Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Getting more migraines....

(7 Posts)
Minstrelsaremarvellous Wed 17-Aug-11 11:27:42

Have just got to 16 weeks and I'm currently averaging 1 migraine a week (i normally get them 2-3 times a year). Saw GP and they gave me painkillers. blood pressure is normal. Not having the most fun time as have just had amnio as high risk 1:65 for DS. ANyone else get more migraines? ANY advice much appreciated!

ghosteditor Wed 17-Aug-11 11:39:36

Hi minstrel, sorry to hear that. I'm at 19 weeks now and have had a lot more headaches and migraines in the second trimester, and I've heard from loads of MNers, some of whom don't normally have headaches, who've had lots too.

It could be related to muscle tension so do try stretching out your back and neck. One thing that works for me is to roll up a bath towel and lie down on the floor with the towel supporting my neck; only the very back of your head should touch the floor, so you can let it hang a bit. It helps my neck muscles to relax and stops a lot of the tension associated with my migraines.

Hope they stop soon.

Minstrelsaremarvellous Wed 17-Aug-11 11:48:18

thanks ghosteditor - will defo try that thanks! I've got a really kind and helpful boss at work but really don't want to be seen to be taking the mickey...

Sunshinecurl Wed 17-Aug-11 15:24:06

I had exactly the same and then another spurt of them from 30 weeks onwards. On another post on here, a very helpful poster suggested that Magnesium may be a miracle cure and, since upping my intake (remembering to take Pregnacare more like!) I haven't had any migraines at all. Certainly worth a try as I found that the paracetamol was just not doing the trick...

Minstrelsaremarvellous Wed 17-Aug-11 16:02:03

Magnesium? Is there extra in pregnancy vitamins?

kelly2000 Wed 17-Aug-11 19:47:27

I am prone to headaches normally, but have had a lot more and wrose since becoming pregnant. I have had very bad morning sickness, and I think the headaches were down to dehydration. This is going to sound really stupid, but I have found having a bacon sandwich (well grilled with all the fat cut off) really helped -think this may because of the salt, which helped me retain water and become less dehydrated.

banana87 Wed 17-Aug-11 22:58:07

My migranes were bad until about 20 weeks, when they slowed and have now stopped. As you are in the 2nd trimester you can take ibuprofen, and co-codamol.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now