Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Be honest - are you all eating super-healthily?

(50 Posts)
YouDoTheMath Tue 16-Aug-11 10:39:26

Because I'm not. sad

Can't stop stuffing myself with chocolate and cakes. sad sad

I try to get in a few fruit and veg, but unless it's the weekend I don't manage the whole 5-a-day thing...

vallinnapod Tue 16-Aug-11 10:52:35

Swings and roundabouts! Lived off fruit, salad, lean meat, fish etc before I got PG. For the first 8-9 weeks completely went off salad and fruit! All I wanted was really cheap crisps (like the 25p Space Invaders....ohhh, want some now!) I improved a bit in the middle but was eating far more salty things than normal (TBH had no added salt on anything beforehand so probably not as bad as I thought!) and then at about 32 weeks I went right back to the salad/fruit aversion!

37+2 now and I try and eat loads of protein (omelette with ham for brekkie today) and snack on fruit but I really don't beat myself up over the rest. The baby has now invaded the food space so I can't eat nearly as much as I could before!

Craving diet coke at the moment (have not really had any caffeine - actually I lie, chocolate) so am giving in to that a couple of times a week at the moment....

Heartburn helps me behave a little as one cure is frozen yoghurt (ice cream makes it worse hmm) so I figure it's healthy and full of calcium [kiddingmyself]

nunnie Tue 16-Aug-11 10:54:57

With 1st ate healthy throughout, with 2nd ate unhealthy throughout. With this one started off unhealthy but appear to be more healthy based now.

YouDoTheMath Tue 16-Aug-11 10:57:25

nunnie was the second one healthy as a baby? I'm worried I'm creating an unhealthy baby!

Ilovekittyelise Tue 16-Aug-11 10:58:15

both! eat very healthy meals and tonnes of fruit and veg because i love it, but also stuff my face with chocolate the whole time and keep meeting other giant wilderbeast creatures in starbucks and costa and have giant mocha frapuccinos with loads of cream on top.

nunnie Tue 16-Aug-11 11:00:00

Is only 10 months at the moment, and apart from an issue with his bladder and kidney which was spotted on 20 week scan he is healthy. Despite also being 4 weeks early.

msbuggywinkle Tue 16-Aug-11 11:04:22

Mixed here. With DD1 I ate amazingly healthily, craved raw spinach blah blah blah. With DD2 it was healthily but not quite so PFB about it, with DD3 (due in Dec) I seem to have a few days of eating rubbish, then a week of uber-healthiness.

DD1 and 2 both very healthy, DD2 possibly more so but there are other factors involved that meant DD1 was ill for a few weeks as a newborn.

Macaroona Tue 16-Aug-11 11:07:34

Nope!

Best of intentions, but awful morning sickness during first 18 weeks meant all I ate was crisps, cereal, doughnuts, chocolate, yoghurt and choc milk!

Still can't face much meat or veg, especially the smell of preparing it.

Just had 20wk scan and all looks ok so hoping the vitamin pills are balancing my diet a bit!

tunnocksteacake Tue 16-Aug-11 11:25:58

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Crosshair Tue 16-Aug-11 11:40:54

Im trying to eat healthy, its not as easy as I thought it would be. I now seem to love junk and hate veg.

Bumpsadaisie Tue 16-Aug-11 12:11:16

With DD I was terrible - chocolate, plain pasta, junk food etc and hundreds of sherbert lemons, esp in the first trimester when could barely stomach anything.

This time round (suspect a DS!) I actually crave fruit, salads, veg, tasty cheese, lentils etc far more than chocolate and sweets. However this is offset by a parallel craving for burger king .... which I indulge about once a week.

somewherewest Tue 16-Aug-11 12:11:20

As soon as I found out I was pregnant I bought an incredibly elaborate book on the ideal pregnancy diet...which went straight back on the shelf a week later when I started feeling sick and has been gathered dust ever since grin.

I now try to get five a day, take pregnacare and Omega 3 and eat a 'healthy' dinner every evening, but I still enjoy chocolate etc. Its just getting a balance. And I did have a massive craving for junk food in the first five months (I'm naturally thin and was borderline underweight when I got preg, so I think this was my body's way of fatteningup). My mother on the other drank, smoked and lived on junk food right through her pregnancy with me, only to produce a ridiculously healthy baby and toddler. There are all sorts of factors at work in a baby's health.

LoveBeingAtHomeOnMyOwn Tue 16-Aug-11 12:13:29

I've just finished a large big mac meal and chicken nuggets grin

dribbleface Tue 16-Aug-11 12:13:49

I ate very very healthily with DS, he was the poorly baby from hell (has only really been well for long periods since he turned 2!) This time (33 weeks) am trying to be but to be honest not as much, cravign salt on everything.

kri5ty Tue 16-Aug-11 12:15:02

23 weeks here.... and not healthy AT ALL... bacon butties everyday, egg sandwiches and what ever is in the freeze, i also crave junk food. I have also done no exercise at all!!

Again i was slim before i got pregnant, so i also think its my bodies way of putting on weight, i am now nearly 10 stone (nearly 2 stone heavier!)

I do take pregnacare and omega 3 tablets though, and i think i am coming out of the junk food stage!

kri5ty Tue 16-Aug-11 12:16:20

Ps my bump is nicknames "nugget" after the stupid amounts of chicken nuggets i eat! I could keep our local maccies in business all on my own!!

nannyl Tue 16-Aug-11 12:17:14

I am definitley trying...

was always a healthy home cooked food person anyway, and was extra healthy when TTC.
However i quickly got HG and then no i did NOT eat healthily. I barely ate at all but almost all i ate was 'junk' and i drank things like coke and aspartane containing squashes which i normally never ever touch.(being the only things i could keep down)
I went a whole entire month with no fruit or veg in any form at all. (also no vits and no folic acid as that also made me sick)

I have been improving since about 16 weeks, and have been back into eating mainly healthy food since about 20 weeks, am now 36 weeks.

Im having home made cakes / biscuits, but eating 3 healthy nutritous meals per day, and also laods and loads of fruit and veg which i just cant eat enough of!
Also water is now my drink of choice so much better!

nannyl Tue 16-Aug-11 12:18:52

just to add while i try and eat a healthy breakfast i almost always vomit it so it doesnt really count!

EsmeWeatherwax Tue 16-Aug-11 12:40:38

God, no. I was at the start, craving peaches and lots of fruit, now, not so much. Took vits as well, not so much now, as tablets make me sick. My only comfort is I'm drinking lots of milk, and eating a approx. 1lb of tomatoes a day...I'm actually doing better in this pregnancy than with the previous two, dd1 is made almost entirely of greggs sausage rolls, mcdonalds and yazoo flavoured milk. She's very healthy though!

KikiRC Tue 16-Aug-11 12:44:41

I'm really trying to eat healthily- I'm veggie and my normal diet is very good, I think- loads of veg/ rice/ nuts/ bread- I mostly cook from scratch.

When I first found out (at 5 weeks) I was pregnant, I ate really well- all the right things, but the last couple of weeks I've been struggling with terrible nausea, and I've been having loads of lemonade & boiled sweets to keep my energy levels up, and eating crisps which are one of the few things I can stomach. Also just toast & butter, and savory biscuits with cheese. I take the vitamins, and try to eat extra fruit when I can manage it, and if I'm feeling better I do manage a good healthy meal now and then, but TBH if I didn't eat the crisps/ sweets I don't think I would manage anything at all. Certainly not how I planned it!

AKP79 Tue 16-Aug-11 13:14:06

I've been really worrying about this too! I'm 18 weeks and have been trying to eat healthily porridge or weetabix for breakfast, fruit or yoghurt as snacks, salad for lunch then something like spag bol or chicken and veg for dinner with an ice lolly for pud, but I wish that was all I was eating. I also seem to manage a bar of chocolate and a packet of crisps on top of that every day. I too am worried about the effect eating the rubbish will have on my baby, but despite this I don't seem to have ANY will power! sad

Alliwantisaroomsomewhere Tue 16-Aug-11 13:19:08

I am 8 weeks and have just scoffed two hot dogs and a glass of ginger beer. Last night's salad made me feel really sick after one mouthful. So I had cereal and crisps. Oh, and ginger beer.

In short: I am eating horrendously, but I have morning sickness and I am worried sick about there being something wrong so I am comfort eating, too (and for two!)

LoveInAColdClimate Tue 16-Aug-11 13:30:18

I am 9+3 and have thankfully started wanting mostly nectarines and avocado, but before that I was living on salt and vingegar crisps, cereal and (the shame) Gregg's sausage rolls. Feeling so grim and not wanting anything healthy was a big shock as pre-pregnancy I was eating very heathily (especially as my accupunturist had put me on a special diet to help the TTC efforts). I ate McDonalds yesterday though which I don't think I had done for some 15 years pre-pregnancy grin. I am assured that babies are most effective parasites and will just leach whatever nutrients they need out of your body's reserves so if there is any way you can keep some pregnancy vitamins down they might be a good move. I have been taking the Boots own ones as I don't like the taste of Pregnacare.

soymama Tue 16-Aug-11 13:31:50

I lived on peanut butter sandwiches.

<regrets nothing>

ragged Tue 16-Aug-11 13:32:03

Chocolate & fizzy drinks were my main food groups when pg, (sigh).
I had bad morning sickness for 9-12 weeks, though, was just a game of survival, really.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now