Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Shopping for a cot mattress... advice please

(6 Posts)
ALovelyBunchOfCoconuts Tue 16-Aug-11 19:49:08

It seems there are different types.

Sprung? Deluxe sprung? Foam?

I'm pretty sure DD had a foam one. We'll be buying from amazon as we have a gift certificate to use for it so are there any specific brands I should be looking for? Any recommendations would be gratefully received smile

TIA

AKMD Tue 16-Aug-11 20:36:47

Ooh, nice to have a gift certificate, mattresses are so expensive!

I work for a medtech company that does medical mattresses as one product line, so here's my advice:

Foam mattresses often start sagging in the middle after a while so I would go for a sprung one that offers more support. You can get pocket air-sprung mattresses but these tend to be quite expensive and as you're buying for a cot rather than a cot bed a normal coil-sprung mattress will easily last 2-3 years. Also look out for one that has an Advantex or other type of breathable, temperature-balancing cover that zips off and off for washing. Get a spare cover! Avoid anything that doesn't come with a cover and says 'wipe-clean' as they will make your LO sweat.

ALovelyBunchOfCoconuts Tue 16-Aug-11 20:46:05

I found this?

Thanks for your advice there smile

I remember DDs foam one sagged really badly and I had to flip it, turn it, squidge it to try and get it to be more supportive.

I had no idea there was anything other than foam available so this is news to me!!

AKMD Tue 16-Aug-11 20:57:10

Looks fine to me. It says wipe-clean but it isn't doesn't look like it's a horrible sheet of plastic.

Just make sure it fits the cot you're getting though - the gap between the mattress and the side of the cot should be no more than 4cm with the mattress firmly wedged against the opposite side. If the cot is online, it should have details to say which size mattress it needs.

ALovelyBunchOfCoconuts Tue 16-Aug-11 21:12:28

Yes it says that's the size it needs. 120x60 i think off the top of my head without checking.

Flisspaps Tue 16-Aug-11 21:16:43

We have this one for DD. She's been sleeping on it for about a year now and it's still the right shape, no sagging etc. I do flip it every time I change the sheets though so that one side/end gets more wear than the other.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now