get uncomfortable!

There will be other courses.

G1nger Mon 22-Aug-11 10:57:46

I wouldn't go. At 25 weeks, you still feel like you can do things, but you'll be heavily pregnant by then. Like mine, your 'world' around you will probably become a lot smaller as you struggle to find the energy to walk more than, say, ten minutes (ten minutes, as you now experience them, but by then 15 or 20) without feeling exhausted. At 25 weeks, I was planning a week's working holiday several hundred miles away. By week 30, it seemed like a pipedream. And that's not even getting onto the possibility that you might pop early.

Cattleprod Mon 22-Aug-11 11:11:01

I wouldn't risk it personally.

However, I would ring the course organisers, find out if they will be running something similar next year and whether a creche will be available, then provisionally book it so you've got something non-baby-related to look forward to.

vallinnapod Mon 22-Aug-11 12:07:42

Hi - you don't say if you will def NOT go overdue (i.e. be induced if your sweeps are unsuccessful)

If your course involves parting with large sums of money then book it and you can guarantee an early baby grin If it is expensive but transferable I would say book it and then at least you have the option of changing your mind twenty million times a day at the last minute.

I am, potentially, going to Birmingham next weekend (from London) for 2 nights to the cricket finals - I'll be 39 weeks PG... I do change my mind a million times a day as to whether I will actually go or not but I am 80:20 towards going. Taking my mat notes and hospital bag and know where the nearest maternity hospital is. At the end of the day I may still have 3 weeks of waiting after next weekend and I couldn't think of anything worse sitting at home cursing the fact I hadn't gone. But like I say, remaining very flexible on the not going option too!

Misty9 Mon 22-Aug-11 12:28:40

is this your first baby? If not, were your other ones early? If so, I wouldn't risk it - but if this is your first (is there any reason you'll not go overdue if poss?) then I'd agree with others who've said go if you can either get a refund or re-book it for another time if necessary.
I'm 38wks now and although walking a long (or even short!) way is too much, this is mostly due to SPD. How much actual work would be involved in the course? If you'd need to concentrate and use your brain extensively, it might be a bit much IMO grin

On the other hand, you could still be 3-4 weeks away from giving birth at that point....and believe me it can drag at that stage. If it's refundable, I say go for it, as long as mw is happy at that stage smile

tinky19 Mon 22-Aug-11 15:11:43

No not first. DS is 16mo and was born after a fairly traumatic labour by emcs, that is why I wont be induced (as it can weaken scar tissue apparently) DS was also late.
It is quite expensive (£65 for the day) which will not be refundable.
I am also useless when it comes to navigating my way around strange places but the course could be really valuable (agents/ publishers there etc) Oh what to do?? confused

Kathygirl Mon 22-Aug-11 15:22:00

you are not pathetic!! i say go.

vallinnapod Mon 22-Aug-11 15:31:29

Can you talk a friend or relative in to a trip with you - not necessarily to the course with you but someone who would come to London and shop/sight-see so that you had a it of an emotional support around?

G1nger Mon 22-Aug-11 16:19:29

Do you have a smartphone? Really, all you need to get around London is Google Maps and a tube map. It's a very straight-forward city if you have these. or I guess you could get one of those (what do they call them?...) books with maps in them ;) Really, if navigation's your problem then take these with you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now