Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Mucous plug? What does it look like? Tmi

(8 Posts)
KateBC Sun 14-Aug-11 19:17:14

35wks with my second baby, and a bit unsure as to what a mucous plug looks like. With DS1 my waters broke quite spectacularly so it was completely washed away!

Just been to the bathroom and there was a clear snot like substance when I wiped (sorry!) but not sure how much there should be, or if this was just increased discharge? DS1 was a couple of weeks early and have been told to expect this one a bit early too, but was hopig at least to make it to 37 weeks!

Cattleprod Sun 14-Aug-11 19:20:15

As I remember, it's a bit like that jelly that you get in pork pies or jellied eels, but sometimes has a bit of blood in it.

CBear6 Sun 14-Aug-11 19:52:44

Excuse me in advance for any ick feelings I may cause ...

Mine was like orangey-pink snot. It came away in little bits over the course of a day, a small amount at first and gradually more and more until a big blob came out. I went into labour the next day but as I understand it the plug can come away days or even weeks before labour starts, especially in second or more pregnancies, and it can replenish itself too so it doesn't necessarily mean labour is around the corner.

KateBC Sun 14-Aug-11 20:07:52

It's completely clear at the moment, so not sure if it is the plug or not... Didn't really have much build up for my first labour, so feel a bit like a first timer!

Makeminealarge Sun 14-Aug-11 20:09:59

To me it was a mucous/snot like jelly blob. Doesnt look pretty basically! It came away every time i ran to the loo during labour. I was quite surprised by the amount that came away. I was expecting something smaller!! But you cant miss it when you see it. Sounds to me if it was clear it was probably discharge, i had this also in my pregnancy in the last few weeks.

mousymouse Sun 14-Aug-11 20:10:10

mine was like custard with raspberry coulis...

Imnotaslimjim Sun 14-Aug-11 20:13:08

There is a heck of a lot of it, but apparently the proof you need that anything is happening is that its blood-tinged. The blood is from the blood-vessels breaking as the cervix stretches (or so a MW told me when I was in labour)

You can lose bits of your plug in the weeks running up to the main event, but it doesn't mean anything

KateBC Sun 14-Aug-11 22:01:41

Ok, just discharge then

And now I can never eat custard again!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now