Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

When to increase food intake?

(15 Posts)
TeacupTempest Wed 17-Aug-11 11:59:13

Some info says you dont need to increase your daily food intake until 3rd trimester but others suggest 2nd. So which is it?

How can baby be growing so much without extra food? (without mum loosing weight I mean?)

Crosshair Wed 17-Aug-11 12:00:51

Dont you just eat when you feel hungry? or is that me being abit simple. smile

lolajane2009 Wed 17-Aug-11 12:01:58

2nd tri from what i've read.

RitaMorgan Wed 17-Aug-11 12:02:11

Just eat when you're hungry.

fuckityfuckfuckfuck Wed 17-Aug-11 12:03:39

A baby can grow fine with very little extra food. It's what our bodies are designed for. From what I remember it's only recommended to have an extra 300 or so calories from the third trimester. WHich is actually not that much, a few slices of toast maybe. But in reality I don't know anyone who was so scientific about it. Just eat when you're hungry

nunnie Wed 17-Aug-11 12:07:53

Didn't know there was a time, I just try to eat little and often to stop me getting over hungry.

I lost weight early in this pregnancy and have a previous history related to food, which means I can't mentally increase the food I eat, so I eat what I can but over a longer a period if that makes sense.

TeacupTempest Wed 17-Aug-11 12:16:38

Yes I would like to be able to just eat when I am hungry but I am recovering from anorexia and often struggle to eat enough each day - sometimes that's physical issues (feeling full or bloated) sometimes mental issues (panic and OCD). I just want to make sure my baby is getting all it should.

Crosshair Wed 17-Aug-11 12:53:03

Maybe consult your MW or doctor to help you create some sort of meal plan? Sorry if I sound ignorant but I dont really understand the complex workings of eating disorders. Hope you get some good advice. smile

TeacupTempest Wed 17-Aug-11 13:20:24

Thanks Crosshair but trying to avoid meal plans as that is just more regimented eating habits and I am trying to embrace normality.....well trying to work out what that is first!

Sandra2011 Wed 17-Aug-11 13:38:03

Good article regarding eating for two www.telegraph.co.uk/health/women_shealth/8598696/Eating-for-two-risks-harm-to-the-baby.html

RitaMorgan Wed 17-Aug-11 13:59:19

Could you ask for a referal to a dietician?

TeacupTempest Wed 17-Aug-11 14:08:51

MW and doctor know my history. I don't want to see a dietician as I know what is and isn't healthy. I was just hoping that there would be some consensus on when the baby would need more fuel from me. Currently my bloods are very good and little one is measuring right for dates so doing well so far.

MissRee Wed 17-Aug-11 14:18:15

In all honesty, the baby will take what it needs to grow before your body's needs are taken into account so you'd have to be eating next to nothing to affect your little beanie. If not enough calories/goodness is left after Baby has it's share, you'll start to feel ill so that might be a cue to eat some extras?

You know how your body works best and I would think that forcing yourself to eat more because you think you should may do more harm than good emotionally. Just follow your body's cues. Are you taking pregnancy multivits?

Well done on your progress with overcoming anorexia smile

Ria x

nunnie Wed 17-Aug-11 14:21:24

I have successfully got to end of my 2 almost 3 pregnancies having suffered from Bulmeia as a teenager. I managed it by doing as I said above eating my usual intake but over a longer period so little and often.

With this pregnancy I did suffer a little in the beginning and did infact lose weight due to a sudden without warning body issue. I am back on track now but can't eat anymore than I did prior to pregnancy.
As long as your diet is healthy and you aren't leaving eating till you are dizzy and nauseas then you should be fine, I find pre pregnancy I could leave it till this stage and just eat a little bit and that would fill me which obviously when you are expecting isn't really the best way to get yourself through the day. I find it better in my case to eat before I get to this stage then I can usually eat a little bit more which increases my energy levels and does for me stop me going into a hopeless cycle of sitting down and overthinking everything. Having 2 children already this really isn't and can't work and I have to keep myself strong for their sake so this method seems to work well for me.

TeacupTempest Wed 17-Aug-11 14:34:15

Thanks Ria smile Yes I am taking pregnancy multivits.

Thanks nunnie. Your right the over thinking is something I am also trying to avoid as it cycles into being negative and non productive and is far from healthy in itself.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now