Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

BH contractions every 5 minutes

(8 Posts)
MagGirl Sat 20-Aug-11 14:54:58

Am 28 weeks - due in Nov - and for the last week I've noticed fairly regular bouts of tummy tightening. Today it seems to be happening every 5 minutes (sporadically) and is now and again accompanied by a dull ache.. It's not painful at all but getting a bit uncomfortable. My gut instinct is telling me everything is fine but wondered if anyone had any thoughts or advice?? x

tinky19 Sat 20-Aug-11 15:05:45

I would keep a record of timing for the next couple of hours, along with notes on any back pain, aches, baby movements etc. and give mw a call with info just to be on the safe side. smile

CBear6 Sat 20-Aug-11 15:17:18

Are you drinking enough? Dehydration can make BHs worse, as can sitting in an awkward position for too long.

If it's not resolved by a drink, change of position, or a warm bath then give the hospital a ring. My MW told me that pre-37 weeks they need to investigate if you're getting more than 4 contractions an hour as it can indicate pre-term labour.

MagGirl Sat 20-Aug-11 17:51:41

Thanks guys! Called Harmony, the 24hr health helpline and talked through everything.. they seemed to think it all sounded okay as baby's moving plenty, no sharp pains, discharge or showing. Lay down for an hour or so which seemed to help a bit... Think I may have just been overdoing it a bit.

mousymouse Sat 20-Aug-11 18:03:46

if you are in any way unsure please call the mw or materinty unit.

I had this after a stressfull day at work. mw advised me to lie dow with the feet elevated, take some magnesium, drink aplenty. and to go to the assessment unit in hospital if it didn't calm down within an hour or got worse.

MagGirl Sun 21-Aug-11 10:14:56

Thanks 'mousymouse'.. I think that may have been what happened with me; getting stressed out and over-tired without realising quite how much so - the baby was telling me to slow down!
I ended up going into hospital for a couple of hours where they monitored me and gave me a couple of tests which were negative for anything too worrying.. They wanted to keep me in over night just in case but I really wanted to relax at home with my husband and a hot water bottle which is exactly what I decided to do - with strict instructions from the docs to come straight back if things continued/got worse.
Feeling so much better after a good night's sleep and have made a promise to myself to take it easier and get a few more check-ups over the remaining 11/12 weeks.
Thanks so much again, everybody, for the good advice x

mousymouse Sun 21-Aug-11 11:34:31

great to hear that everything is ok.

MagGirl Sun 21-Aug-11 15:17:47

Oh, and the other thing that I'm finding a great help for the Hicks contractions is a just-warm-enough hot water bottle smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now