Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

GTT Test?

(15 Posts)
Bumpsadaisie Mon 15-Aug-11 14:20:05

Last time round with DD I am sure I had the glucose tolerance test - the one where you down the glass of lucozade and then they take blood.

No-one's mentioned it this time round - am 31 weeks. When do they normally do it? Am sure it was earlier on than this with DD.

Many thanks!
Bumps

MatthewWrightOffTheTelly Mon 15-Aug-11 14:22:10

28 weeks here for the standard Lucozade challenge (Cambridge).

Bumpsadaisie Mon 15-Aug-11 14:23:27

I was in Cambridge last time with DD, MatthewWright, but now in South Lakes! Perhaps its too advanced a thing for up here in the sticks?

Cattleprod Mon 15-Aug-11 14:24:23

28 weeks for me too. Although we got some sort of pineapple drink followed by revolting yellow water, rather than lucozade!

Maybe you're not considered at risk of GD this time?

Bumpsadaisie Mon 15-Aug-11 14:25:36

Thanks Cattle. I thought they did it for everyone last time round, not just if you had risk factors? I will have to ask midwife at next appointment I guess.

nosexpleaseimpregnant Mon 15-Aug-11 14:26:31

26 weeks in devon.
You get lucozade? That's very nice of them, we get a vile glucose/water concoction that had me urging with every mouthful smile

Bumpsadaisie Mon 15-Aug-11 14:29:37

Nosexplease I think we had to supply the Lucozade ourselves, and quaff it 30 mins prior to the appointment or sth. I remember as DH bought a vast undrinkable 3 litre bottle which then cluttered up the house for weeks after - we only had to drink about 250ml!

Bumpsadaisie Mon 15-Aug-11 14:33:40

PS I agree with you on the nosexwhilepregnant issue. Poor DH. Last time we tried was back in May and we had to give up as I accidentally rolled off him and off the bed and onto the floor, a la rotund heffalump.

We were in Spain and it was a marble floor too. Ouch. That put paid to the mood somewhat as I was first crying with pain and then we were both too hysterical to do the deed.

sleepevader Mon 15-Aug-11 15:35:39

It all depends on risk factors.

From nice guidance www.nice.org.uk/nicemedia/pdf/CG063Guidance.pdf

Screening for gestational diabetes using risk factors is recommended in a healthy population. At the booking appointment, the following risk factors for gestational diabetes should be determined:

body mass index above 30 kg/m2

previous macrosomic baby weighing 4.5 kg or above

previous gestational diabetes

family history of diabetes (first-degree relative with diabetes)

family origin with a high prevalence of diabetes:
−
South Asian (specifically women whose country of family origin is India, Pakistan or Bangladesh)
−
black Caribbean
−
Middle Eastern (specifically women whose country of family origin is Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates, Iraq, Jordan, Syria, Oman, Qatar, Kuwait, Lebanon or Egypt).
Women with any one of these risk factors should be offered testing for gestational diabetes (see recommendation 1.2.2.4).

I supplied my own lucozade too.

MatthewWrightOffTheTelly Mon 15-Aug-11 19:52:53

Sleepevader (good name!)

That's the full GTT guidance. Some areas (such as mine/OP's old one) do a broad "lucozade challenge" one-off blood test and then those who "fail" that are referred for the full GTT 2 hour job.

I was one of those 2nd time around and was diagnosed with GD without any of the NICE risk factors. So I guess it is useful!

MatthewWrightOffTheTelly Mon 15-Aug-11 19:54:08

And also, major grin at heffalump/marble floor story grin grin

lindy100 Mon 15-Aug-11 22:03:49

i had one at 28 weeks with DD. This time around teh doctor told me not to be too bothered, so I didn't, not having any hint of a problem last time. Saw the mw at 29 weeks and she said I could but not to worry too much. Receptionsists were spectacularly unhelpful with booking blood tests so i didn't bother.

Then mw found sugar in my sample at 36 weeks and made me go to hosp for one, as I'm planing a hb. Hassle. So technically you could have one at any time - best to get it over with, imo.

ToriaPumpkinPasty Tue 16-Aug-11 13:06:35

I've had two, one at 16 weeks and one today at 29+5 as every urine sample I've given so far has shown glucose present. The last one came back normal, I fully expect this one to as well, I just don't think I process glucose very well!

lolajane2009 Tue 16-Aug-11 14:02:10

I had one at 28 weeks due to PCOS and my father having diabetes.

katherine2008 Tue 16-Aug-11 14:47:36

Here in Mid-Essex no sign of a glucose test.. not for DD1 and not for this pregnancy either.. Perhaps it's just bloods and/or wee?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now