Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Too much Fluid/Polyhydramnios.

(12 Posts)
ALovelyBunchOfCoconuts Thu 18-Aug-11 17:18:07

hi there,

Had to go in for monitoring today (33+4) as had reduced movements leading up to no movements for the past day or so. Suffice to say baby started kicking immediately as the trace was started so all ok in that respect. smile

But while I was there they decided on doing a growth scan and it flagged up that I have 23.9 AFl so borderline for polyhydramnios. Baby is also breech legs extended so they have told me I am high risk for cord prolapse.

They have booked me in to be rescanned in two weeks so I expect I'll know more then but in the meantime would love to hear if anyone has had extra fluid and what happened and what I should perhaps expect for the remainder of my pregnancy.

TIA smile

icravecheese Thu 18-Aug-11 17:51:13

Sorry, no advice or experience re: fluid, but just out of interest, were you measuring big for dates at all before now? I only ask as I'm measuring 3cm over at each appt (28wks & 31wks) and, in the back of my mind, keep worrying about too much fluid as baby is transverse so I am guessing I could be at risk of cord prolapse etc....scan in 2wks (to check position of placenta originally, but now to check growth & fluid).
Sorry to hijack - just wondered about your fundal height in conjunction with the fluid levels (sorry, so nosey!)...

Glad to hear babe kicking away though smile

ALovelyBunchOfCoconuts Thu 18-Aug-11 18:32:27

Yes I was measuring three weeks too big at 28 and at 31 weeks. Funnily enough measuring 33 today at 33 so don't know whether growth has slowed or not but they were not bothered by this.

My MW was not concerned by the measuring big at all. It's only due to me needing monitoring for the reduced movements that this has been picked up.

Relieved he is kicking away but went in with one problem and came out with two more grin

icravecheese Thu 18-Aug-11 19:08:46

oh dear, poor you! Will await my scan with slight nervousness...

Hope your baby turns & the fluid levels sort themselves out - I've read on other (old) threads on mumsnet that often fluid levels resolve themselves on their own towards the end.

ALovelyBunchOfCoconuts Thu 18-Aug-11 19:22:27

Yes I've read that fluid levels can decrease so I'm hoping for that, and a baby that turns may equal a pretty much normal end of pregnancy.

When is your scan? Mine is on 1st Sept.

Will you come on and tell me how you get on and I'll do the same smile

icravecheese Thu 18-Aug-11 19:38:35

Yes 1st sept too! 2 wks today. Will come back to this thread & let you know how I get on. My midwife not too concerned either about measuring big, its just me being a worrier!!

abitlikemollflanders Thu 18-Aug-11 20:06:33

Hi there,
I had polyhydramnious in my last pregnancy. It was identified during a scan at 29 weeks. I was put under consultant care straight away and given steroid injections as there can be a riskof premature labour. I had scans and appointments to monitor the fluid twice per week. At 33 weeks I was admitted to hospital as a scan showed that my cervix was opening (due to the increased pressure). I then had an amnio reduction at 34weeks.
They let me home then as the risk of labour/cord prolapse was back to normal but I had to go in every other day for monitoring as the fluid can return after an amnio reduction. The baby was delivered by c section at 37 weeks as the fluid had returned. M consultant thought that was safest option as there can be a risk of placental abruption as well as cord prolapse.
My gorgeous baby boy is now 3 yrs old and isabsolutely perfectsmile Still making his mummy worry though!
Also, I had really high levels of fluid, not borderline hence all the scans etc. All the best with the rest of your pregnancy, I know it's worrying but at least your doctors are aware of and are monitoring the situation. smile

BagofHolly Thu 18-Aug-11 20:18:29

I had polyhydramnios, macrosomia and my lower twin was transverse. All this was properly identified at 34 weeks and I was admitted on the spot, and delivered by c section at 36 weeks. Both babies were absolutely fine! Good luck!

ALovelyBunchOfCoconuts Thu 18-Aug-11 20:56:11

Fingers crossed at my next scan that the fluid levels haven't risen dramatically. Don't want to be admitted if I can avoid it although if they feel it is best then obviously that's what I'll go with.

Looking at my notes, I am having a TORCH screening next time also and I have a CMW appt Monday for a proper chat about things so I'm not panicking anymore.

Thanks for sharing your stories smile

icravecheese Thu 01-Sep-11 12:09:37

Hiya Alovelybunchof coconuts, as promised I've come back to update you on my scan today.....

Growth scan was fine - measuring 50th centile for head circumference & towards 97th for abdomen, but they're not worried about that at all. AFI is 21.7cm with deepest pool being 7.3cm (no idea what that means, but apparently all fine, no cause for concern).

Baby still lying oblique - head under right ribs, feet kicking left hip. My low lying placenta has now moved up & they've agreed for me to have an ELCS (due to previous tears).

So all in all, a good scan & appt. They didnt bother measuring my fundal height at clinic, said no need, so no idea why I have been measuring 3cm over for that. They did mention the risk of cord prolapse because baby isnt head down so if I went into labour then there is a risk that cord could come out before baby... but again, they said just call labour ward if I do go into labour before ELCS date (I'll be 38+6 on booked delivery date).

Hope your scan went ok too...x

ALovelyBunchOfCoconuts Thu 01-Sep-11 15:21:15

Hiya Icravecheese smile

Am not long back from my appt.

my AFl has gone down from 23.9 to 22 so lower but still elevated. Dr said that he wants me back for monitoring in another two weeks (38/40) and that I will be induced at term and not left to go overdue which is a relief. I did want to go for an ELCS but he said that babys size is not a cause for concern (just larger side of normal est 8-9lb) so no reason why i cant do it naturally. Still high risk for SROM and cord prolapse and he could come anytime so just got to wait and see really.

Baby has loads of hair and stuck his tongue out at us on the scan grin

He was head down for the scan but swiftly turned round when I was with MW and moved around again when I was with the Dr so who knows!

He also said there casn be a problem with the oesophagus with babys with PH so baby will have to be examined by a paed before first feed to check this. just hope thats ok. he said i was too near to term to have the steroids to reduce fluid.

Thanks for your update smile and glad you had a positive appt.

icravecheese Thu 01-Sep-11 16:56:32

Hi Alovelybunch, sounds like you had a fairly good appt too - its lovely to see baby again isn't it?!

Your AFI is only 0.3cm higher than mine, so doesn't sound too bad at all...

At least they have detected the need to check baby's oesophagus at birth - better to be prepared & over cautious than not. GOod luck with everything, not long to go!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now