Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Small for dates at 34 weeks?

(15 Posts)
hazelnutlatte Mon 15-Aug-11 18:58:51

Just wondering if anyone has experience of this, at 28 weeks I measured 28, at 31 weeks it was 29 and now at 34 weeks I am only measuring 30. Am worried because the growth was normal and now seems to have stopped! I'll be going for a growth scan some time this week - can anyone tell me what to expect or what might be causing the baby to be measuring small?

acatcalledfelix Mon 22-Aug-11 19:55:42

I'm in the same boat and have a scan booked in for wed. They measured me today and it seems to be the same as it was three weeks ago. I think we should focus on how inaccurate these measurements can be and see what the scan says.
Good luck smile

Valiant1 Mon 22-Aug-11 21:05:05

i'm in the same boat 34 weeks and measureing small going on Thursday for a doppler then the week after for a growth scan. Am so worried.

dribbleface Mon 22-Aug-11 21:24:46

i measured 3 weeks behind with ds, normal up to 31 weeks. growth scan showed all fine. fundal height is not very accurate. ds born 6lb 13, and perfect. hope all is ok.

babylily Mon 22-Aug-11 21:31:34

Hi there, I just wanted to offer a little reassurance. At 34 weeks I measured 26 weeks (the same as I had at 26 weeks). I was told this was 'significant', I would need weekly scans and probably prem delivery...I obviously went home and stressed myself out completely...
Growth scan later that week measured baby as on the 50th centile and with exactly right amount of fluid...I'm just carrying very small.
I'm now 38 weeks and measure 29cm. With dc1 I was ginormous, with dc2 I measured 34cm at 41 weeks and she was 9lb....
Please try not to worry, it doesn't have to mean anything scary, and can just be how you are carrying (I am not very tall and just seem to carry these babies inwards rather than out!) A midwife I know told me that they don't even measure any more in her Health Trust as it can be so inaccurate.
On the other side, if they do identify any issues with growth you will be very closely monitored, have weekly scans etc to ensure baby is delivered safely and when it needs to be.
Good luck.x

PotPourri Mon 22-Aug-11 21:33:45

I had this at 29 weeks. Got a scan and although the bump measured small, the baby measured spot on. I am small, and the baby was 7lb4, so an ok weight (smaller than average but not tiny). Get the scan before you start worrying. It might be to do with how much fluid you have and how much your poor organs have moved internally to make space!

Good luck, hope it is all ok

Valiant1 Mon 22-Aug-11 21:41:58

Unfortunatly mine is from growth scan am hoping it's wrong xx

PotPourri Mon 22-Aug-11 22:29:35

Could it be that the baby was always small, just that the bump wasn't? I.e. they wouldn't have known the exact sizes before they did the growth scan...

meredithgrey Mon 22-Aug-11 22:38:27

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Hebrewlass Mon 22-Aug-11 22:53:24

Hi
My DD was small for dates from week 32+. It maybe that you have had an undetected virus that's affected baby's growth, or it could be a placental problem. You may have undetected Pre eclampsia like I did , which can slow the growth of the baby down. Familiarise yourself with signs and symptoms by looking at the APEC website ( action for Pre eclampsia ). My DD was born at 34 weeks due to growth retardation from pe . I didn't have any symptoms until the last minute but got referred for growth scans after I started to measure small for weeks . She needed to go into scbu but is a now a very healthy and active little girl . Even if your baby is born early due to growth problems a 34+ weeker will recover well. Sorry I couldnt tell you it's probably nothing to worry about but it's best to be aware of the possibilities. I was in complete shock after my growth scan as I literally never went home after it , they delivered DD the following day.

hazelnutlatte Tue 23-Aug-11 01:12:49

Have just found this thread again, had lost it and thought no one had replied!
I had a growth scan and the baby is an average size which is good news, but the level of amniotic fluid is low. Am booked in for another scan on Wednesday to see of there have been any changes.
I'm not really sure what this all means really, in terms of how it might affect the baby and what intervention (if any) might be needed. I'll be seeing the midwife on Friday so am planning on asking her then.

uppityduppity Tue 23-Aug-11 02:32:38

I was small for dates and had low amniotic fluid. I was medically induced two days after my due date and I had a good labour and birth and had a healthy 6lb2oz baby.

1sttimemomma Tue 23-Aug-11 17:48:29

Thanks for sharing all your stories, putting my mind at rest a little as I'm measuring a little small for 36 weeks (9th centile) and had to have steroid injections (just in case). Back in a week then two weeks for growth scans and consultant appointment. The baby is growing but has just slipped below their 'line'. Hope others have had good news re: their babies since xx

acatcalledfelix Wed 24-Aug-11 20:53:10

Just to let you know I had a scan today and all was fine, baby is average size. So, the fundal measurement (and looking at me and saying "ooh, you're small..) is not an exact science x

Valiant1 Wed 24-Aug-11 20:56:32

that's great hun i have a Doppler tomorrow xx fingers crossed

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now