Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

When did your second baby engage?

(7 Posts)
KateBC Wed 17-Aug-11 19:31:52

Im pregnant with my second DC, and a couple of days ago I felt a huge amount of pressure in my pelvis, then today the midwife told me that the baby has begun to engage. I know that normally second babies don't engage until close to labour, but I am only 35.5weeks. Has anyone else had this?

DS was two weeks early, so was expecting this one to be a bit early, but would at least like to make it to 37weks! I'm hoping he'll come back out again, but I've been having other signs such as loose bowels that are making me panic a bit that this one is going to make an early entrance!

Sausagesarenottheonlyfruit Wed 17-Aug-11 19:39:30

Mine has engaged at around 35 weeks this pregnancy, but at my 37 week appt he was free floating again. I think in a 2nd pregnancy it isn't such an indicator of imminent labour.

I can tell when he's dropped down into my pelvis though, feels like a bowling ball between my legs - do you feel any pressure?

icravecheese Wed 17-Aug-11 19:40:25

My 2nd baby engaged about 10mins before show, and 20mins before contractions started. I too had the loose bowel movements (massive one at same time as show, sorry TMI!!)... however this all happened on my due date, so hopefully yours is just getting comfy for the next few wks!

KateBC Wed 17-Aug-11 19:56:00

Getting loads of pressure in my pelvis, but I have SPD this time, so I'm not sure if I'm more sensitive to it this time? Had an increase in discharge, to the extent that I'm not sure if it's the mucous plus going slowly or not? Didn't really notice it last time as my first sign of labour was my waters breaking quite spectacularly!

OnlyWantsOne Wed 17-Aug-11 19:57:34

she popped in and out for weeks, didnt finally go for it until the day i had my sweep

sittinginthesun Wed 17-Aug-11 20:06:57

I was similar to you and, yes, he did arrive early.

I felt a huge amount of pressure at 35 weeks, made myself rest (thankfully was on Mat Leave and eldest at nursery), and hung on until 36 plus 5.

He was fine, good size and treated as full term. Think he was just ready.

Good luck. X

KateBC Wed 17-Aug-11 20:27:09

I'm on maternity leave, but DS isn't at nursery, and DH works really long hours so there isn't much chance to rest.

My parents are able to help me a lot from now on, so that should ease things a bit, hopefully they'll take DS out for a bit so I can get a couple of naps in, and keep this one in!

Thanks for answering

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now