Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Is anyone going to the gym while pregnant?

(15 Posts)
stclair Mon 15-Aug-11 14:32:29

Hello, I am still TTC and considering joining the local gym which has creche for 2yo DD. But, I am also wondering if I will lose the will to go when(!) I get pregnant and it would all have been a waste. Last pregnancy I only walked for exercise but this time would hope to do more as put on a lot of weight. Is anyone else managing to go to the gym and are you feeling all the better for it smile?

nickelbabe Mon 15-Aug-11 14:35:00

I don't go to the gym, but i swim every week (well, actually, that involves paddling around and doing movements whilst gossiping to my friend grin ), and i do bellydancing once a week.
I have done bellydancing for several years now, and I think you're in the right frame of mind to take it up while you're TTCing, because you're less likely to give it up, and less likely to have any problems.

scepticalexpat Mon 15-Aug-11 14:52:46

I'm doing prenatal yoga and aqua aerobics, but nothing else except walking. I thought I would go much more (used to go at least 3 times a week) but as soon as I had a bump I didn't feel comfortable doing the dance-based things I used to do. I've also been very tired and not up to going to the gym either for that reason or, early on, because I felt too sick.

MrsCLH Mon 15-Aug-11 14:53:04

I was a 4 times a week girl before I got pregnant but I really struggled in my first trimester. Morning sickness was too bad and I felt too shattered most of the time but managed to go at least once a week. I guess its hard to predict how you're going to feel. Felt better from about week 13/14 so went 2-3 times until I was about 25 weeks when my bump just seemed to get in the way and I felt a bit conspicuous. Now I'm just doing as much walking as I can (34 wks). Does your gym have a pool? You'd probably get more use out of that towards the end but I just feel too uncomfortable in a swimsuit in public! Exercise is so important while you're pregnant though but get into a routine now because you shouldn't start anything new once you're already pregnant. Good luck!!

nickelbabe Mon 15-Aug-11 15:20:36

4 times a week shockshock

I have to admit, when I was first pg, I only did the bellydancing, because it was sedate, and i walked to and from work every day anyway, so I wasn't missing out.

I think they say "gentle exercise", so if you listen to your body and don't overdo it, it should be okay.

dreamc1 Mon 15-Aug-11 15:26:27

Yes, been going 5 times a week, yoga, body conditioning, body balance, pilates a a light aerobics class. 6 weeks pregnant so far, doing ok, but tired. I did go the gym before becoming pregnant.

pod3030 Mon 15-Aug-11 15:26:43

i don't go to a gym but being a runner pre pregnancy i am still getting out for short runs at 26 weeks, i have an exercise bike which i use and i swim- all very moderately but enough for an endorphin boost. exercise is great for relaxation, and preparation for birth- the fitter you are the easier your body will cope.

WaspsAnkles Mon 15-Aug-11 15:54:47

I did still go a couple of times at the beginning, in between MS but then got too lazy and huge and quit my membership.

I'm not sure whether it's the same in the UK, but where I am in Germany you are legally allowed to quit your gym membership with a month notice while pregnant as it counts as special conditions. Maybe check with the gym you would like to join whether you can quit if you find, that you are not going once your pregnant!

hayesgirl Mon 15-Aug-11 16:03:20

I was a proper gym bunny before I got pregnant and didn't change my routine at all until I got to about 20 weeks then I slowed it down a bit and gradually it petered out until I stopped altogether at about 35 weeks. I've been going to pregnancy yoga since I was 15 weeks and I stay pretty active in general and go for walks in the park. Best advice I go from my midwife was just listen to your body. If you feel ok then do it, if your tired don't push yourself : )

OiMissus Mon 15-Aug-11 16:14:32

I was a 4 x per week gymmer at age 38. I got pregnant and continued with two bodypump classes and an AbAttack class. I dropped BodyCombat straightaway as all the bouncing about was too much for my very tender boobs! I have now dropped AbAttack (since week 22) on advice that too much abs work can be harmful as your stomach muscles split. I'm still bodypumping at 24 weeks and feel great (Just reduced weights and adapted postures as my bump as grown). I now go to an aquanatal class which is great for good advice. I'd like to start a yoga class to help prepare for the birth - and to help with strong posture as I know many pregnant ladies start to droop or get round shoulders/bad backs as the weight of the bump becomes greater. The fitter you are, the easier the pregnancy and the birth will be. But beware getting pregnant and then taking up exercises that your body isn't used to. Talk to your gym about what happens if you get pregnant, and what special classes or advice can they provide.

G1nger Mon 15-Aug-11 17:42:34

I went to the gym for the first five months. My energy was about half what I had pre-pregnancy. Then at 5 months I lost the energy that I needed. I've switched to swimming, which is really easy.

Ilovekittyelise Mon 15-Aug-11 18:20:35

I've always been more of a swimmer than a gym person and enjoyed long walks. sadly my pelvis has made even short walks an unenjoyable experience so i do very little walking around! I'm currently 36 weeks and swim laps 3 or 4 times a week, 50-60 per session, about half what i was doing just before pregnancy. sometimes i do more but mostly i cant be bothered and am resigned to being a giant over-eating whale for the next few weeks. at least im doing something blush

fraktious Mon 15-Aug-11 18:30:43

5 times a week pre-pregnancy, at least 3 times a week throughout, was there at 40+2, went into labour the evening of 40+3.

Towards the end I was only doing bodybalance but I just reduced/replaced depending on how I felt as I went along.

Conchita Mon 15-Aug-11 19:26:02

I was going 2-3 times per week pre pg, which dropped to almost nothing in the first trimester due to morning sickness and tiredness. Towards end of 1st trim I took up pilates balls, which I had done before but you must advise teacher (as with any class); my teacher makes sure I avoid all abs work as resistance to the muscles stretching is futile and probably counter-productive. I asked the gym for a new programme for pregnancy, it's extremely gentle and aimed at maintaining my fitness, rather than improving it. I probably would not have joined if I wasn't already a member as I don't think I get vfm from my membership, but exercising makes me feel good and helps me to feel that I am preparing for the demands on my body. I definitely think regular exercise is worth the effort if you feel well enough

Conchita Mon 15-Aug-11 19:26:33

*pilates ball shock

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now