Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Bleeding

(13 Posts)
Beans1234 Mon 15-Aug-11 07:41:03

Hi, I'm around 7 weeks into pregnancy and had a little fresh red blood this morning. No cramps, symptoms are on and off (don't feel sick anymore but boobs growing and can't stop going for a wee)

I wouldn't be naturally due on my next period as I have very long cycles and surely this is too late for implantion bleeding?

Any insight would be great. Which blood is worse to have - old or new blood?

Cheers

barbie1 Mon 15-Aug-11 07:57:07

Hi beans,

This is my third pregnancy, I had one mmc at 12 weeks, a daughter that is 18 months old and currently 15 weeks into this pregnancy.
I bled on all three pregnancies. It's hard to know what is going on with yourself, only a doctor or an early scan can tell you. However bleeding doesn't always mean anything bad. This time around my placenta is very low and I will probably have bleeding throughout.

I bleed loads with my dd, starting at 7 weeks and continuing on and off until 27 weeks with no explanation given.

I wish you all the best, can you ask for an early scan?

Beans1234 Mon 15-Aug-11 08:02:37

Hi Barbie1, That leads on to another question. With the NHS you're first official scan (for free) is at 11 weeks. I was thinking of paying to arrange an early one anyway (before the bleeding started). I don't want to be melodramatic with it but would it be easier to pop to A&E then they can do a scan there or would they laugh me (politely) out of the building and tell me to see my GP first?

lolajane2009 Mon 15-Aug-11 08:09:11

You could also phone your midwife or go to your GP, I think, who could organise a scan at a EPAU (Early Pregnancy Assessment Unit) or in some areas you can self refer yourself. Sorry i cant be more use but I know some ladies have had early scans at this unit due to bleeding.

barbie1 Mon 15-Aug-11 08:21:39

Sorry I don't know too much about the nhs, I am in Dubai and am very lucky to have private health cover.
Although with my first I was in the uk, my doctor referred me for an early scan, had to wait about 7days though. I tried the a&e approach but they a
Only checked bloods etc. Epau is your best bet.

Beans1234 Mon 15-Aug-11 08:21:57

Hi Lolajane, I don't have a midwife yet. I've just googled and I think Queen Charlotte's does early scans so I'll call the doctors and get an appointment.

lolajane2009 Mon 15-Aug-11 08:56:19

If no help there find the local midwife unit at the hospital's number or go to your GP.

crazyhead Mon 15-Aug-11 09:55:54

I bled at the same stage (actually 6 weeks ish) and got sent to St Thomas's EPU. You can also call and self refer.

Some people are definitely just bleeders - I have had enough mini bleeds to mean I've now had 7 scans but I am 27 weeks preg now with a BRUISER of a baby growing well and no sinister reasons found so far.

Very best of luck. Bleeding is one of those symptoms that can either spell disaster or be absolutely clinically meaningless - I feel for you cos it is stressful till you know which.

Daykers Mon 15-Aug-11 11:33:54

If you google EPU london it will bring up a list of all the centres that do early scans. You can walk in without a doctor's letter and they will scan you. I had to go this weekend for exactly the same reason. We went to UCH and they were fantastic - we were seen at 9am on a Sunday morning. Best of luck. All was ok this time for me but with my two previous pregnancies we had miscarriages with the same symptoms. The best thing is to get checked out asap.

Beans1234 Mon 15-Aug-11 12:56:39

Thanks everyone. I've just been to Chelsea and Westminster, little heartbeat was booming away and its in the right place (i.e. not a tube!) Only thing is they dated me about 5 days less than I am (I know as it isn't physically possible for sperm to last as long as they're saying my conception date is! Granted I know its from last period but I have dodgy cycles so I'll let them off!

All good again, so far. Thanks for your comments..

RickGhastley Mon 15-Aug-11 13:40:24

Good news Beans, was just about to post and say that Queen Charlottes have an Early Preg Unit and will scan you if you are referred by your GP or midwife. I have spent many hours in their EPU- I am 15 weeks PG with DC2 and have had 4 bleeds so far, it's so stressful! They haven't found any explanation for it and I didn't bleed at all with DC1.

Hope you have a healthy and uneventful pregnancy!

xx

Beans1234 Mon 15-Aug-11 13:54:36

Thanks. Speaking of Queen Charlottes, my docs in Chiswick seem to be pushing me towards Chelsea and Westminster. I have my first scan and midwife appointment there. Do you know if you can elect to have your baby at Queen Charlottes after your first scans or am I stuck with C&W?

Cheers

RickGhastley Tue 16-Aug-11 18:29:04

You can register at whichever hospital you choose, either through your GP or directly with the hospital (details of how to do this are on QC website).

Only problem is that QC is popular and so gets booked up very quickly so suggest you register there ASAP if that's where you want to go.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now