Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

IRON TABLETS

(13 Posts)
steph01 Thu 18-Aug-11 20:06:41

im 29 weeks pregnant and had a blood test two days ago got the results which told me im a bit anaemic. What are the best iron tablets to take? or do i have to go see a doctor?

Zwitterion Thu 18-Aug-11 20:09:13

I got a prescription, so they were free.

They give you horrible black poo - sorry if you know that already! But thought I'd better warn you.

BlingLoving Thu 18-Aug-11 20:10:31

Iron tablets constipate you. Bit are free if prescribed by doctor.

If you can, buy Spatone. It's a liquid form that you drink In Fruit juice. Much better and easier on your system. Can get at boots, holland and barrat or some big supermarkets. Costs about £8 for 28 doses.

steph01 Thu 18-Aug-11 20:10:42

so do i have to get them from the doctor or can i get any?

melliebobs Thu 18-Aug-11 20:28:26

If u get them off ur doctor they'll b free as being pregnant u don't pay prescriptions. Iron tablets from the supermarket are a couple of quid n give u 100% of ur RDA so they all do the same.

They can really disagree with some people. They did with me. Gave me bad abdominal cramps, vomiting and the runs. I'd rather eat buckets of broccoli!

steph01 Thu 18-Aug-11 21:03:26

sounds wonderful lol

wigglesrock Thu 18-Aug-11 21:29:11

I was told I had very low iron count at 35 weeks, was supposed to be told at 28 weeks, but someone forgot hmm. Anyway midwife recommended Fluroxide (sp), got it from Holland and Barrett, it works really quickly, tastes like shite. I had very bad sickness the whole way through the pregnancy and midwife thought the iron tablets might be too severe.

MummyAbroad Thu 18-Aug-11 22:19:13

I am using these slow release iron tablets , and they give me much less problems (have had very severe hemorhoid problems in the past, so I treat iron supplements with respect now!) I also second the spa tone too, I used it when I was pregnant with DS and in the UK (cant buy it over here, more's the pity)

Make sure you dont take the supplements with tea/coffee or milk as all of these reduce your body's ability to absorb the iron. They are best taken in combination with Vit C as this helps absorption.

starsandplanets11 Thu 18-Aug-11 22:33:49

I've been taking Spatone before the 28 wk blood test but it probably wasn't strong enough as the result showed a bad anaemia. My GP prescribed ferrous fumarate (Fersaday tablets). I was a bit worried about getting an upset stomach but they didn't give me any problems (apart from the black poo...) and I already feel much better, less breathless and have more energy. If you're only slightly anaemic Spatone could be right for you, though.

Cattleprod Fri 19-Aug-11 08:24:18

I use Spatone too - pour a sachet into orange juice for the most benefit.

Iron tablets give me the runs and stomach cramps too, but a lot of people get constipated.

IreneHeron Fri 19-Aug-11 08:47:28

I'm in a similar situation. Spatone is great, I had that last pg. This time doctor prescribed Galfer Syrup which is a Ferrous Fulmerate syrup. It hasn't made me constipated unlike iron tablets do.

benne81 Fri 19-Aug-11 08:56:20

I've just thrown up my iron tablets for the second time this week - feel like I have morning sickness again. I'm only slightly anaemia so I'm going to stop taking them as I think the cons are definitely out weighing the pros! Your doctor/ m/w can give you a prescription.

morethemerrier Fri 19-Aug-11 13:57:05

Spatone All the way! Used it in my last two pregnancies through to breastfeeding, no side effects and really noticed the difference! Did'nt know about it when I was having my first baby, but will definately be using it this time with no4!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now