Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Someone at work has come down with shingles, I am 34 weeks pregnant but I have had chicken pox

(9 Posts)
reddaisy Wed 17-Aug-11 15:02:57

So am I right in thinking that it shouldn't pose a risk to me?

SaulGood Wed 17-Aug-11 15:09:37

You can catch chicken pox from shingles (not the other way round). But having had chicken pox before it's highly, highly likely that you're immune and therefore not at risk. Your midwife can do a simple blood test to check for you.

Mandyville Wed 17-Aug-11 15:11:06

Also, you can only catch chickenpox from the actual fluid in the shingles rash - i.e. it needs much closer contact with the afflicted than chickenpox.

SaulGood Wed 17-Aug-11 15:11:21

Meant to add, you can't catch shingles btw. So the only risk would be the cp risk and you've already had it.

reddaisy Wed 17-Aug-11 15:16:35

Thanks everyone. His doctor told him to tell anyone at work who is pregnant. I feel like they check for immunity to these things earlier in the pregnancy don't they?

I didn't even touch him when we spoke yesterday in the office so I thought any problems would be unlikely.

nunnie Wed 17-Aug-11 15:21:49

I spoke to my GP because my little girl and since little boy had chicken pox and my mum was certain I hadn't had it. My GP rang the lab to see if my booking in blood was there (was 27 weeks) as apparently they keep the blood here, they had it and checked and I was immune thankfully. My mum has since remembered that I had a jab for it along with other immunisations we were having for a move abroad.

reddaisy Wed 17-Aug-11 15:23:51

Gosh nunnie, if you weren't you might have had to go on a little holiday away from your little ones while they recovered.

SaulGood Wed 17-Aug-11 15:29:12

They don't routinely check for it here, don't know about elsewhere. DD had cp at easter and I had to have an immunity check.

nunnie Wed 17-Aug-11 15:37:10

No apparently there is an injection they can give you reddaisy, it would ahve been 6 weeks because DS didn't get his spots until 2 weeks after DD but a couple of hers took 2 weeks to scab and his were the same.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now