Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Would you use TENS after day like today? Or stick with other pain relief methods?

(10 Posts)
Eviepoo Mon 15-Aug-11 20:24:33

Last night I was awake for 4 hours will the most horrific wind pains and then today I had a check up at the day assessment unit. CTG for an hour followed by fluid scan and examination by doctor.
The internal was hellish (last weeks was uncomfortable - todays was just awful).
The doc however said that there has been no change - cervix still not thinned and dilated, so I will do all the above again next Monday and they will make a date for induction within the following week.
FYI I am 39+1 and I have GD hence the extra checks and the induction by 41w at latest.
I just feel so tender and sore all over, even my shoulders ache, but most of all of course is inside and my bump.
I am considering putting on the TENS - in the hope that it makes me feel better I may actually sleep tonight. Would you? or would you keep the TENS for labour pains and make do with paracetamol, a cuppa and a hot bath or shower?
DH said he doesn't want me 'getting used to the TENS' as he is worried it won't be as effective during labour then - I think he is talking poop.

zabwino Mon 15-Aug-11 21:04:16

You won't 'get used' to TENS as you can always change the frequency or increase the intensity to make sure you can still feel it. Failing that, take it off for an hour then put back on again.
TENS isn't really recommended outside of labour, (no absolute evidence that it doesn't affect the baby, but then again no evidence that it does, as far as I know), but at 39+1 I personally would use it if I felt it was necessary.

wheelshavefallenoffthebus Mon 15-Aug-11 21:21:29

I'm a Physio and regularly give out tens to PG women for back pain etc. There us no evidence it will harm the baby. It's a good idea to use it before labour anyway so you know what to do. If you need more info about it being safe in pregnancy check out website www.electrotherapy.org. Hope you feel more comfortable soon!

Flisspaps Mon 15-Aug-11 21:42:49

I would use it after sticking-- the pads too DHs-- knackers with the power on full as a punishment for talking shite wink

Flisspaps Mon 15-Aug-11 21:43:09

Buggery spaces went to cock on that one sad

Eviepoo Mon 15-Aug-11 21:57:44

hahaha was funny tho Flisspaps

Thanks guys I have had a warm shower/taken 2 paracetamol and if I still ache in a while I will try the TENS on low for a bit

Mayeb I should make DH give me massage for talking shite....

wheels I used one in labour with DD....albeit that was 12 years ago this Oct, I thought it was ace (stayed at home until contractions 2 mins apart using it) - hence why getting one again this time.

Maybe I have gone wimpy but I can't remember the internal examinations being that sore...

alicedee Tue 16-Aug-11 21:46:23

Hey Eviepoo, just visiting from the august thread. I had an internal today too and OUCH! now. I bloody ache in so many new ways. It was useless anyway as cervix still long. Sadistic MW was rough. I feel violated. I never thought of using the tens. If it works let me know, maybe I'd give it a go.
Hope your nether regions feel better soon. I'm dragging my sorry, sore arse off to bed to roll around all night not sleeping, and sulking.....
Grrrrrrr....

Eviepoo Tue 16-Aug-11 22:33:20

Yeah - rolling around all night not sleeping - that sounds familiar.

I did put on the TENS last night for an hour - I felt so much better for it.

Sandra2011 Wed 17-Aug-11 13:55:34

I used TENS during my labour but I didn't find it much help.

I think it probably helped more mentally.

wheelshavefallenoffthebus Wed 17-Aug-11 19:00:51

I used tens in labour but only the early stages. More of a useful distraction I thought! Once labour developed it started to annoy me a bit so I took it off

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now