Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Impossible to find maternity bra with A cup?

(25 Posts)
Sandra2011 Fri 19-Aug-11 11:13:13

Yes we all come in different sizes but still it seems impossible to find a maternity bra with A cup.

Maybe I'll just have to get B cup and pray for a miracle smile

Misty9 Fri 19-Aug-11 11:16:02

I went DOWN from a 36B to a 38A for the first 20 or so weeks - and found a comfy non-wired bra in M&S. It was a two-pack in the boxes, white and labelled as 'padded' (although it's not particularly).
Am now wearing the same bra but in a 38C - so there is hope! (37+4)

smile

Sandra2011 Fri 19-Aug-11 11:24:02

In my last pregnancy I used A cup before, during and after my pregnancy.

I'm sure I'm not the only small woman in this country...

kri5ty Fri 19-Aug-11 11:41:47

Try non underwired ones from m&s??

Or (as i like extra padding) i just got normal bras and took the underwire out xx

tunnocksteacake Fri 19-Aug-11 12:59:15

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

KikiRC Fri 19-Aug-11 13:57:34

I'm an A cup, too, and have found exactly the same. I'm just going to wear normal bras until the point when they recommend you don't wear underwired. I think that's towards the end?

Sandra2011 Fri 19-Aug-11 16:44:33

My midwife said I should avoid underwired bras during the whole pregnancy.

KikiRC Fri 19-Aug-11 17:24:07

Did she say why?

Misty9 Fri 19-Aug-11 17:58:56

They generally recommend you avoid underwired bras in case the wire constricts the breast tissue growth needed for milk production preparation (there's prob a more technically correct way of saying that!). That said, lots of women stick to underwired (particularly larger chested ladies) and have no problems. The important thing is that you're wearing the correct size bra - particularly around the chest as this is one thing which inevitably expands in pregnancy.
I found A cup non-wired bras in M&S (as I posted prev) no probs smile

sleepevader Fri 19-Aug-11 18:21:08

Wired is fine as long as it fits properly.

CuttlefishDramas Fri 19-Aug-11 20:07:04

I think M&S and Hotmilk have A cups, but there def isn't the variety that other cup sizes have sad

If you just want something non-wired but not nursing, then LittleWomen is a good place to look.

Firestone Fri 19-Aug-11 20:31:37

I too was an A cup throughout pregnancy and bf, twice. I found the Bravado seamless bra in small fitted very well, and I have just remembered looking at the link had padding which hid the breastpads beautifully (must go and find them hmmm.....) here

Scaredycat3000 Fri 19-Aug-11 20:34:18

envy Shuffles off with my 34HH norks, mumbling.

CuttlefishDramas Sat 20-Aug-11 08:12:00

Sorry Scaredycat, mine was a stupid comment. Shouldn't have been so sweeping blush

Scaredycat3000 Sat 20-Aug-11 19:45:57

Cuttle you really didn't offend me grin The selection of bras in my size is better 2 years on from the first time, under wired now yay. Maybe if bra manufacturers made good nursing bras in all sizes BF rates would be better? The most miserable part of my experience as a first time Mum was the results of bad bras and their poor support resulting in bad back, smell of flesh constantly pushed together, red raw skin under both norks, low self-esteem with a mono boob.
OP hope you find something.

PlinkertyPlonk Sat 20-Aug-11 21:08:41

Oooh, just seen this thread - too busy admiring my newly expanded (from AA to A) bust blush

I had been looking forward to wearing proper 'grown-up' bras for the first time in my life, but am now concerned about the under-wiring, and that I won't find any A cup maternity bras. So can anyone explain what it is about maternity bras that makes them specific for maternity use? Are they actually any different from non-wired bras? confused

Forgive the stupid question - first pregnancy and very early days so I'm new to all of this.

Scaredycat3000 Sat 20-Aug-11 21:26:22

Under-wiring in bras was, until recently, considered a problem for pregnant/nursing mothers. Because, until recently, most of us wore the wrong size bra so the wires would dig into the breast tissue blocking milk ducts, causing mastitis. Opinion has changed as women wear the correct size and manufactures are now making underwired nursing (drop cup) bras. Maternity bras are soft cup bras with extra hooks. Your rib cage will expand and the extra hooks are to allow for your changing shape, or you could just continue wearing the same bras (as long as the cups fit) and buy a back extender like these, which are available widely. Hope that helps.

Baby2b Sat 20-Aug-11 21:59:59

Can highly recommend the moulded style bras from debenhams. I was excited to fill an A cup! grin

Had a horrid experience where the women in m and s told me I didn't really need a bra, but if I had to wear something they had packs of crop tops. Was mortified.

They are out of stock online, but have them in the shops. bra

Baby2b Sat 20-Aug-11 22:03:58

scaredycat3000 good information.

Meant to say it is worth getting measured! smile

saoirse86 Sat 20-Aug-11 22:36:39

If you can, I'd still avoid wiring personally. When I was pg last year I got measured several times and wore underwired bras but then had problems producing milk. My milk didn't come in for 7 days and I failed at breast feeding. I now feel very guilty about it, even 11 months on, and next time I will definitely be wearing non-wired bras.

I don't want to worry you, it's just my experience of not being able to BF was far worse than it would have been to just let my boobs hang very a bit low for a few months! hmm

mousymouse Sat 20-Aug-11 22:45:48

you do not need a maternity bra. any comfy well fitting bra will do.

KikiRC Sat 20-Aug-11 23:09:35

That's terrible, Babyb ! M&S are absolutely rubbish for smaller sizes in my experience, anyway- they're a really odd shape on me. I thought I must be oddly shaped for ages until I discovered Topshop & just about anywhere else, that seem to be able to make perfectly nice A cups.

I'll try Debenhams, my local one only had the much larger sizes when I last went in.

Baby2b Sat 20-Aug-11 23:37:13

Hopefully they should be able to order some in for you. It was important to me to feel comfortable, but still look like I had a chest. grin

A friend at my nct class swore by the vest tops that have a built in bra. They allow for growth throughout your pregnancy (still padded). smile

HillyMcGrew Sun 21-Aug-11 07:35:43

Isn't the other thing about underwiring that if you get a larger bump the wire pushes upwards too far? Even if it is well fitted the shape of the space below your bust where the band sits can change for some women making them not dangerous but uncomfortable.

That said, I moved to non-underwired early on when I gained 1 band and 2 cup sizes overnight as this type seem to afford more room to manoeuvre, but damn are they unattractive pieces of kit. On another thread recently they were referred to as granny hammocks...[/disgusted with the maternity lingerie industry]. I might be growing a human being, but I still like a bit of lace/choice/style/matching briefs!

PlinkertyPlonk Sun 21-Aug-11 09:12:01

Thanks ScaredyCat, that makes a lot of sense.

I have to agree with the comments about M&S - an attitude of 'oh, why are are even worrying about wearing a bra, have you considered our teenage range?' hmm and the cups are an odd shape for me too.

Deviating from the maternity bra hunt, the best fitting bras I've found (although far from cheap) are the half cup styles from a French company called Princesse TamTam, although it can be difficult to find them in the UK.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now