Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Pregnant with toddler - easier when baby arrives??!

(45 Posts)
Bumpsadaisie Fri 19-Aug-11 09:17:01

Hi everyone

Just a shameless request for everyone to tell me what I want to hear - that it's easier once the baby's here than being in late pregnancy with a toddler!

Am 31 weeks and so tired !

aStarInStrangeways Fri 19-Aug-11 09:19:05

it is soooo much easier (have DS, 2.11, and DD, 3wks). honestly. at least once the baby's out you get to put it down now and again!

Boosaphena Fri 19-Aug-11 09:21:06

Yes! It so is. I found pg exhausting with no. 2 and 22 month old, now find in a killer with 3.5 yr old AND a 17 month old. It was so much easier and better and more fun when ds arrived. Hope it will be the same this time.

MrsZB Fri 19-Aug-11 09:25:29

I have heard this from various people and cling on it as I waddle round after my 3 1/2 year old!

Bumpsadaisie Fri 19-Aug-11 09:26:06

Thanks you are giving me energy and hope!!

Must try to take DD out today for some fun! grin

BikeRunSki Fri 19-Aug-11 09:30:10

I opened this thread with trepidation - 30 wks pg, DS 2.11 - and am now filled with relief and hope. smile.

tinky19 Fri 19-Aug-11 09:36:25

This has cheered me up this morning. I am 25 weeks and DS is 16mo and into everything wants picking up constantly and I'm so so tired.
DH just keeps saying, 'why don't you go out for nice walk in parks etc.?'
Cause I'm washing/ cooking/ cleaning/ in pain when I walk for more than half an hour and tired!!! (I do take me DS out every day - just not for the whole day trecks DH has in mind)

ILikeToMoveItMoveIt Fri 19-Aug-11 09:42:01

Hell yeah.

I was healthy and fully mobile during all of my pregnancy, but I often felt knackered and my patience threshold was very low (poor ds). I felt so much better when the baby was out. More energy, more patience etc, even though I was surviving on less sleep.

aStarInStrangeways Fri 19-Aug-11 09:42:07

Yeah, nice walks in parks become less nice when your bolshy toddler decides to hare off towards the main road and you are too massively pregnant to catch him.

aStarInStrangeways Fri 19-Aug-11 09:44:29

I also found it quite stressful driving right at the end of my pregnancy, as my bump was so huge that I couldn't lean forwards enough to get a good look around when pulling out of side roads. So I was too tired to walk but too massive to drive, and DS is the type of child who needs regular outings/fresh air or else he becomes a total PITA. There was a lot of crossness those last few weeks blush

TheRealMBJ Fri 19-Aug-11 09:45:30

Oh god, thank you!! I'm also 31 weeks and DS in 20 months. I'm really well actually, coping better with this pregnancy than the last but, fuck me, I'm knackered.

I have no patience with poor DS and all I want to do is have a sit down.

It doesn't help that he is going thorough another sleep regression.

TheRealMBJ Fri 19-Aug-11 09:46:29

And my back! Ow ow ow

LoveBeingAtHomeOnMyOwn Fri 19-Aug-11 09:47:02

I bloody hope so, 37 weeks with a 3 1/2 dd and I am so tired and just want to curl up in a hotel room by myself ordering room service and sleeping.

BrightSideOfLife Fri 19-Aug-11 18:10:04

Yes Yes yes! i have a 2.4yr old VERY active DD and a 3 week old DS (currently asleep on my arms, so excuse the poor typing)

I found the last few weeks of pregnancy terribly hard and started to dread the arrival of the baby. I just couldn't understand how i would cope with a newborn and a toddler, if I couldn't even cope with pregnancy and a toddler!

Now that DS is here, it is so much easier. You can give the baby to someone to hold while you play with your toddler, or involve the toddler in the baby's care (DD loves bathtime for example.) And although I am exhausted by the lack of sleep, I find it much easier to handle than I did with DD. I was a zombie with exhaustion back then, whereas now I am tired but OK. Life goes on so you just cope!

msbuggywinkle Fri 19-Aug-11 18:55:56

It was for me. DD1 seemed to 'get' why I needed to do things for the baby once DD2 was here, but didn't understand why I couldn't run/bend down/whatever while I was pregnant.

Bumpsadaisie Fri 19-Aug-11 18:56:10

Brightsideoflife

Thank you thank you thank you , to you and everyone else on the thread - music to the ears! We will have exact same gap as you I think ... and a DD followed by what is reckoned to be a DS!

Well, everyone, I did take DD out today, we had coffee with her great grandparents, I took her to the library to choose some new books and generally run amok, I bought her a new waterproof which involved trailing round several shops, and then topped it all off with the weekly supermarket shop. Got home, put it all away, made her supper. Now on the home strait of bath and bed! I feel like I've earned a medal!

God I am tired!!! grin

Don't you think Mumsnet really needs a few new emoticons for the pregnancy boards - [exhausted] and [pukey] and [grumpy].

spout Fri 19-Aug-11 18:59:14

hope so. I'm shitting myself about this pregnancy.. am only 7 weeks and SPD kicked in this week. 2.1yr old to "run" after. Roll On April ...

I may moan about this elsewhere on the board, please forgive me grin

VaginaPuddleduck Fri 19-Aug-11 19:00:12

Yep, much easier.

You can leave the baby downstairs when you waddle upstairs with the toddler, for instance.

lindy100 Fri 19-Aug-11 19:05:26

I bloody well hope so!

Am due on Sunday and have organised DH and DD's birthdays in the last two weeks as well. Am shattered!

madmomma Fri 19-Aug-11 19:31:19

So glad it's not just me dreading the baby arriving (although I'm only 21 wks, so I'll probably by desperate to give birth later on). My 9 month old son is wanting to hold (both)my hands and walk with me behind him for every waking minute & I just don't know how I'll cope with a newborn and someone who's just learned to walk!

ThatllDoPig Fri 19-Aug-11 19:37:06

Agree. So much easier when you aren't pregnant. Still feeling the relief of pregnancy being over, six months after giving birth. A lot depends of course on the nature of the baby that you get, mine have all had very different temperaments. But you willl haveso much more energy to deal with the next bit of life. Seeing your little ones interact (nicely!) makes up for the worst days anyway. Good luck.

SheCutOffTheirTails Fri 19-Aug-11 19:38:26

Sooooooo much easier, you won't know yourself smile

Or more like, you will - you will be back to your non-pregnant self when walking up the stairs isn't an expedition grin

sittinginthesun Fri 19-Aug-11 19:41:15

Yes, it is.

Btw, your thread title did make me look twice - "pregnant with toddler", I can imagine that would be knackering. Don't want to even think about the labour.

wheelshavefallenoffthebus Fri 19-Aug-11 19:45:27

Great thread smile
Have a 2 year old and am 33 weeks pregnant. My Ds has stopped napping during the day as well (but only the days at home, he sleeps fine at nursery!) and all efforts to wear him out just tire me rather than get him to nap!
Was starting to dread new arrival and feeling v guilty about this. Obviously excited too but aware this time of the work involved and sleep deprivation!
This thread is giving me hope! smile

KateBC Fri 19-Aug-11 20:08:43

So glad I opened this thread! 36 weeks with DC2 and really really struggling! DS is generally being great, but is getting frustrated with me not being as fun as before, wants me down on the floor playing with him, which I can do, but have SPD so would be stuck there for a while!

Can't wait for this one to arrive now!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now