Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Could Bio-Oil be dangerous?

(10 Posts)
Conchita Sun 14-Aug-11 21:59:39

Hi have been using bio-oil to prevent stretchmarks but noticed on the ingredients that it includes lavender, rosemary and chamomile oil and vit a, all of which are supposedly harmful in pregnancy, and which I am rubbing straight onto my bump. I have been looking online for information but finding a lot of contradictory views or 'my mate used it and her baby was fine.'
Does anyone know if it is safe to use or how I would find out? Would it go through the skin and if not why are you advised to avoid these oils? Also, lots of my bath products/body lotions seem to contain essential oils? Are these safe to use? I am guessing the quantities involved are small but all the information I can find is incredibly vague. Sorry for all the questions, I need help from some scientific minds!

BikeRunSki Sun 14-Aug-11 22:05:48

I used it throughout my first pg, and am using it again now in second pg. They actively advertise it to pg women, and have been for years. The concentrations of the ingredients you are concerned about are probably not high enough to do any harm.

Read this page from the Bio-oil website, it says formulation has been tested safe for use by pg women.

apple99 Sun 14-Aug-11 22:08:40

Same as above poster, I used throughout my first pg and am using again this time. I am pretty sure they would not be able to advertise it to pg women if there was even the smallest risk.

milkyways Sun 14-Aug-11 22:09:18

I think the only place you will get a proper answer is the Bio-Oil website:

here

It says that it should be used from the start of the second trimester on prone areas.
I am sure the amounts of Vit A and other oils is very very minute, so nothing to worry about.
Essential oils are only dangerous when taken in concentrate form, but in lotions they use such a small amount that it can't do any harm, and if it did, then they wouldn't be allowed to sell it without a warning on the bottle.

Sorry to give another anecdote, but I did use Bio-Oil during my first pregnancy on my face and body and everything was fine.

mercibucket Sun 14-Aug-11 22:17:58

It doesn't prevent stretch marks, just helps them fade if you do get them, so you could always save your money for later if you are worried

mercibucket Sun 14-Aug-11 22:17:58

It doesn't prevent stretch marks, just helps them fade if you do get them, so you could always save your money for later if you are worried

Crosshair Sun 14-Aug-11 22:20:51

Unless you're drinking it, you have no need to worry. As said above its been tested and is deemed safe for pregnant women.

Conchita Sun 14-Aug-11 22:27:46

thanks for the links and pointers everyone! I had looked on their website but somehow I'd missed the bit that you linked BikeRunSki so pasting for anyone else concerned:
'Bio‑Oil has undergone safety assessments in accordance with the Regulation of the European Parliament and of the Council on Cosmetic Products. The toxicological profile, chemical structure, level of inclusion and total level of daily exposure of each ingredient used has been assessed and deemed safe for use (including for use by pregnant women).'
I'm interpreting this as the ingredients are not harmful in the quantities present if used according to instructions? (so I won't drink it!)
For me the thing I find difficult with pregnancy do's and don'ts is that the advice comes from so many sources and there never seems to be a consensus, then you get pregnancy websites that just seem to tell you to avoid everything 'just in case'

Crosshair Sun 14-Aug-11 23:14:20

grin

lolajane2009 Mon 15-Aug-11 01:17:19

not unless alergic or as crosshair said and stole what I was gonna say.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now