Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

i am starting to panic that i should have seen a midwife to book in. Does this sound right to you?

(11 Posts)
Poweredbypepsi Sun 14-Aug-11 20:56:02

I saw a doctor at 5 weeks who sent me for an early scan to check dates. He gave me a choose and book appointment number for my scan at 12 weeks, which i booked and is next week. The doctors seemed a bit confused about the whole things (even though im sure they MUST do this all the time!) and gave me the wrong number etc to start with.

But other than that i have had no contact with a midwife, the hospital posted me a little booklet about having a baby and i had a question sheet abotu my ethnic origin etc but no notes or anything.

Does this sound right? I was in hospital a week or two ago because i was sick and no one really queried it but i know with my other pregnancies (totally different area though) I had had a booking in appointment before now.

I was thinking of calling the scan number tomorrow as this is the only number I have and the doctors surgery is useless. What do you think? should i call or just turn up on wednesday for the scan i have booked?

YouDoTheMath Sun 14-Aug-11 21:05:31

IME the doctor gives you the midwife's number, you call her and she pops to see you the first time, usually before 12 week scan. You then see them again at 16 weeks.

This was the same for both my pregnancies.

YouDoTheMath Sun 14-Aug-11 21:07:30

Don't panic too much though. They only run through formalities at the booking appointment.

How did the early scan go?

Poweredbypepsi Sun 14-Aug-11 21:08:52

thanks they early scan was fine, i had it because of previous miscarraiges but it showed me at 5 weeks 6 days and a baby/blob with heartbeat smile

Ivortheengine8 Sun 14-Aug-11 21:09:16

I didn't actually see midwife until 12 weeks I think around the time of the first scan. They wouldnt let me see the midwife at my surgery until I had had my booking in appointment at the hospital.

YouDoTheMath Sun 14-Aug-11 21:16:26

Cool. Really don't worry. Try to get details of community midwife and ring her. But the next Big Day is 12 week scan.

Good luck!

lolajane2009 Mon 15-Aug-11 01:23:46

You might book in with the hospital midwife tbh. I know my area does both and although I had an appointment with the surgery one first I still had to go through it all again at the hospital too.

Ivortheengine8 Mon 15-Aug-11 07:24:39

Powered, it may be that you are being consultant led at the hospital and they want you to book in there first. Do you know if you are being midiwfe led or consultant led?
You should be able to find the hospital number on the internet and see if your Dr has referred you.

Wormshuffler Mon 15-Aug-11 07:34:24

With my first PG's I booked in after the 12 week scan with a hopital midwife, this time it was with a hospital midwife at 9 weeks. I havn't had any contact with my GP practice at all other than to give me the midwife's number.

nannyl Mon 15-Aug-11 08:56:55

I saw my midwife at 9 weeks....

Im sure she said there were blood tests that needed to be done before 10 weeks (and others after 8 weeks) hence she does her home visit booking appt at 9 weeks.

I have to say the experience i have with my wonderful midwife is far better than most of the other pregnant people i know have had with theirs...

I have seen (the same) midwife at 5, 9, & 13 weeks, then every 3 weeks since then, until 34 weeks, and im now seeing her 2 weekly (am 36 weeks now)

Poweredbypepsi Mon 15-Aug-11 09:36:15

Ivortheengine8 I think i will be consultant led as i have high blood pressure and preeclampsia in my previous 4 pregnancies - perhaps this is the reason then?
anyway thanks for your replies i will see what they say on wednesday!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now