Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

What do you think are the best....

(20 Posts)
glitternanny Sun 14-Aug-11 11:13:15

maternity pads?
breast pads?
nappies?

Just wondered if there is a concensus out there of products you'd recommend to a first timer?

Davinaaddict Sun 14-Aug-11 13:31:52

Hi

I found most maternity pads much of a muchness really - they are all huge and not very comfortable. But others may have found some wonderful brand they can recommend to both of us grin

Breast pads - personal favourites are Boots own slim line ones. Didn't stick and were not bulky at all, so very discreet under clothing.

Nappies - we preferred Huggies Newborn range. They used to a box in the first couple of sizes that had 2 packs of nappies, some wipes & 2 packs of Kleenex (a bit random if you ask me!) all for £5 - bargain! Of course it depends on whether you are going down the disposable vs reusable route.

HTH! smile

sevensevenseven Sun 14-Aug-11 13:34:51

I like pampers nappies best, and if you join their baby club they send you a booklet full of coupons.

ALovelyBunchOfCoconuts Sun 14-Aug-11 14:03:23

Personally I hate Pampers. The have added the new drymax 'technology' to their nappies which deems them utterly useless. We will be using huggies this time round.

Breastpads - first time i used tescos own they did the job fine. This time I have yet to buy any so will prob end up at boots.

Maternity pads - I have just got superdrugs own brand. I'll find out if theyre any good soon hopefully

HTH smile

scarlettsmummy2 Sun 14-Aug-11 14:06:44

I use pampers, I have tried several brands and they are the only ones that don't seem to bring on nappy rash.

Sugarkane Sun 14-Aug-11 16:24:43

Maternity pads I used boots but as mentioned above their all very big and uncomfortable.

Boots slims also have a vote from me.

Pampers only for me I cant stand how huggies go hard and then just leak everywhere.

Cattleprod Sun 14-Aug-11 18:40:23

I didn't like Pampers or Huggies as much as the supermarket own brands - Tesco and Sainsburys in particular were good.

Ktay Sun 14-Aug-11 18:46:27

I didn't particularly get on with Tesco's own-brand breastpads, found them a bit scratchy. Johnson and Johnson's or Tommee Tippee were good.

spanky2 Sun 14-Aug-11 18:57:28

I used Always Ultra Silk Nightime/purple. Don't get the ordinary Always Ultra as I found the ends of my stitches got stuck in the small holes in the lining. OUCH! The maternity pads were too rustley sounding when walking, although more protective of stitches and bruising.
I didn't breast feed.
We used Pampers with ds2 and Huggies with ds1. Huggies have a thick elasticated back which is better if your baby has squirty poo.

PrincessScrumpy Sun 14-Aug-11 20:07:55

I used Boots pads which were fine - all very similar imo.

For dd1 we tried different nappies but always went back to Pampers as the others gave us lots of wee leaks. This time I considered trying Huggies 3 years on but Pampers were cheaper anyway. It depends on you baby's shape - dd1 had very skinny legs and Tesco nappies made her look very uncomfortably. Friends with boys (ime) have liked huggies and those with girls go for pampers.

Scaredycat3000 Sun 14-Aug-11 20:27:43

I will probably get 3 different kinds of breast pad this time round, washable for night time and round the house, any general disposable breast pad for when I run out of washables or under thick tops, and here's my real tip Lansinoh disposable for when I don't want anybody to see two big circles on my boobs! They are more expensive and use gel rather than cotton wool type stuff, they never leaked and were invisible, for me.
Maternity pads allow your bits to breathe more than sanny towels, probably best to stick to those for the first week or so, no pref there from me.
Nappies, it will depend on the build of your newborn, we use huggies, but I Lidl nappies have won loads of awards and I would happily swap if DP didn't have a thing about brand names! For washable nappies I use Motherease 2 piece birth to potty system, very happy with those.

AKMD Sun 14-Aug-11 20:29:39

Maternity pads - I had a 6-week after-bleed hmm so tried the lot and found Asda own brand to be the best for not sticking to stitches. When things had slowed down a bit the Babies R Us slimline ones with wings were great. Next time round I will probably go with Tena Lady pants to stop my underwear getting ruined, especially at night!

Breat pads - Johnson & Johnson ones are good. Tommee Tippee ones come in individually wrapped pairs so are great for taking out and about. I also got some Lanowool reusable breastpads when I got sore and they helped a lot.

Nappies - I used Pampers and didn't try anythign else. We had lots of poo explosions so next time round I would probably try Huggies and Tesco's own (highly recommended by lots of people) too. TBH I think the 'best' nappy depends on the shape of your baby and it's worth trying a few to find the best fit. The only thing I wouldn't bother with are the Pampers Simply Dry - we had a pack and they are really plasticky.

Zwitterion Sun 14-Aug-11 20:33:20

Maternity pads- Boots.

Breast pads - for me Johnson and Johnson were by far the best. Packaging minimal too and no fiddling around with individual packets.

Nappies - Sainsbury's own. Brilliant. Asda good too. Tesco's really poor for us.

2littlegreenmonkeys Sun 14-Aug-11 20:35:50

Maternity pads, I used tesco's own thick night time pads.

Breast pads, I used Lansinoh ones as they were the only ones that really caught all my leakage blush and stayed put, never used the sticky thing though, as my norks are on the rather large side.My nipples kinda didn't stay where I wanted them to blush (wandering nipples grin )

Nappies, Little lamb reusables in the day and in the night and occasionally days Lidl or Aldis own. They are fantastic.

superjobee Sun 14-Aug-11 20:36:40

maternity pads - bodyform sanitary towels!

breast pads - tescos

nappies - tescos range, ive used them for DD plus got the majority of family and friends using them over the yrs including their pull up pants.

also their wipes are brilliant as long as you get fragrance free but i do that with any brand.

Flossbert Sun 14-Aug-11 20:39:52

A friend gave me some tena lady pants and they were the absolute business for the first couple of days and I recommend them to all first timers! Agree with the pampers/ huggies girl/ boy divide.

Changing2011 Sun 14-Aug-11 20:39:58

Tescos own nappies.., seriously, I hate tesco but they are great nappies. Not too expensive, pull ups in the bigger sizes, not too bulky and nice and soft on the outside. Never had one leak with dd.

I really liked kotex maternity pads, yes they look like surfboards but I felt secure and lets face it you feel like your arse is hanging between your knees anyway!

Breast pads... I just picked up whatever was in the supermarket, I didn't leak much to be honest, my nips are quite water tight! The worst time was when feeding off one boob, the other one would start, but I was usually at home then, I never had a leakage incident when out and about!

Whatevertheweather Sun 14-Aug-11 20:54:00

Maternity pads - much of a muchness tried boots, mothercare and sainsburys own. Had a lot of after bleeding though so I did use an always slimline pantyliner underneath the pad - it seemed to stay in place better.

Breast pads - tommee tippee - they were fine. Found the johnsons ones got 'stuck' to my nipples if they'd leaked and made me paranoid DD was sucking on fibres from the pad.

Nappies - Huggies all the way. Hated pampers found the material seemed really cheap and they leaked a lot.

Babywipes - I think simple wipes are great for sensitive skin - totally fragrance free and ive always used them to take my eye make up off (cheaper than cosmetic wipes!). I had samples of pampers and Huggies wipes and both made my eyes sting so never used them on DD. They are not as widely available though but sainsburys and wilkinsons both sell them

Expecting dc2 in 6 weeks and shall be sticking with the above products smile

MummyAbroad Sun 14-Aug-11 20:54:41

breast pads - I got very sore trying to feed DS and have since read that disposable breastpads may not have helped (I used Johnson and Johnson) so this time I am investing in some silk/bamboo ones like these and these. I havent road tested them yet though (due in Nov) so I dont know if they will be any good, but the idea is that they are less drying.

sanitary towels - I tried every brand, honestly didnt notice the difference, for me in was a case of quantity being more important than quality!

nappies - tried every brand too - they all leaked while in newborn stage so ended up sticking to supermarket own brands, then switched back to huggies/pampers when older and was being changed less often, as they seemed to guard against nappy rash better.

silverangel Mon 15-Aug-11 07:32:22

Mothercare slimline maternity towels with wings - the least mattress like I found, have switched to Always 10 days post delivery.

Johnsons breast pads and so far pampers but babies are only 14 days so that could well change!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now