Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Anemia

(13 Posts)
lightsandshapes Sat 20-Aug-11 12:28:56

hello, am 30 weeks and midwife says I'm quite anemic. Have had busy month of relatives visiting, which hasn't helped.

Feel genrerally unsociable. Anyone else experienced this?

NotJustKangaskhan Sat 20-Aug-11 12:37:17

I've experienced this, sadly.

Did she give you a number for your blood score? Has she taken both your iron blood counts and your blood iron stores (you need both to really understand how anaemic you are so you know how much you need to do).

You should have been given a prescription for iron tablets - if not, find some over the counter iron or iron with vitamin C tablets. You can also get it in liquid form (Floradix I think it is called - red bottle at Holland and barrett) that some people swear by, I just think it is vile and didn't help me but others have found it a wonderful and quick way to boost iron scores.

If you are really badly anaemic, you may get the option to have iron injections. It is up to you whether you take them, but they can be of big help just prior to the birth as lack of iron can lead to PPH as well as increases chances of maternal exhaustion.

melliebobs Sat 20-Aug-11 15:08:41

I got it ALOT pre pregnancy and it wouldn't surprise me if I had it now (16 week check in a couple of weeks so well see) iron tablets really disagree with me so there are really basic lifestyle changes that can make a massive difference.

Plenty of fresh oj
Lots of leafy greens/broccoli. Spinach now hits hidden in pretty much everything I eat. Pizzas, currys, sandwiches
Lots of lean chicken
Avoiding tea and coffee cos it prevents iron being absorbed into the blood

Petesmum Sat 20-Aug-11 16:21:36

Might be a silly question but what are the symptoms of iron deficiency?
I'm 22 weeks and utterly exhausted, feel constantly sick, ache from top to toe (bit flu like to be honest) and permanently seconds from tears. I feel worse now than in 1st trimester! Could it be low iron levels or just bad luck??
I wasn't like this with DS1 but in having a girl this time, surely it shouldn't be this different??

NotJustKangaskhan Sat 20-Aug-11 17:01:07

Sounds like anaemia, Petesmum. You should have your blood levels checked at either 25 or 28 weeks, you can request to have them done if you are concerned.

littlebrighteyes Sat 20-Aug-11 17:12:49

ive got 4 days to go and was put on iron tablets a bit back-when they check your bloods- -before hand i was very tired out -but also craving ice lollys and hobnobs like anything-----since having the tablets the craving for ice has stopped{glaad-about),and feeling more normalish with my energy levels smile

Petesmum Sat 20-Aug-11 17:14:06

Sounds like a call to my midwife on Monday asking for a blood test sad I certainly need some help or I'll be starting my maternity leave very early!

dana4nyc Mon 22-Aug-11 14:50:15

Petesmum you sound exactly like me. I am 29 weeks and I have been feeling like this for around 3 weeks now. Also have a cold that has lasted almost as long and it has confused me as to why I haven't been able to shake it off. I saw the midwife this past Wednesday for my 28 week check and lo and behold, I just got a phone call from the dispensary at my surgery that the GP has phoned in a precription for iron tablets for me because my bloods showed that I am quite anaemic. This is my second pregnancy and I definitely didn't feel like this when pregnant with my DD (I'm having a DS this time, so we are just reversed!!)

Petesmum Mon 22-Aug-11 20:55:33

Tried calling my midwife today but as usual it's proving difficult to get in touch, can't make an appointment as she's fully booked all week, can't phone her & she's not phoning back, aaaggghhhh! Will try again tomorrow as tears over something like this really aren't the old pre-preg me sad kind of hoping it is low iron otherwise I might have to accept that I'm just being a wimp

redexpat Tue 23-Aug-11 12:27:12

I've just got back from 32 wk app with dr (although am now 34 wks). I've been taking iron tablets everyday from 12 weeks as instructed by health professionals here (everyone takes iron when pregnant as a matter of course) and my iron level is 7. No wonder I've been feeling really crappy lately.

Petesmum Thu 25-Aug-11 12:40:36

Doc signed me off work with exhaustion for 2 weeks & arranged for blood tests so hopefully I'll find out what's wrong soon. Hoping that a few iron tablets will help me feel better soon smile

Sandra2011 Thu 25-Aug-11 13:56:29

Another chance to advertise Pregnacare Plus. It has everyhing you need for your whole pregnancy. Including iron, zinc etc.

feedmecake Mon 05-Sep-11 21:23:34

I'm anemic too and take pregnacare plus but it isn't always enough. Not too keen on taking more iron pils because they tend to block me up. I take spatone - iron rich water from Holland and Barratt - mixed with ribena (it's absorbed better with vitamin C). It tastes like Raleigh bikes! Does the trick though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now