Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Measuring large for dates.

(15 Posts)
sleepevader Mon 15-Aug-11 20:23:41

Anyone else had a sudden growth and measuring large?

Im measuring 4 weeks extra at 28 wk check.

Little worried. Midwife didnt make much of it but wasnt my usual one and found her a little dismissive

Eviepoo Mon 15-Aug-11 20:32:44

I have been measuring big since about week 28, and I have GD (borderline but they are keeping a close eye on me) and thus had plenty scans - baby is not so big, is just over 50th centile, yet by measurements week by week by week I am 2-3cm over, I have quit worrying now, I think I am having another lanky one (todays scan showed he/she was all curled up in there) DD was very long born.
You'll probably find at your next check you may measure 2 over - babies have growth spurts.
If your MW measures you again next time and gets a measurement 3 or more cm over - just ask her to refer you to scan - she most likely will.

sleepevader Mon 15-Aug-11 20:38:56

Thank you.

Well only 10 days til I see my normal midwife. Had GTT today so hoping I dont have GD.

I cant remember measuring large last time. I wish I had made a copy of my antenatal notes!

My partners two previous children were massive at birth so a little worried.

Eviepoo Mon 15-Aug-11 20:49:23

well 10 days is ot too long and different people can measure differently. You can explain your worries to your usual MW

Yeah my DH is not DD's dad and I was a bit worried that the change may have meant this one was huge (he was big). By DH is also tall (6'). Albeit not as tall as DD's biological father (6'4'').
DD is 12 in October and is a half cm shorter than me now!! (I'm just over 5'4'')

Maybe I just can cook tall ones....

sleepevader Mon 15-Aug-11 21:23:29

Thank you. Was going to cancel appt as they did check today but going to go along and plead ignorance.......

sleepevader Tue 16-Aug-11 21:33:58

Just wondering if anyone else had any experiences of this.........

NoodieRoodie Tue 16-Aug-11 21:38:13

I measured 1cm over at 27 weeks and at todays appt I was 4 over, I'm 30+3. Was measured by the student MW, then my regular MW measured me and got the same measurement, neither of them seemed overly worried.

sleepevader Tue 16-Aug-11 21:39:50

Thank you. Did they mention presentation. Mine was Ceph on left side with back slightly to mine.

ItsNotUnusual Tue 16-Aug-11 21:40:00

Me too. I'm 31 + 4 today and at my 28 mdwife appointment I was measuring 4 bigger too!! I always measure 3 bigger anyway so I dong worry at all. Last baby was 8lb 9 born one day early and was an easy pops labour.
However it wasn't my usual midwife that measured me and she was a real fuss pot so insisted I went for a growth scan.
Baby's head was on 50% line and waist on the 51% line. Pretty average!

ToriaPumpkinPasty Tue 16-Aug-11 21:52:55

I was measuring four cm over at 28 week check (was nearly 29 weeks) but the MW didn't seem too fussed, I've been 2cm over all the way through so far, had a second GTT today and have a growth scan at 34 weeks booked. So far every time I've been scanned the baby has measured absolutely bang on for dates so we'll see what they say next time!

sleepevader Tue 16-Aug-11 22:39:31

Thank you. I think Im just worried as I am awaiting results of GTT too

icravecheese Wed 17-Aug-11 08:22:47

Hand up!! I'm measuring large too... 3cm over at 28wks, and 3cm over at 31wk appt (yesterday morning). Again, midwife didnt seem too concerned - this is my 3rd baby & I have never measured big with previous pregs. ALthough I do make largish babies (8lb3 then 8lb8, so reckon this one could be a 9lb-er!)

My midwife explained that they tend to worry more about measuring small for dates or no growth in Fundal height btwn appts as this suggests some sort of growth restriction or placenta problems. I am having a scan in 2 wks to check a low lying placenta, so she just tagged onto the scan card to check growth and amniontic fluid levels. But to be honest, I dont think she would have sent me for growth scan if I didnt have placental one booked anyway.

Apparently big babies are easier to birth than little ones confused

iskra Wed 17-Aug-11 09:27:38

Fundal height is a bit unreliable. I was measured at 34 when I was 30w by one midwife, & at 32 when I was 36 by another hmm. One of the hospitals near me doesn't bother with it anymore.

ToriaPumpkinPasty Wed 17-Aug-11 10:55:10

What Iksra said, my mum is a midwife and doesn't use a tape measure at all, she just goes on feel. I've seen another midwife (different area) who is the same and to be honest I was much more reassured by her than I was my regular one, especially as my regular one has a habit, despite me having SPD in big letters on my notes, of pushing down hard on my Pubic Symphysis to find where to measure from.

Kimmie30 Wed 17-Aug-11 13:20:36

I have the problem of measuring much smaller to my actual weeks. I am 28+6 and got rushed for an emergency growth scan last week as i had'nt grown at all in 4 weeks and it turns out he is a chunk of a baby weighing 2lb 11ozs at 27+6 weeks and being much over the 50 centile! Panicking i am going to have a massive fatty!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now