Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

TTC - Asperger's Syndrome

(5 Posts)
LadyKB Mon 15-Aug-11 12:49:15

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

outthere Mon 15-Aug-11 20:48:57

Hiya, I'm afraid I don't really have any answers for you but didn't want your post to go unanswered.

Have you looked or asked on the Special Needs thread? There are lots of very knowledgeable people there who might be able to help.

Unfortunately I think your chances of carrying a child with ASD are increased but I don't know the specifics. Is it something you can talk to your gp about? Perhaps they could refer you to a genetic counsellor to discuss your situation.

Good luck with it all, I know how hard it must be: my son and nephew have ASD and it has been in my DH's side of the family in its most severe form. I'm now pg with a little boy and know I will watch his development like a hawk blush

Hope you get some answers soon.

tabulahrasa Mon 15-Aug-11 21:08:38

As far as I know, they don't know enough about the genetics to either give you a meaningful number as to what your odds would be nor is there any way of avoiding it.

DS has AS, he's 15 and while he's definitely a one of a kind, lol and he does struggle with a lot of things - the plan is that he's going to university, I don't think he'll quite be ready for halls at that point, socially more than anything.

But I honestly don't see anything to stop him living independently as an adult, just that it will be a couple of years later than his peers.

I don't think I've sacrificed anything more for him than I gave for DD (who is NT)

<shrugs>

I'd think the anxiety, depression and agatophobia are probably a big factor in how well your brother copes and there's no reason to think that if you had a child and if it had an asd that it would have those too.

I completely understand why it would be daunting, but autism isn't just one thing and it wouldn't neccessarily be the same for your child as it is for your brother. If it's there at all.

I know the odds of having a second child affected when you already have one are something like 30% if it's a boy and 10 if it's a girl - but I think that's just based on collected data rather than genetic investigation, but with it being your sibling rather than your child and then adding your DH into the mix I'd assume that lowers the chances anyway?

nenevomito Mon 15-Aug-11 21:18:04

Everyone is different and that goes for children with ASD too. Even if you did have a child with an autistic spectrum disorder, it doesn't follow that they will have the same problems as your brother.

You will also have the advantage of knowing what you are looking for, so if there are any signs you can pick up on them straight away and early intervention can really help.

My DS has recently been diagnosed and while yes of course I am sad that he won't have the life I thought he would do, it doesn't change who he is, how much I love him and the amazing person that he is. You will feel the same of any child of yours no matter what.

My advice is to stop worrying about things you can't change and also may never happen.

Maryz Mon 15-Aug-11 21:24:28

You cannot be sure whether or not any child you have with have any SN, whether it be Asperger's or something else.

I have a fair few relations who I'm sure have Asperger's (father, brother, three cousins at least) and many more who are pretty eccentric.

I have a son who also has Asperger's, but ironically he is adopted hmm. So he fits rather well into our family, but when he came to us he was thought to be a healthy, happy baby with no SN at all. But you know, if you do have a child with SN you will love him/her and you will cope. We all do.

Essentially, having a baby is a leap of faith. You cannot prevent problems by worrying about them, so don't let the worries you have ruin the enjoyment you should get from a pregnancy and a baby smile.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now