Talk

Advanced search

Baby Blankets?

(11 Posts)
LDNmummy Sun 14-Aug-11 21:04:08

How many are needed on average and what types are the best?

I know Muslin is apparently very good, but what about cellular, fleece, Receiving (I don't even know what these are BTW), plain cotton and all the other types?

Should I be getting at least two of each or just any variation?

And is it better if they are bigger blankets for swaddling and laying in the crib/ stroller?

Random question I know, but quite confused actually confused!

My baby is an October one so I want to get enough and the right type to keep her warm.

TIA!

wompoopigeon Sun 14-Aug-11 21:33:40

Ok you need different blankets for different things.
For sleeping you might want a couple of gro bags and for swaddling a blanket designed for swaddling (gro group do a nice cotton one). Or a sheet and a cellular blanket but baby is likely to wriggle free which is why lots of people like baby sleeping bags.
Then for outside your pram may come with a blanket but if not try a fleece one.
Then a couple of cellular blankets are always useful, for example for carrying the baby to the car or if the house is cold while they are in their bouncy chair.
Muslins are more for wiping than for covering. Buy a big packet!

IssyStark Sun 14-Aug-11 21:46:43

As far as I can tell a receiving blanket is the US term for a baby shawl. I found the baby shawl my mum knitted invaluable. I used it for swaddling, carrying the garklet in and out of the car, tucking around him when he was in his car seat or pram, an extra layer over his grobag on cold winter nights and so on. A couple of good celluar blankets would do the same job.

LDNmummy Sun 14-Aug-11 21:47:08

Thanks pigeon!

Bloomin heck this stuff is complicated grin

baldbyfifty Sun 14-Aug-11 22:25:54

Don't bother buying pram/moses basket size blankets they are tiny and will quickly become useless, the fleecy type ones aren't worth bothering with stick to cellular blankets or ones made of natural materials they are great for allowing air to circulate and baby won't get too hot. Knitted wollen blankets are lush, stay nice and soft and dry quickly!!! I'd say you will need about four cot size blankets and maybe a small ish one for the car seat.

Muslins??? At least 12!!! expensive to buy but worth there weight in gold.

Primafacie Sun 14-Aug-11 22:33:27

I would really recommend a swaddling blanket with velcro fastening, eg Summer Infant, which you can get on Amazon. My son sleeps much longer in these as he has a strong startling reflex which wakes him up otherwise.

Beesok Sun 14-Aug-11 22:48:11

Am having the same dilemmas and have so far bought:
3 100% cotton blankets - one with holes (like a cellular one)
1 thick lambswool one (this one I think is a bit small and intend to use it in pram mainly but I got it dirt cheap and it's super cosy so kept it)
1 larger 100% merino which I want to use at home or when travelling etc as merino is suitable for all types of weather and it is large enough to comfortably wrap baby up
I have a pack of extra large muslins and a cotton flannel swaddling blanket
I also have a down cocoon for the pram in winter

Am planning to see how I get on with the above and buy more if I need them.

Firawla Sun 14-Aug-11 22:52:48

i find pram/moses basket size blankets more useful than the bigger ones! but i suppose that is if you would move on to use sleeping bags in their cot, which i do so hardly really need the full cot size blankets. i think getting atleast 2 of every type of blanket may be quite a lot and maybe too much but depends how often you will be doing washing cos obviously the more you have the less you need to worry but still about 4-6 i think is plenty and about the right amount?
cellular blankets are good, also i have some in a really soft material (i think its called minky?) which i found really nice, and for ds3 ive got a lovely blanket from 37 degrees which is supposed to temperature regulate. its quite expensive but im really happy with it, very soft and lovely. not sure if the temperature thing works but i think so?

LDNmummy Mon 15-Aug-11 01:03:07

Well I went on Ebay and purchased 4 cellular cotton blankets, 1 fleece and 4 flat cotton sheets.

Unfortunately I checked back after buying so didn't see your post baldbyfifty, but I think it will be ok if I chuck in a couple of much larger cotton blankets as only a few of the ones I have already bought are large sizes. That should even it out.

Off to buy some muslins now!

lolajane2009 Mon 15-Aug-11 01:19:32

you can get 12 muslins for a tenner from some of the online baby shops like thenappylady and fill your pants btw.

AnneLuck Mon 09-Feb-15 09:23:04

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: