Talk

Advanced search

High blood pressure before pregnancy

(6 Posts)
paleandinteresting Sun 14-Aug-11 19:01:15

Hello, was just wondering if anyone here who is pregnant had high blood pressure before pregnancy? I'm about to come off the pill and my husband and I are going to start TTC in a few months (would like my periods to be fairly regular before TTC). I'm 29 with a BMI in the normal range and am relatively healthy, but have high blood pressure. Had it investigated, but the doctors can't seem to find an underlying cause (also doesn't run in my family). Blood pressure usually ranges from 135/90ish to 160/100ish. Not on any medication for it at the moment (did take bendroflumethiazide for a short while, but when I was having tests done they didn't want me on any medication and never went back on it). I would love to hear if anyone has been in the same boat and your experience with high blood pressure and pregnancy as I'm worrying that there will be lots of complications with the pregnancy and/or birth. Thank you!

candr Sun 14-Aug-11 20:30:22

My friend had this and for the most part was fine, they kept her in for 4 days at about 30 weeks even though she said that she felt fine so she was not stressed about it and when she went for check up at 38 weeks they said it was high and gave her an hour to go home and get packed to go to hospitle, they induced her later that day and mum and baby were fine. She said it felt more like they were being careful than an actual problem but did make sure she didn't get over tired or stressed while pregnant (despite commuting into London for work daily). Good luck with TTC smile

paleandinteresting Sun 14-Aug-11 20:57:18

Thank you, I really appreciate your reply. That does make me feel a lot better!

ciwi Sun 14-Aug-11 21:03:19

Hi, I don't have blood pressure problems normally (it runs slightly high when I am anxious but nothing major) however, I did get severe early onset pre eclampsia in my 1st pregnancy and did end up on meds (now off them again). I don't mean to worry you but I think you should see at least your GP and even an obstetrician before ttc so that you can get your bp under control (if needed) and make sure if you need meds that they are ones they prefer to use in pregnancy. You are most probably fine but it doesnt hurt to make sure that you are in the best condition physically to conceive and carry a baby, good luck x

wheelshavefallenoffthebus Sun 14-Aug-11 21:36:07

I have high bp normally due to kidney damage through taking herbal medicine. When not pregnant I take tablets to lower my bp. Normal for me us approx 130/90. I have had one baby and second due in 2 months time. I have to change my meds prior to conceiving and have consultant care throughout my pregnancies. I was induced with ds1 at 39 weeks as my bp started rising and they didn't want me to go overdue because of the extra work the kidneys have to do in pregnancy. I was told I was at higher risk of pre-eclampsia but I think that was because of kidney function rather than high bp on it's own?
The only other thing for me was that I decided to stop BFing at 4 months so i could get back onto my old tablets.
Hope all goes well for you.

wheelshavefallenoffthebus Sun 14-Aug-11 21:49:12

Forgot to say I also have extra scans to check baby's growth because of the medication take and also take a low dose aspirin as this may prevent pre-eclampsia.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now