Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Painful hands and feet

(5 Posts)
twinkletwinklepops Mon 15-Aug-11 07:18:45

Hi there,

My DD is 3 months and doing well, I on the other hand are still suffering with pain. My ligaments in my hands and feet still hurt three months on. I am guessing this is linked to my pregnancy because this is when the pains started in my feet. I started getting pains in my hands once DD was born.

The pain in feet is especially painful first thing in the morning and when I've had a sit down for sometime. The pains in my hands is constant. I went to see my GP but she wasn't helpful and was not familiar with this complaint.

Does anyone have any ideas what this could be? A vitamin deficiency maybe? I took a pregnancy vitamin pill throughout my pregnancy and am still taking it. I am BF my DD and topping up with formula. These pains make me feel like an old lady and get me down.

Has anyone experienced similar pains? Are there any nutritionists out there, maybe I am deficient in a vitamin/mineral??

Hope to hear soon.

Katiebeau Mon 15-Aug-11 08:45:20

Hello Twinket. I had this for several months post pregnancy having had similar issues whilst pregnant. My relief only came about a year in when I found a great physio who slowly unknotted my whole neck (was causing the shoulder and hand pain), upper back, lower back and feet. It was like walking on broken glass first thing.

My GP said sometimes post-natal pain like this was considered like having RA but without the inflamation is now covered under the banner "fibromyalgia" which to some Drs means "in their head" as there is no specific cause. One GP thought as it was "fibtomyalgia" and this is linked to depression too I must have PND.

Lucky for me I was able to "prove" I wasn't at all depressed (although the constant pain made me P'eed off!!).

Diet wise I just made sure I ate properly and took my postnatal vitamins. To be sure you would need a proper blood screen to look for serious deficiencies.

Katiebeau Mon 15-Aug-11 08:46:28

Oh and good luck, I hope you get on top of it soon, it is horrid. Perhaps other posters have had tests etc and pinpointed the issue.

LoveBeingAtHomeOnMyOwn Mon 15-Aug-11 08:54:26

I had carpal tunnel in my hands and feet and it did last quite a while afterwards could it be that?

twinkletwinklepops Sun 21-Aug-11 14:37:59

Thank you both. I have a physio so will call her and see what she can do.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now