Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

quality of pregnancy tests

(21 Posts)
imgonnaliveforever Sat 20-Aug-11 20:14:17

Does anyone know what's the difference between a branded pregnancy test and a £2.50 tesco one. Are they likely to be less accurate or are you just paying for the name?

outthere Sat 20-Aug-11 20:28:01

Just paying for the name definitely!! The best ones I've ever used were from poundland - 2 in a pack so 50p each. The only reason they're so cheap is because they're dip tests rather than mid-flow ones but I just bought some cheap, throw away plastic bowls to pee into.

The poundland ones were more sensitive than most others I've used - showing a positive from about 10 or eleven days past ovulation.

In contrast, the only time I've EVER had a false positive was with a clear blue. The plus sign ones are notorious for being iffy and they seemed to detect my LH surge which really messed with my head angry

HTH

outthere Sat 20-Aug-11 20:29:16

However, FWIW I found the Tesco's ones were a bit rubbish - I don't think they have much dye in them because I was getting veeery faint positives even when I was well and truly pregnant!

Crosshair Sat 20-Aug-11 20:38:59

Paying for the name and a fancy box. Used First response, Clearblue and Asda brand tests, for me Asda was by far the best and half the price.

melliebobs Sat 20-Aug-11 21:11:46

Definatly paying for box n fancy packaging. Took 2 first response ones the day before and the day AF was due. Both negative. Sainsburies own one half the price n very strong positive!

SaulGood Sat 20-Aug-11 21:13:47

They're all much of a muchness.

In fact ebay cheapies/poundland tests are often more sensitive than a £13 clearblue rip off.

thisisyesterday Sat 20-Aug-11 21:14:40

from what i have read online the superdrug ones pick up lower levels of HCG than a lot of the more expensive tests!!

lolajane2009 Sat 20-Aug-11 21:44:50

i used the superdrug cheapo ones... had no issues.

Bunsouttheoven Sat 20-Aug-11 21:47:43

I bought cheapo ones from eBay. Seem as accurate as the expensive ones.

notcitrus Sat 20-Aug-11 22:11:08

I got a neg at 7 weeks with an expensive Clearblue one and a Sainsbo's one.
After that I needed loads so got them from Poundland (2 for £1), but you need your own container to dip into. Got fat line at 4 weeks.

nannyl Sat 20-Aug-11 22:38:12

my ebay cheepos gave me a BFP before my first responce 6 day early test did.

got a BFP from ebay at 3+3!!!!!

a good friend got a BFP on a tesco cheapy... tried to confirm it with a clear blue digital which told her she was NOT pregnant! (she was and has a 10 week old now!)

KikiRC Sun 21-Aug-11 08:35:50

I used the Poundland two-for-£1 paper strip ones, and they gave me an accurate negative result last year, and a positive one this year. (And it was an afternoon urine test, so not at its strongest, either.) I then chased it up with a more expensive test, just to be sure. Like a previous poster says, you just need to dip it into the urine, rather than POAS, so I used a normal sample pot from the doctors.

kat2504 Sun 21-Aug-11 08:51:02

Superdrug get my vote. They are as good as FR in my opinion. And the dye is quite a dark colour so less issues with faint lines. I got a bfp with an internet cheapie on the same day but the line was very very light so I got a shop test to confirm it.

VFVF Sun 21-Aug-11 08:55:00

Another Superdrug test fan here, gave me a bfp when the posh First Response 'tell you 6 days before your period' were still giving me bfn, and this was me being a week late! Was definately pregnant, have the proff trying to steal my ipad as I type!

VFVF Sun 21-Aug-11 08:55:20

proof

Eviepoo Sun 21-Aug-11 16:05:17

TBH doctors use a the dipstick kind ones (I know because my work supplys investigator sites) - I think they are more effective because you are actually dipping them in, rather than peeing on them for what may only be a couple of seconds. Also the ones we supply are more sensitive than the POAS ones you buy. Thus I echo what everyoe says, save yourself some cash and just buy the cheaper dipsticks. Use an old tub, bowl, bottle - whatever is easiest and to hand.

hayleysd Sun 21-Aug-11 16:07:55

I bought some of those dipstick type ones off eBay got loads for about a fiver, they did ovulation ones too and they worked fine, couldn't justify spending a rennet for something I was using loads of when ttc

kat2504 Sun 21-Aug-11 16:08:26

even if I use a shop test I still use the dipstick method rather than peeing on the stick. Easier to get the timing right.

JarethTheGoblinKing Sun 21-Aug-11 16:15:58

Is it better to dip then, rather than attempting to catch mid stream?

Crosshair Sun 21-Aug-11 16:18:05

Its alot easier.

JarethTheGoblinKing Sun 21-Aug-11 16:20:46

True..

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: