Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Pre-eclampsia. Anyone else here had it before?

(5 Posts)
2boysnamedR Sat 13-Aug-11 23:22:08

Hi, I am 10 wks with my third pg. I had PE with my first child and had to be induced about 37 weeks. 2nd pg was fine and I went overdue. At my booking app this week my BP was 96/140. My parents both have historys of DVTs so my midwife said with my bp, history of PE and DVTs I need to see a consultant as I my turn high risk.

So does anyone know any good support sites where I can get some advice before I see a consultant which might be weeks. I thought I read some nice guildlines that say I should be taking asprin by now as after 16 weeks it will make no difference. But my midwife and doctor say not to. I don't know what to do. If I get PE this time then thats just a fact of life, but obviously if I can prevent it then I want too. Not sure there are a lot of people working in health care who really know a lot about PE. It wasn't a great experience to say the least. Thanks x

thejaffacakesareonme Sun 14-Aug-11 07:50:29

I had PE with my first and was determined to find out everything I could about it when I was pregnant for the second time. The best websites I found were pefriendhood.net and apec.

You may also want to have a look at the NICE guidelines before seeing your consultant. I did and found they were very helpful. I asked for extra scans and extra appointments to have my bp/urine checked as my son had a low birth weight and was premature due to PE and the consultant gave me everything I asked for.

Don't have any advice re aspirin I'm afraid. I was under consultant led care second time around but aspirin wasn't prescribed. I had bleeding in early pregnancy which may have been a contra-indicator for aspirin though.

MrsJohnDeere Sun 14-Aug-11 07:56:08

I had it in both pregnancies, and didn't find any websites very helpful. MN was far more useful. Didn't take aspirin. I had daily visits from the community mw to check blood pressure and lots of day visits to the hospital when it got too high.
Induced at 38 weeks with dc1, and at 41+4 with dc2 (had worse symptoms and from 20 weeks but kept bp just below dangerous limits).

2boysnamedR Sun 14-Aug-11 10:34:54

Thanks. I have been on apec before just after I had ds1. Reading up before I see the consultant so I know what nice recomend sounds like a good idea. My care with ds1 was good but at the same time once I was discharged from hospital I was supposed to be seen every day at home by a midwife. They only turned up every other day so I had to go down the doctors to complain. When one did turn up she told me I was about to have a miscarrage so I don't want to get to that stage and be at home without getting checked every day.

sevensevenseven Sun 14-Aug-11 13:42:20

I had PE in my first pregnancy. I'm 21 weeks with my second and have been taking aspirin from 18 weeks (when I saw my consultant), so it must make a difference after 16 weeks, my consultant seems excellent so I'd hope she knows what she's talking about. My son was also small and premature due to PE so I'm having growth scans at 28 and 36 weeks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now