Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Weight gain @ 26w...

(10 Posts)
glitternanny Tue 16-Aug-11 07:16:54

I got on the scales at work yesterday - eak - at 26w I'm about a stone and a half heavier - BAD BAD me - I'm trying not to let it get to me, im not gonna start gyming and dieting now! So much for my being healthy while pregnant
sad

figgygal Tue 16-Aug-11 07:21:08

Im almost there at 24 weeks sad

CollieandPup Tue 16-Aug-11 07:30:21

26wks and just over a stone. I seemed to have been a stone heavier for a couple of weeks to so am expecting another growth spurt soon. I keep worrying about it- especially as my mw commented I might want to try to not put too much weight on at my apt last week, shock but I'm not giving up food, it's my last and only pleasure!!! Besides, I think it's about normal.

IssyStark Tue 16-Aug-11 09:43:47

That's a fairly normal weight gain.

You'd be expected to gain about 2 stone in pregnancy if you started with a normal BMI according to my midwife, more if you were towards the lower end of normal. You need the fat reserves for breastfeeding which takes up a huge amount of calories.

With ds I lost a stone in the first six weeks despite it being Christmas so loads of yummy food and then having at least one cake a day in January. That was just through breastfeeding alone.

TeacupTempest Tue 16-Aug-11 10:16:19

I would think that fell into the normal expectations? Is starting going to the gym the best thing right now if you aren't used to it? And dieting?

crazyhead Tue 16-Aug-11 10:38:37

I've put on a stone and 4 pounds (27 weeks) and assumed that was normal! I think a stone and a half is OK - if it was three stone then yeah maybe something would be up, but I think that just sounds like a healthy pregnancy where things are going well

somewherewest Tue 16-Aug-11 14:44:30

I really wouldn't worry. I've gained one and a half stone at 25 weeks and the GP was perfectly happy with that. I started off borderline underweight (am naturally thin). Our bodies evolved to cope in situations where food was often scarce so its perfectly natural to store up a bit extra for pregnancy and breastfeeding.

somewherewest Tue 16-Aug-11 14:45:28

PS Just to add my MIL started off borderline underweight with both her pregnancies and gained three stone, which she lost again in a year in both cases. Everyone's body is different.

glitternanny Tue 16-Aug-11 21:03:31

Thanks for all your replies - I was overweight when I started sad when I found out my dieting and exercising stopped.... when I saw the MW at 8w I'd put on a few lbs already.... hence I'm off for a Gestational Diabeties test next week.

edwinbear Tue 16-Aug-11 21:51:12

1 stone 4lbs at 26 weeks here starting from 10 stone and 5ft 6 inches with normal BMI.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now