Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Driving (very) long distance at 33 weeks pregnant- possible????

(14 Posts)
Ninunina Sun 21-Aug-11 17:35:17

My dp and I are moving countries in a few weeks time and are planning on taking our car with us. I was originally planning on flying, and dp was going to drive, because I thought it would be too uncomfortable for me to sit down for hours on end, but I'm feeling fine at the moment and think I'll be able to do it. I'm currently 28 weeks.

Has anyone done a long journey in your 3rd trimester? Is it really too uncomfortable?

The journey will be split as follows:
Day 1: 8-10hours
Day 2: Rest at MIL
Day 3: 10-12 hours + overnight ferry journey for 33 hours (sleeper cabin & 1 stop).
Day 4: Ferry
Day 5: Arrive AM

roz1982 Sun 21-Aug-11 17:51:33

Hello!
I'm just into third trimester and have returned today (I live in manchester) from a weekend trip to Kent. The journey down on friday was a horrible traffic ridden 8 hour ordeal and honestly I felt like a hot, nauseous, knocked up caged animal! I was just soooooooo uncomfortable. we drove back today and although it was a much more manageable 5 hours it was still 'orrible. I think its like you said - having to stay boxed in in same position for long period of time that does it. If I'm being honest, your journey plan is loads more hardcore than mine and looks like a bit of a struggle to me and I wouldn't want to do it. However, you do have rests and lots of ferry time where you can move about as you please. Hope its ok and not too uncomfortable whatever you decide. x

licoriceGreen Sun 21-Aug-11 17:59:16

Everyones diffrent but I had a 2 and a half hour car journey at 34 Weeks pregnant and found it really uncomfortable and swore I wasn't traveling again till babba is here. And I needed a loo stop in the middle of that x

Ninunina Sun 21-Aug-11 18:23:32

Mmmm....maybe I should stick to my original plan of flying. After thinking about it a bit more, it would not be a good idea to be stuck on a ferry for 33 hours either. Imagine I go into early labour????
Thanks for sharing your experiences ladies!

madwomanintheattic Sun 21-Aug-11 18:35:09

you will need to check with the airline if you intend to fly, and may need to travel earlier. i think some airlines have a cut-off of 32 weeks for long haul.

personally i've never had a problem travelling (car-wise) whilst pg. with dd2 we went on hols (a six hour drive) and returned on my due date. (i had made contingency plans and taken an infant car seat with us lol. i did call the hosp as well wink)

i moved continents at 28 weeks with dd2 (a 9 hour flight and subsequent 6 hour drive) but had brought our move forward bya couple of months to allow me to fly (because of 32 week longhaul issue with airline).

it's all been fine. at the end of the day, it's a few days being uncomfortable, but needs must. just make sure you know where hosps etc are en route (partic in countries you are not familiar with) and carry your med notes.

have fun. good luck woth the move.

madwomanintheattic Sun 21-Aug-11 18:35:44

(should add - ds1 was born 24 hours after we got back grin)

coccyx Sun 21-Aug-11 18:36:19

i would be worried about pee stops. i kept a Starbucks cup and lid in car for emergencies

Eskarina Sun 21-Aug-11 18:37:28

Also, if you take the ferry route do check that they will let you go. My cousin was refused an overnight ferry trip at 28 weeks (actually turned up at the terminal before they turned her away) on the grounds that they were too far out at sea if anything happened.

Good luck with the move, journey and the baby.

Ninunina Sun 21-Aug-11 20:03:40

OK, problem solved! FIL do the journey with DH and I will fly as originally planned. The airline I'm flying with allows you to fly upto 36 weeks so I should be ok with a doctors note. I still think I could have done the journey, but the ferry trip is too risky (not to mention the fact that I get very sea sick).

Ivortheengine8 Sun 21-Aug-11 20:42:55

I am 32 weeks and wouldnt want to if I could help it but everyone is different.
Just also be aware of the risk of DVT on long journeys especially when pregnant. I had one come out of nowhere after dc1 was born. Just keep your legs moving and have plenty of stops.

madwomanintheattic Mon 22-Aug-11 18:22:21

yy. just make sure you get your 'fit to fly' and you should be fine then. grin

good lcuk with everything.

Engelsmeisje Tue 23-Aug-11 08:39:59

Not going to be super comfy BUT I think that as long as you're not driving (so can wriggle around a bit in the passenger seat) and can stop for a quick stretch every hour or two, you'll be fine.

100years Tue 23-Aug-11 08:52:07

Oh I wold have hated that. Did a trip down south at 27 weeks that was a drive of 4-5 hrs and I really didn't enjoy it. Recently (36 weeks) we travelled 2 hours and that was too much for me too. Even though I wasn't driving. I do not like being cooped up in a car for any length of time.

100years Tue 23-Aug-11 08:52:17

*would

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now