Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Early scans....

(6 Posts)
mummylila Fri 19-Aug-11 10:40:37

....did anyone have one and would you recommend?

I'm five weeks today and i've found somewhere very local that do the scans for £97 and i'm thinking of going when i'm 7 or 8 weeks as they do them from 6, i just can't wait 7 weeks for my 12 week scan!!

I'm worried though i want the scan to obv check everything is ok but on the other hand what if it's fine but they can't find the heartbeat becuase it's early, i'll worry even more then!!

Not sure what to do for the best x

Squiglettsmummy2bx Fri 19-Aug-11 11:06:38

I considered this too but as I had no bleeding etc I just held off & the time until my 12 week scan flew by. I'm 14 weeks now & counting down for the next one. I may pay for a private one after that as 20 weeks to 38 is sooooooo long! One reason I didn't have the early private scan was I feared like you that it could be too early for a heartbeat & then I would probably have been having them every week therefore making myself crazy & poor blush

RunningGuerita Fri 19-Aug-11 12:09:10

Personally I went for a private scan at 8 weeks with my first and am doing the same this time around. 12 weeks was just too long to wait. Once they find a heartbeat, the chances of miscarriage decrease dramatically. I would recommend waiting till at least 8 weeks so that the chances are finding a heartbeat are at their best. You don't want to go at 7 weeks, them not find a heartbeat and then have another agonising wait not being sure...

benne81 Fri 19-Aug-11 13:30:43

I had a previous ectopic so had a scan at 4, 6 & 8weeks - to check in right place and heartbeat etc. Your really don't see much in the early scans so if you are going to do it I would definitely recommend you wait until 8 weeks. Also just because you have the 8 week scan doesn't mean everything is 'hunky dory' it just tells you it is where it should be and about heartbeat. At our 12 week scan we still had increased risk on our combined screening (which can only be done 11+2 weeks - 14 weeks)

Cattleprod Fri 19-Aug-11 13:40:17

I'd recommend waiting til 8 weeks too - then the heartbeat will definitely be there if it's going to be, and the risks of mc reduce significantly after 8 weeks (can't remember by how much but a lot better than the 1 in 4 or 5 that it is before then). 7 weeks iirc is when a lot of important stuff develops - spine, heart, brain etc., so best to wait until after that has been completed.

Emy84 Fri 19-Aug-11 15:02:53

I went for one, at about 8.5 weeks. Could just see a blob with a heartbeat. As its our first we just felt we could not wait til 12 weeks, also due to the sort of work I do I had to tell them as soon as I found out cos there are somethings I am not allowed to do anymore. Seeing the heartbeat at 8 weeks means the mc risk is low and we just felt more relaxed. It is also amazing to see the difference between 8 weeks and 12 weeks!
I am now 16 weeks with a bump already and counting down the days til 20 week scan.
Would recommend but wait til 8 weeks if you can then you should be able to see the heartbeat which is def worth it! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now