Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Weight gain @ 26w...

(10 Posts)
glitternanny Tue 16-Aug-11 07:16:54

I got on the scales at work yesterday - eak - at 26w I'm about a stone and a half heavier - BAD BAD me - I'm trying not to let it get to me, im not gonna start gyming and dieting now! So much for my being healthy while pregnant
sad

figgygal Tue 16-Aug-11 07:21:08

Im almost there at 24 weeks sad

CollieandPup Tue 16-Aug-11 07:30:21

26wks and just over a stone. I seemed to have been a stone heavier for a couple of weeks to so am expecting another growth spurt soon. I keep worrying about it- especially as my mw commented I might want to try to not put too much weight on at my apt last week, shock but I'm not giving up food, it's my last and only pleasure!!! Besides, I think it's about normal.

IssyStark Tue 16-Aug-11 09:43:47

That's a fairly normal weight gain.

You'd be expected to gain about 2 stone in pregnancy if you started with a normal BMI according to my midwife, more if you were towards the lower end of normal. You need the fat reserves for breastfeeding which takes up a huge amount of calories.

With ds I lost a stone in the first six weeks despite it being Christmas so loads of yummy food and then having at least one cake a day in January. That was just through breastfeeding alone.

TeacupTempest Tue 16-Aug-11 10:16:19

I would think that fell into the normal expectations? Is starting going to the gym the best thing right now if you aren't used to it? And dieting?

crazyhead Tue 16-Aug-11 10:38:37

I've put on a stone and 4 pounds (27 weeks) and assumed that was normal! I think a stone and a half is OK - if it was three stone then yeah maybe something would be up, but I think that just sounds like a healthy pregnancy where things are going well

somewherewest Tue 16-Aug-11 14:44:30

I really wouldn't worry. I've gained one and a half stone at 25 weeks and the GP was perfectly happy with that. I started off borderline underweight (am naturally thin). Our bodies evolved to cope in situations where food was often scarce so its perfectly natural to store up a bit extra for pregnancy and breastfeeding.

somewherewest Tue 16-Aug-11 14:45:28

PS Just to add my MIL started off borderline underweight with both her pregnancies and gained three stone, which she lost again in a year in both cases. Everyone's body is different.

glitternanny Tue 16-Aug-11 21:03:31

Thanks for all your replies - I was overweight when I started sad when I found out my dieting and exercising stopped.... when I saw the MW at 8w I'd put on a few lbs already.... hence I'm off for a Gestational Diabeties test next week.

edwinbear Tue 16-Aug-11 21:51:12

1 stone 4lbs at 26 weeks here starting from 10 stone and 5ft 6 inches with normal BMI.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: