Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Itching but mainly at night.

(9 Posts)
dribbleface Wed 17-Aug-11 08:14:41

Quick question. am getting increasingly itchy but by far mainly at night, and a little during day. should i worry, if it was OC would it not be all the time? I'm 33 weeks by the way.

Bunbaker Wed 17-Aug-11 08:18:10

There is only one way to find out. I would ring your midwife and get a professional opinion.

titferbrains Wed 17-Aug-11 08:23:40

call doc asap as the tests for OC take a while to be processed. I have it and I definitely don't itch all the time. Typically the itching is on your palms and soles of feet, but mine is mostly on my feet and legs. This is about the time it starts (after 30 weeks) and it's important that your hospital monitors your liver numbers every week as they can change dramatically.

Hope that it's not OC for your/baby's sake!

dribbleface Wed 17-Aug-11 08:35:24

Will give GP a call as midwife is impossible to contact! I hope its not OC too, think my body is trying for as many pregnancy symptoms it can, have SPD, low platelets, irritible uterus. Serves me right for having a problem free pregnancy last time!

titferbrains Wed 17-Aug-11 08:38:04

bypass midwife/GP if you can and see if your hosp has a day assessment unit or just call the delivery suite direct and ask them for the best number to ring. Just best to be seen quickly.

Cherrybug Wed 17-Aug-11 10:41:47

OC is often much worse at night so yes you need to be checked out asap. I had it in my first pregnancy and have been told I'm likely to get it again so am panicking about every little itch (I'm currently 28 weeks).

They will be able to diagnose via blood test. It often takes a few days to get serum bile acid results but they can see very quickly if your liver function is problematic. And levels can change daily to they need to monitor you if you do have it.

Hope it isnt OC as it's really not nice but if it is, they will monitor you closely and may induce early. Best of luck - let us know how you get on.

NoobyNoob Wed 17-Aug-11 13:28:59

Get thee to the doctors and get tested for OC.

BrassicaBabe Wed 17-Aug-11 15:29:40

Yep, get to the docs and get tested.

But as a side-line though, I had the same problem with itching especialy at night, was tested and it was negative. So had to live with the itching. I found that a shower followed by slathering myself with moisturiser of any description helped. Heaps of it. Also, embarrassingly, silk PJs! The smoothness and silkiness was just about bareable on my skin. I put the itchyness down to hyper-sensitive dry pg skin.

HTH

nunnie Wed 17-Aug-11 15:35:08

Holy poop, I have had this for weeks but just put it down to being tired.

I had a FBC done on Monday can they check that, or is it Serum they need as I only had EDTA taken?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now