Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

How did you tell your dp....?

(35 Posts)
Clandy Fri 19-Aug-11 21:44:21

Hello ladies. When I found out bout unplanned dd the news was hard to break and I just blurted it out whilst oh was eating grapes (which he nearly choked on!!) we are now planning dc2 and oh is unbelievably happy and excited. I wanted a really good way of telling him the news (when it comes) and got me thinking how did you ladies do it? (ps I am a sucker for a good happy story (to have a good happy cry at)

SandyChick Fri 19-Aug-11 21:55:03

Its not really a soppy storey but my husband is is afghan so I took a picture of the positive pregnancy test and emailed it to him. He always checks his email first thing every morning so I knew by the time I woke up the next day he would know.

wearenotamused Fri 19-Aug-11 21:56:00

Wish I could give you a good story but unfortunatly I texted him saying 'well you can go back to being a dada' (He was complaining a few weeks before saying he liked it when DS called him dada not daddy and dad had started to come out) He got the message about 2 hours later (he had been in a meeting) bombarding me with question while I was in Tesco. I gave the phone to DS who starting telling him about what he had done in swimming.

I wish it was a better story. But we did come home to a very smiling DH and two presents and then we shipped DS of to parents for the weekend and umm celebrated. But I kept the test.

Think of a good way - the txt fitted us, make sure however you do it fits the two of you.

Oh and congrats (in advanced)

Clandy Fri 19-Aug-11 21:58:44

I am hoping it is pregnancy hormones (rather than just being a major soft a**egrin) but both those stories had me welling up.... Looking forward to some more (goes and gets tissues....)

Pastabee Fri 19-Aug-11 22:22:24

He told me! I gave him the stick before the test developed and didn't look and he told me it was positive and we were having a baby.

Catsycat Fri 19-Aug-11 22:30:18

We were looking at buying a new car. I phoned him and said "We can order that 7 seater".

whizzyrocket Fri 19-Aug-11 22:34:49

He knew before I did too. I was happily just living life and he made me do a test which had the faintest of faint lines, so we speculated, I did another and then finally a digital one. I was in complete denial but somehow he just knew!

Good luck anyway! I'm sure it won't be long!

edwinbear Fri 19-Aug-11 22:37:09

With DS (planned) I'd tested first thing after he'd already left for work. I wasn't entirely sure there was a line and had a hospital appt later that day for a treatment that I knew I couldn't have if I was pg. So I took the test into work and sent him an e mail asking him to meet me in a meeting room (we work together). I shoved it under his nose and asked whether he could see a line. He just said 'hmmmmmmm' (he's a man of few words) and said he wasn't sure. I showed the Dr later that day who confirmed it was positive.

With DC2, completely and utterly unplanned, we were due to go ski-ing the following day. I tested whilst he was out for run and when he got back I was white as a sheet, he asked if I was OK and I burst into tears and said I had to show him something, and showed him the test. He went 'hmmmmmmm' again and then said he'd had a sudden feeling as he was running that I was pregnant, a bit weird given we weren't trying. Oddly enough, in between doing the test and DH getting back from his run, I had a text from my sister saying she'd had a really vivid dream the night before that I was pregnant. It was obviously meant to be!

moonbells Fri 19-Aug-11 22:42:51

Mine's really unromantic - DH was spending a few weeks working in New York and he'd been there 3 when I wondered if the odd symptoms I'd been having (tummy upsets) were perhaps because I was pregnant. I tested (once only) at 4 days late at 6pm and got a resounding positive, then had to wait until the following mid-morning when he was just getting up to drop the bombshell tell him over skype!

I still wish I could have seen his face...

Bunsouttheoven Fri 19-Aug-11 23:07:17

Today I txt DP
Me: Two pink lines on a stick
DP: WTF
Me: Did you hang your trousers on the bed post again?

It is said that in DH's family all the men need do is hang their trousers on the bedpost to get their DWs in the family waygrin

Not sure we are ready for DC 3 but bit late now!smile

SoBroken Sat 20-Aug-11 09:06:23

I found out I was pregnant with this one on Christmas Eve, so I wrapped up the test and gave it to him the next day. It was great timing! Nearly burst not telling him though. I am crap at keeping excting news to myself.

We told my family next day at dinner too, even though I wasn't even 5 weeks at that stage!

nosexpleaseimpregnant Sat 20-Aug-11 10:05:27

Mines really boring sad.
I did a test at 6am whilst on a nightshift at work, not because I thought I was pregnant but because I had a few spare minutes and was testing for an infection (machines are next to each other). I always call OH at 6:05am when on nights, so I know he'll get to work on time, so when I called I asked him to drop the car to me. When he arrived I jumped in the passenger seat and gave him the print out from the machine. He asked if it was a pregnancy result and when I said yes the most beautiful smile spread across his face. That's the smile I will never forget grin
He then said 'god I don't have to spunk in a cup now, thank fuck for that!' (he was just about to have a sperm test)
I did have to phone him about an hour later to make sure he was ok, bit of a random way to start work!!

Bumpsadaisie Sat 20-Aug-11 10:09:18

This time round texted him "Sit down, but I think I'm pregnant again!"

Followed by copious instructions to call into Tesco and bring home a Clearblue Digital test (I'd used a crappy old out of date one originally!)

With DD I did the test on holiday at 5.30 in the morning, so bounded into our room to wake sleeping DH. He said "oh that's lovely, gave me a hug, kissed my tum and fell fast asleep again!!" While I of course spent the next 2 hours tossing and turning next to him ruminating about the huge step we had just taken and whether on earth we were ready!!!

I'd thought we would stop at two DCs (DC2 not even born yet - due in 6 weeks) but just lately have been getting broody thoughts about having 3? <confused> I must be insane as I am useless at being pregnant and moan the whole time.

But I do rather hope there is another time yet when I will be weeing on a stick and telling DH ...

Uglymush Sat 20-Aug-11 12:31:59

We have been trying for nearly 2 years and have regular appointments with the hospital and had just been told we would have to wait another 15 months to be considered for IVF. I was gutted!! Anyway my husband works down south and we are up north, so he was away when I did the test. I wanted to wait until he was home but I was too excited, so when he called that night I blurted it out by asking him if he wanted a designated driver for the next 8 and a half months. It took him a few moments to catch up, but then was as excited as me!

Good luck

hubbahubster Sat 20-Aug-11 12:58:19

I eat my steak so rare that it's practically mooing. I called DH from work after taking a test (ok, two tests...) at lunchtime and said "you know that steak we were going to have for dinner? Well, I can't eat it." DH "Why?" Me "I'm pregnant!"
I finally got my steak 4 weeks ago smile

bilblio Sat 20-Aug-11 13:29:13

With DD I'd been on a night shift when I got my suspicions and worked out the dates (2 weeks late, I don't keep track.) Came home curled up in bed with him and said nothing until we woke up at lunchtime.
Woke up and told him I suspected he was quite virile. grin It was our first month of trying.
I then disappeared off to my parents for the weekend as it was my Dad's birthday. Told my parents my suspicions and did a test the next day at my SIL's (she only needed one in the twin pack too.) Phoned DH to confirm.

When I got home the house was spotless and he was pacing the living room, he gave me a huge hug then phoned everyone we knew.

With DC2 I again got my suspicions when I was at work. I phoned him to see if he wanted me to get anything from the shop on the way home as again it seemed he was quite virile and I needed to go and buy a test...
It was a bit unexpected, I'd had my implant removed but we were only "practising", hadn't planned to get pregnant so soon as I'd got tickets to see Pulp this summer and didn't want to be very pregnant.
Went to the shop, bought a test for me and a bottle of wine for him. The woman serving me couldn't help grinning. I told her one was to see if I could drink the other.

This time I did the test before disappearing off to my parents for the weekend, because weirdly it was my Mum's birthday this time.

Continuing the birthday theme, oddly DD was born just before my birthday, and DC2 is due a few days after DH's.

Clandy Sat 20-Aug-11 13:33:03

Aww lovely to hear your stories can't wait til I have my own to tell! grin

somewherewest Sat 20-Aug-11 14:03:01

I'm another one whose DH knew first because I couldn't bear to look at the test. We'd been TTCing for a year at that stage and had had so many disappointments.

100years Sat 20-Aug-11 15:10:22

I hadn't told my OH I was testing as I was testing on CD 26 and usually my cycles were 30+ days so it was far too early to test, but it was Christmas day.

Test came up positive within 90 seconds when I came out of the bathroom I thrust the test under his nose and almost shouted "X baby" X being the name we had used as a code word for trying and not raising anyone's suspicions, and is still the name we call the bump smile Can't wait till she gets her real name in a week or 2.

Clandy Sat 20-Aug-11 18:17:50

Congrats hubbahubsta on getting your steak grin

benne81 Sat 20-Aug-11 18:49:19

We had been ttc for about 9 months and this was the last month before we would have to stop trying (for maternity leave /financial reasons). I had completely given up and was heading out to a friends birthday in Brighton staying in a hotel with another friend. Whilst everyone was having a drink in the bar I nipped up to the room to get ready and I thought I would just quickly do a pregnancy test as I was sure it was going to be negative but just to make sure as we were going out and drinking heavily (I had done so bloody many PT and they were always negative).

It was positive - I phone my husband about 30 times in the space of 5 mins (he was in London in the shower). I just remember being sat in the hotel room on my own panicking and so excited and how excited he sounded on the end of the phone - I couldn't wait to get back to London the next day.

I took the pregnancy test out with me that night and kept nipping to the toilet all night to look at it (and to throw the alcoholic drinks down the loo!)

Oeisha Sat 20-Aug-11 18:59:01

I poked my DH awake with the stick at 4am (was nice enough to put the cap back on and wipe it down)...got a "f**k off Gadget" (cat) in reply...and then a confused/panicked look as lights were on and then after putting on his glasses I showed him the stick and said "whaddya think about that?" He knew it was pos as I never bothered telling him about the neg ones. Not really sure what made me test that day, other than the usual, it's 34 days, test now, then I can get on with life (11mths of TTC). We then got all excited for about 1/2h and then tried to get some sleep.

worldgonecrazy Sat 20-Aug-11 19:13:58

We were third time lucky with IVF. We were both working away at the same place so I had to do the test in the morning, a few days earlier than planned, as it was quite physical work and after a mmc I didn't want to do anything to jeapordise the pregnancy. I did the test at 6.30 a.m., came out and said "We're pregnant". The best thing was phoning my parents up at 6.35 a.m. and saying "Hello Grandad". They had been waiting forever for their first grandchild so it was a really big deal for them.

EDD24may Sat 20-Aug-11 19:21:34

I did test in shopping centre toilet....couldn't wait to get home. Went to shops after and bought a tigger baby grow (i call my hubby tigger as he's so full of beans).went home and after dinner presented him with wrapped present. Took him a few mins to twig but then the tears started! Good luck x

ToriaPumpkinPasty Sat 20-Aug-11 19:57:32

He was playing something on the PlayStation (for the first time in months ) and I came downstairs with the stick behind my back and said "I think I've got something to tell you."

When he turned the TV off and tried to look at the stick my hands were shaking too much for him to see the barely there line grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now