Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

midwife can't tell which way baby is lying at 31 weeks....

(12 Posts)
Ivortheengine8 Wed 17-Aug-11 18:45:44

I am not sure when they can usually tell but the last few times I have been to see the consultant (from about 24 weeks) they have told me that the baby is 'ceph'
Today I went to see another midwife at the Dr's and she said she couldn't tell which way baby was.

Does anyone know from when they can usually tell?

Restrainedrabbit Wed 17-Aug-11 18:48:54

Usually by your stage but I guess some people are more adept than others at doing it smile

icravecheese Wed 17-Aug-11 18:55:17

my midwife wasnt sure at 28wks - thought probably oblique with head towards left hip / legs towards right boob.

Then this wk at 31wk appt I had a locum midwife as mine is on hols - baby is now transverse with head on right, legs on left...work that one out!! I appear to have a spinning baby!!

I do have anterior placenta though, which I believe makes it abit more tricky to tell which way baby is lying. And this is my 3rd, so slack tummy muscles means its easy to move around in there.

My friend had a breech baby - they didn't realise until she went into labour at 36wks & they did an emergency scan before emerg c-section. All along they thought she was head down & turns out she wasn't. I guess its tricky - some babies have boney bums that perhaps feel like a head!

Ivortheengine8 Wed 17-Aug-11 19:22:46

By what stage do they start talking about C section for breeches?
This is my second crave so I expect my tummy muscles are a bit lax too.
I have posterior placenta.
I hope yours turns around soon, at least its only a half turn he will have to do! grin
If my baby's bum is anything like mine it won't be bony grin
I guess you are right though and some people are better at feeling it than otheres.

Pippaandpolly Wed 17-Aug-11 20:51:58

My midwife hasn't been able to tell for my last three appointments (i.e. since she started trying to check) - have got my 34 week appt on Friday so am really hoping she'll be able to tell then. It's making me nervous Ivor!

Ivortheengine8 Wed 17-Aug-11 21:50:18

Maybe we have the same midwife pippa, maybe she is just crap grin

Pippaandpolly Wed 17-Aug-11 21:54:14

Heh, you're not in York are you?! I'm wondering at what point she'll give up and send me for a scan to see, or whether it actually doesn't matter whether or not they can tell? It must, or they wouldn't bother checking, but she doesn't seem remotely fussed so I don't know whether I should be!

Ivortheengine8 Wed 17-Aug-11 21:58:27

No Pippa, In London sad
I'm not sure but I read somewhere they would send you for scan at 36 weeks if it was thought to be breech or unsure.

Eskarina Thu 18-Aug-11 07:29:23

I think 31 weeks is a bit early to be worried (though I'm slightly surprised they can't tell). Mine was transverse at 33 weeks, then at 36 week appt mw couldn't tell if it was ceph or breech so sent me for a presentation scan - she thought it might be an "unstable lie". But there was no talk of a c-section just a "we'll see what it's doing". It is ceph, now engaged but not going anywhere angry (40+3!)

Ivortheengine8 Thu 18-Aug-11 07:43:47

Oh good luck Eskarina, hope it comes soon smile
I'm not really worried yet just a bit surprised I guess. However, I am being consultant led and I think usually midwives are a little less happy to talk about c section than the Dr's no?

chorltonandthewheelies Thu 18-Aug-11 08:37:03

Hi Ivor I have the same situation, I'm 35 wks and had midwife yesterday and she is not sure but thinks baby is lying breech again, she hasn't been sure last few times either. To be fair to her baby keeps turning though even at this stage, feels horrible when she does it :-(

I guess I am fortunate in that I am def having a C-Sect so it doesnt matter as such which way she is lying but still I would like to know. I've got a scan next week so we'll see what she's up to at that point.

Its my fourth baby but first time I've had one lie breech and boy does it hurt your ribs!

Good Luck Eskarina!

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 18-Aug-11 08:39:45

I had the same problem with DC2, our local MW is just crap and a friend has even had an emergency c-section through and undiagnosed breech.

I waited till I was about 34 weeks then phoned the Consultant's secretary and they booked me in at the antenatal clinic.

Hope you get someone who knows what they are doing soon smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now