Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

quality of pregnancy tests

(21 Posts)
imgonnaliveforever Sat 20-Aug-11 20:14:17

Does anyone know what's the difference between a branded pregnancy test and a £2.50 tesco one. Are they likely to be less accurate or are you just paying for the name?

outthere Sat 20-Aug-11 20:28:01

Just paying for the name definitely!! The best ones I've ever used were from poundland - 2 in a pack so 50p each. The only reason they're so cheap is because they're dip tests rather than mid-flow ones but I just bought some cheap, throw away plastic bowls to pee into.

The poundland ones were more sensitive than most others I've used - showing a positive from about 10 or eleven days past ovulation.

In contrast, the only time I've EVER had a false positive was with a clear blue. The plus sign ones are notorious for being iffy and they seemed to detect my LH surge which really messed with my head angry

HTH

outthere Sat 20-Aug-11 20:29:16

However, FWIW I found the Tesco's ones were a bit rubbish - I don't think they have much dye in them because I was getting veeery faint positives even when I was well and truly pregnant!

Crosshair Sat 20-Aug-11 20:38:59

Paying for the name and a fancy box. Used First response, Clearblue and Asda brand tests, for me Asda was by far the best and half the price.

melliebobs Sat 20-Aug-11 21:11:46

Definatly paying for box n fancy packaging. Took 2 first response ones the day before and the day AF was due. Both negative. Sainsburies own one half the price n very strong positive!

SaulGood Sat 20-Aug-11 21:13:47

They're all much of a muchness.

In fact ebay cheapies/poundland tests are often more sensitive than a £13 clearblue rip off.

thisisyesterday Sat 20-Aug-11 21:14:40

from what i have read online the superdrug ones pick up lower levels of HCG than a lot of the more expensive tests!!

lolajane2009 Sat 20-Aug-11 21:44:50

i used the superdrug cheapo ones... had no issues.

Bunsouttheoven Sat 20-Aug-11 21:47:43

I bought cheapo ones from eBay. Seem as accurate as the expensive ones.

notcitrus Sat 20-Aug-11 22:11:08

I got a neg at 7 weeks with an expensive Clearblue one and a Sainsbo's one.
After that I needed loads so got them from Poundland (2 for £1), but you need your own container to dip into. Got fat line at 4 weeks.

nannyl Sat 20-Aug-11 22:38:12

my ebay cheepos gave me a BFP before my first responce 6 day early test did.

got a BFP from ebay at 3+3!!!!!

a good friend got a BFP on a tesco cheapy... tried to confirm it with a clear blue digital which told her she was NOT pregnant! (she was and has a 10 week old now!)

KikiRC Sun 21-Aug-11 08:35:50

I used the Poundland two-for-£1 paper strip ones, and they gave me an accurate negative result last year, and a positive one this year. (And it was an afternoon urine test, so not at its strongest, either.) I then chased it up with a more expensive test, just to be sure. Like a previous poster says, you just need to dip it into the urine, rather than POAS, so I used a normal sample pot from the doctors.

kat2504 Sun 21-Aug-11 08:51:02

Superdrug get my vote. They are as good as FR in my opinion. And the dye is quite a dark colour so less issues with faint lines. I got a bfp with an internet cheapie on the same day but the line was very very light so I got a shop test to confirm it.

VFVF Sun 21-Aug-11 08:55:00

Another Superdrug test fan here, gave me a bfp when the posh First Response 'tell you 6 days before your period' were still giving me bfn, and this was me being a week late! Was definately pregnant, have the proff trying to steal my ipad as I type!

VFVF Sun 21-Aug-11 08:55:20

proof

Eviepoo Sun 21-Aug-11 16:05:17

TBH doctors use a the dipstick kind ones (I know because my work supplys investigator sites) - I think they are more effective because you are actually dipping them in, rather than peeing on them for what may only be a couple of seconds. Also the ones we supply are more sensitive than the POAS ones you buy. Thus I echo what everyoe says, save yourself some cash and just buy the cheaper dipsticks. Use an old tub, bowl, bottle - whatever is easiest and to hand.

hayleysd Sun 21-Aug-11 16:07:55

I bought some of those dipstick type ones off eBay got loads for about a fiver, they did ovulation ones too and they worked fine, couldn't justify spending a rennet for something I was using loads of when ttc

kat2504 Sun 21-Aug-11 16:08:26

even if I use a shop test I still use the dipstick method rather than peeing on the stick. Easier to get the timing right.

JarethTheGoblinKing Sun 21-Aug-11 16:15:58

Is it better to dip then, rather than attempting to catch mid stream?

Crosshair Sun 21-Aug-11 16:18:05

Its alot easier.

JarethTheGoblinKing Sun 21-Aug-11 16:20:46

True..

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now