Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

How excited were you when you discovered you were expecting your 2nd/3rd/4th child?

(4 Posts)
Halfwaytr33 Fri 19-Aug-11 11:38:04

I am 12 weeks pregnant with my first child. I was expecting my partner (the baby's father) to be equally overjoyed. However, when I told him, to my complete disappointment he hardly responded and showed absolutely no excitement, happiness or joy.

When I asked him why he is not excited, he said it's because it is not his first child therefore he "cannot be as excited". He said that when he was expecting his first child he couldn't wait, and compared to his first child he rates his excitement for this child as 50%.

Am I unreasonable to think that he is being completely out of order and verging on being disrespectful to this child? I'm starting to think that he won't have as much love for this child as he has for his others.

This has really got me down and ever since I told him I have felt really depressed.

Let me know your thoughts.

carpetlover Fri 19-Aug-11 12:34:36

Well it is different and the excitement is not as intense but it's still very exciting and certainly not 50%! Actually, with our second, dh was more excited because he could see the potential little person from looking at our first.

I know this isn't what you want to hear as you're having his baby but he sounds like a bit of a tossed to say such as thing esp as he knows this baby is your first.

tory79 Fri 19-Aug-11 13:30:15

Ouch, I can totally appreciate how that must have felt - I am pregnant with my first and DH's second child and it bothers me a lot - having said that, his dd was conceived by accident after 6 weeks and he has never lived with her so it is quite a different experience for him. I would have been FURIOUS if he had said anything like that to me (even if it was true smile) Has he said anything more about it ie WHY he thinks he isn't as excited? It might not be his first actual child but it is his first child with you and that makes it completely different.

My DH did piss me off on the day I found out I was pg, I woke him up to tell him and he was all dopey from sleep and not sure how well he took the info in, but when he came back in the room fully awake after his shower the first thing he said was about the best way of telling bm and sd. Grr!!!!

SoBroken Fri 19-Aug-11 15:54:22

I think that's a completely horrible thing for your DH to say! To say the very least, where on earth are his manners? Even if his excitement is about 50%, he should have faked it for you. How hurtful and disrespectful. Let him have it with both barrels!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now