Talk

Advanced search

When did you tell DC1 that DC2 is/was on it's way?

(8 Posts)
SurprisEs Wed 17-Aug-11 10:17:27

I'm not planning on telling DD almost until the end. Maybe 3 weeks before. She is 2.1yrs and I think 9 months is to long to wait for something you don't even understand.

How and when did you tell your child?

icravecheese Wed 17-Aug-11 10:25:18

DC1 was only 1yr old when I fell pregnant with DC2. We told him that mummy had a baby in tummy and bought a great book to read to him (There's a house inside my mummy) which he loved, but didnt really realise a baby would arrive until she actually did.

Now preg with DC3, found out when DC1 was 4yrs and DC2 was 2yrs....DC1 totally understands & is lovely about it. DC2 does understand (often cuddles my enormous bump and says 'mummys baby') but I had to tell her in 1st trimester because she kept jumping on my tummy so I had to explain that mummy has a baby in there & to be gentle.

We got the good old 'Theres a house inside my mummy' book out again, and they both love having it read to them.

MIght be worth getting a book to help explain things...I am guessing your DD will wonder what is in your tummy / why its getting bigger. My 2yr old defintely wanted to know what was going on when I started to show. She isnt impatient either - we just talk about when baby arrives, & that they take a long time to make in your tummy.

SurprisEs Wed 17-Aug-11 10:33:46

Icravecheese- thanks, i'll look for a book like that. Still not sure when to tell her. I think it'll just come out one day.

Africagirl1 Wed 17-Aug-11 10:41:27

I waited till I started showing

legsy Wed 17-Aug-11 10:50:58

Definitely get the "There's a house inside my mummy" book by Giles Andrae - though be warned, it might make you cry!
I'm due in October with DC2 and DC1 is now just over 3. I left it till over 20 weeks to tell our son as I'd had 2 miscarriages and this pregnancy got a bit risky around 16-19 weeks (all fine now thankfully) but we were really prompted by him - he started asking where babies come from etc. so it was pretty obvious that it was time to tell him. He did also seem to be getting a bit stressed (a few more tantrums) - I think he realised that something was going on that he wasn't in on, and he certainly seemed more relaxed once we'd told him

SurprisEs Wed 17-Aug-11 10:56:07

Legsy- glad everything is ok now.

I'm defenitly worried about the tantrums. DD is very jealous of other children getting "too friendly" with me.

daimbardiva Wed 17-Aug-11 10:57:37

MY ds is 2 and I told him when it became obvious that something was going on tummy-wise, and when I needed him to be gentle and stop jumping on me! We don't dwell on it, and certainly don't talk about when it might come out (he has no concept of time obviously) but he does understand there's a baby in there, and cuddles it, and tries to give it cars etc. through my belly button (hmmmm..)

banana87 Wed 17-Aug-11 14:20:09

When I started to show. DD is 2.11 now and knows baby is coming out at "Christmas" (due Nov. 22).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now