Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Leg Cramps

(14 Posts)
BikeRunSki Fri 19-Aug-11 11:34:51

30 wks pg with DC2.
For the last couple of weeks I have been getting really sharp cramps in my legs and feet, far worse than anything I have ever had before. It can be debilitating - yesterday cramps in my calves took half an hour to pass and I could not stand up.

Miriam Stoppard book reckons it is lack of calcium, but I am eating loadds of cheese and taking Pregnacare.

coffeenut Fri 19-Aug-11 11:37:09

I took a vitamin combination of calcium, magnesium and vit D which cured mine - but as soon as I stopped taking it, they came back. Apparently the magnesium is the most helpful.

Ilovekittyelise Fri 19-Aug-11 12:06:34

i agree re the magnesium, i take a daily supplement every day now. also, cover potassium with a banana a day and keep drinking as much as you can. keeping well hydrated in late pregnancy is tough you really do need a lot more fluids and you dont always feel as thirsty as your body is!

Catsdontcare Fri 19-Aug-11 12:08:06

Drinking a large glass of milk every day was the only thing that helped me

tory79 Fri 19-Aug-11 12:10:12

I heard tonic water is good - haven't tried it though - my friend passed it on as a tip!

banana87 Fri 19-Aug-11 12:25:07

Point your feet up when you start to feel one coming on. I have heard its lack of potassium, but IME there is nothing that can be done other than the stretching thing. sad

Honeydragon Fri 19-Aug-11 12:28:06

I drank a large glass of banana milk before bedtime with much scepticism, but bugger me it worked!

If I didn't drink the milk I woke up in agony.

Booboostoo Fri 19-Aug-11 12:43:26

Extra magnesium sorted mine out (they were unbearable!) but they would return the moment I forgot a dose!

BikeRunSki Fri 19-Aug-11 13:15:09

Not milk please... can't bear it and feel queasy enough as it is.
Will get some magnesium though, and I love tonic water.
Thanks

Penelope1980 Sat 20-Aug-11 07:52:53

I had this last week, and could hardly walk! Not wanting to be all doom and gloom but if it doesn't stop you should call your midwife or go to the GP, as pregnancy does increase the chance of clots in the legs which can be dangerous to you. It's probably just muscle cramps (mine was) but I called my midwife as persistent calf cramps was on the list of "pains you should not ignore" from antenatal class, and she told me to get a GP to check it out just in case. At that point it went away, but am glad I checked it out anyway as wasn't sure if it was cramp or something else.

BikeRunSki Sun 21-Aug-11 22:32:20

Well, I have been taking Ca + Mg tablets for 2 days and - no cramps since then! But seeing mw in a few days anyway,

hazelnutlatte Sun 21-Aug-11 23:41:02

I had bad leg cramps earlier on in my pregnancy, went to my GP and got sent for a scan to check for DVT. All was fine and I felt a bit silly mistaking cramps for something more serious but it's worth getting it checked out.
The midwife suggested I eat a banana a day and it seems to have worked - only had a few cramps since then and they have not been nearly as severe.

Graciescotland Sun 21-Aug-11 23:48:11

Tonic water! Sounds odd but check the ingredients. Apparently it's the Quinine which helps prevent cramps. Brand names (schweppes for me) have the real stuff but cheapie versions had quinine flavour in it which wouldn't of helped.

G1nger Mon 22-Aug-11 09:07:13

I've heard about a lack of sodium. I'm treating it as an excuse to eat fish and chips.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now