Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

cramps at 4/5 weeks pregnant and questions about miscarriage.

(17 Posts)
kickingking Wed 17-Aug-11 20:37:35

I found out I am pregnant a few days ago smile 5w+5 according to LMP, more like 4w+5 according to what I think because of longer cycle.

I've been having period like pains on and off for a week now, without beeding. Is this normal?! Never experienced this with DS.

Statisically, I would be at higher risk of miscarriage because of my medical history (I'm diabetic) and I keep worrying that I could miscarry while I'm on holiday next week (in the UK though).

What actually happens with a very early miscarriage? <naive> Would I have to go to hospital or see a doctor? What am I supposed to do if I am away from home? Sorry if these seem like stupid questions but I really have no clue and I can't get this off my mind.

bellediva Wed 17-Aug-11 20:45:32

If you are in pain then pls go to A&E to get checked over. I had similar pains & bled for a week when I was about 6wks pregnant. I was told to go home & wait for miscarriage. But my baby was absolutely fine in the end.

You should go to the hospital though, just so they can rule anything out & it will put your mind at rest. xx

kickingking Wed 17-Aug-11 20:48:25

I'm not bleeding though, and I'm not in real pain - more like uncomfortable?

bellediva Wed 17-Aug-11 20:56:38

well it could be implantation now then, when the egg burrows itself in your womb. I hear that can be quite uncomfortable for some women. Just try to relax though as I think if you were miscarrying you would be a lot more uncomfortable. Make sure you are getting plenty of rest for the moment & stay positive. xx

kickingking Wed 17-Aug-11 22:45:31

Do you think I should see my GP? I have no idea if this is normal.

I won't be climbing any mountains, but am trying to keep a four year old entertained - how much rest is plenty??

Anyone else have any insight?

Beamur Wed 17-Aug-11 22:50:56

I miscarried slightly later than that, but it started with slight bleeding with no pain, but over a couple of days the bleeding got much heavier accompanied by what felt like severe period pain.
It is not that unusual, although very worrying, to have some bleeding that ends with a perfectly normal, healthy baby.
If you are miscarrying, it is unlikely the doctors could do much to stop it, but they would be able to tell you if there is a viable pregnancy or not. If the bleeding continues and you are worried, you could ring your midwife if you have one, or your gp. I suspect at this stage you would need to go to hospital and have a scan to find out more.

stripeybump Wed 17-Aug-11 22:51:43

I had weird crampy pains for the first 8 or so weeks with this pregnancy and all is going swimmingly at 23 weeks smile

It's apparently the ligaments stretching. Try to take it easy - the main thing is that really early miscarriage isn't about you, it's about the embryo not being properly formed and being unviable. Almost like the sperm and egg not even meeting properly. I think he danger of early response POAS kits is that we expect every attempt by our bodies to create an embryo as a definite pregnancy. Just musing - the odds are on your side!

SouthGoingZax Wed 17-Aug-11 22:53:44

I had crampy pains with my last pregnancy early on. Normal. Try not to worry.

If you are miscarrying, you will have a bleed which is red and then a heavier than normal period. AT this stage if that happened (and there is no reason to think it will) you wouldn't need to go into a doctor as there wouldn't be anything they could do.

kickingking Wed 17-Aug-11 22:56:22

I agree, it's why I would never test until my period is late - I think before that personally I'd be better off not knowing if things went wrong.

I do need to know soon after that though because I need to make changes to how I manage my diabetes. I think the added complications of that make very anxious when pregnant sad

Glad to hear all is well with you after a crampy start smile

kickingking Wed 17-Aug-11 22:58:26

SouthGoingZax so what would I do? Just go to bed with some painkillers? sad

It's just worrying me because of being on holiday at 5/6 weeks.

SouthGoingZax Wed 17-Aug-11 23:02:38

Yes, would just be like a heavy period. Sorry if tmi but use pads rather than tampons if that happens.

If you've had the cramping and no bleeding for a week it seems to be very unlikely to be a mc. Sadly I am a mc veteran (had 5) and the cramping and bleeding always started within 24 hrs of each other.

As I said, my last (and successful (twin!) pregnancy) I had quite a lot of this cramping. Really try not to worry.

kickingking Wed 17-Aug-11 23:06:57

I'm sorry to hear about your miscarriages. And congratulations on your twins!

Thanks for the info, I don't mind tmi.

I was a nervous wreck during my (actually very healthy and uneventful) pregnancy with DS. Can't believe I've actually signed up for it again!

kickingking Wed 17-Aug-11 23:09:43

Beamur I somehow missed your post there. Thanks for the info.

I guess if anything happens while I am on holiday, I will have to ring NHS Direct or go to local A&E.

SouthGoingZax Wed 17-Aug-11 23:11:25

Yes the whole thing is nerve wracking, isn't it!

But congratulations and have a lovely holiday.
smile

bilblio Wed 17-Aug-11 23:27:25

I had crampy period type pains until I was about 8 or 9 weeks with both my pregnancies. With the first one I just kept cursing them them, and the achy boobs and "wishing this period would just hurry up and start". I worked shifts at the time and it was only when I started looking at the rota and remembering what shift I was on when I last had a period that I realised I was over 2 weeks late. blush

So try not to worry, it's very common.
Have you seen your GP yet though? I have to be referred to the midwife though my GP, so if you haven't already then get an appointment booked and you can discuss your diabetes with them anyway.

kickingking Thu 18-Aug-11 15:49:06

bilblio I have already made an appointment at the diabetic antenatal clinic for as soon as I get back from my holiday. I can phone the diabetes nurses anytime as well.

My GP knows I've had a postive test and, by his own admission, would not know how to advise a pregnant diabetic! In theory, I know what I am doing as I've been diabetic a long time, am considered to be well controlled, and have already had a very healthy pregnancy. My blood sugars are up the creek already though sad That's another thread though.

No cramps today but I'm shattered.

bilblio Thu 18-Aug-11 17:01:38

So far it sounds like a normal pregnancy, cramps, shattered, funny blood sugars. I'm not diabetic but I keep a chocolate biscuit in my bag as I get dizzy at times during the day. It was particularly bad for the first few weeks.

It might be worth searching for threads about diabetes and pregnancy, there might be some useful advice for you to bear in mind until you get everything properly sorted.

Hope you can relax enough to enjoy your holiday. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now