Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

nosebleed

(7 Posts)
cleanteeth Sat 20-Aug-11 17:21:14

I'm not PG but my SIL has just been taken in to hospital due to a chronic nosebleed that just wont stop. apparently its even coming out her eyeballs! has anyone experienced anything like this? what was the cause of it?
im so worried about her sad

banana87 Sat 20-Aug-11 21:03:50

Yikes that sounds scary. I suffered nosebleeds with DD but nothing to that extent. I understand they are normal due to increased blood flow during pregnancy. Hope your SIL is ok.

edwinbear Sat 20-Aug-11 22:48:40

I had some awful nosebleeds when I was pg with DS, the most notable being just before take off on a business class flight to Oman which DH had booked as a last 'without kids' holiday. I hid behind a paper desperately hoping the air crew wouldn't notice as they would almost certainly have made me get off the flight. I had it come out of my eyes a couple of times, out of my tear ducts I think, it was pretty unpleasant but no lasting damage. Hope your SIL is OK.

RugbyWidow7 Sun 21-Aug-11 08:54:31

I've had nose bleeds everyday since the beginning of the second trimester (1-3 per day/night). Nothing quite as drastic as your SIL, but pretty persistent. I thought it was to do with the thinning of blood vessels and increase in blood volume. 40 weeks today and can't wait to not have them any more!!!

SaulGood Sun 21-Aug-11 09:01:18

I'd never had a nosebleed in my life until this pregnancy. In the 2nd trimester they were a daily occurence because of thinner blood vessels and increased blood volume.

What your sil is experiencing is something called epistaxis and the hospital will help her and try and prevent it happening again.

Africagirl1 Sun 21-Aug-11 11:19:27

I've also got them in both my pregnancies - never usually get them. Had one in a meeting the other day. Was v embarassing....

cleanteeth Sun 21-Aug-11 15:19:42

Thanks for the advice. She's still in hospital now as it really wont stop bleeding. They've got pressure things up her nose and now they are wanting to shove a camera up there!! I feel so sorry for her, my pregnancy was fairly easy, none of this drama!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now