Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Do you need antibody results before anti-D jab?

(13 Posts)
PenguinArmy Sat 13-Aug-11 21:50:46

I'm booked to have anti-D jab at 31+6 on Friday.

Due to various problems last two attempts at the 28 week ish bloods have failed to yield results but I keep being told I'll have the jab after the results come through.

Latest letter said new bloods would be taken at my next ante-natal appointment which is the injection time. It is my understanding that the anti-D is supposed to be given before 32 weeks.

Do I ring up the MWs to check. I am currently dealing with hospital MWs as I have moved into an area temporarily (just arrived back in the UK and at parents while we find somewhere to live) so don't want to contact them unnecessarily as small hospital and figure they'll be busy with other stuff.

Hope this makes sense

Baby2b Sun 14-Aug-11 05:06:41

I would give them a phone. I had to wait 6 hours after having a fall while they waited on bloods being checked, so I don't think they give the injection regardless.

PenguinArmy Sun 14-Aug-11 09:09:50

you are right, I had exactly the same with pg 1. I just don't know what they are waiting for and I'm sure they won't have a go at me for asking.

<admits I just hate phones>

SheCutOffTheirTails Sun 14-Aug-11 09:15:04

I thought they gave anti-d as a prophylactic now?

They tried to get me to have the jabs without even bothering to establish that DH was rhesus positive (and then insinuated that it wad pointless to test as he might not be the father hmm )

I had anti-d in both pregnancies (more jabs first time than second due to cuts) but antibodies never came into it.

PenguinArmy Sun 14-Aug-11 09:24:04

first time around I didn't know I was being tested just part of the regular bloodwork that they take, apart from the AnE incident.

I assume that you would have it anyway so trying to work out what would be different if the results came back abnormal confused

ALotToTakeIn Sun 14-Aug-11 10:24:07

shecutofftheirtails I think we must have had the same MW!! I nearly chocked when mine said the same thing in front of me and DH. Didn't have the injection in the end as we found out DH is Rh- too.

crazyhead Sun 14-Aug-11 10:32:42

I'm A neg, and I just had a 'sensitising incident' at 27 weeks (was briefly hospitalised with bleeding, lovely experience!) and they did take my bloods (which were negative for the antibodies) but they'd actually given me my anti-D before the results even came back.

I believe they gave me the large prophylactic dose they'd normally have given a week later at 28 weeks, and which is then meant to last till 34.

They might generally want to know whether the antibodies are in your blood, but my understanding was that you'd get the anti-D either way to protect you against silent bleeds that might happen in the coming weeks?

I don't fully understand what they are doing in your case! (my bloods were processed within a few hours) but I understand that the anti-D policy varies from trust to trust.

PenguinArmy Tue 16-Aug-11 10:49:52

I'm A neg as well

Well I'm going back in today, because apparently they can't order the anti-D until the results come in, I already knew it has to be ordered. I shall be asking more questions about the test results themselves.

Diege Tue 16-Aug-11 11:05:59

That's interesting penguin. I'm also A neg and am having my bloods taken today to check for antibodies. I'm also booked in to the have the anti-d at the hospital tomorrow morning, so I'm assuming they give regardless here of blood results? confused. Mw did say they'd have the results back by tomorrow, but as my appointment today isn't till late afternoon and hosp one 9.30am, I'm sceptical !

PenguinArmy Tue 16-Aug-11 12:44:57

OK, I asked. They don't release the anti-D until they decide the dose which may be different if anti-bodies are present. Although if your somewhere where they give the massive dose at 28 weeks I don't see it making that much of a difference, but I guess they'll keep a closer eye on things.

If the labs are done in the hospital it is possible as I went to AnE on a holiday (New years day) with blood drawn around 8pm, they called me back at 9am to tell me I would have to go in and have the injection as the results showed antibodies.

Diege Tue 16-Aug-11 13:05:37

Thanks penguin! It is the masive dose at 28 weeks here, then nothing else if necessary until after birth and baby's blood tested. Will have to take my 3 dds with me to hosp' tomorrow...had to do the same last time, with dd1 announcing 'mummy, that needle is well big' at the crucial moment (I had my eyes shut!) hmm

PenguinArmy Tue 16-Aug-11 13:06:41

grin

handbagCrab Tue 16-Aug-11 14:00:20

I've had it twice here, just given to me without testing after a procedure and then as a matter of course. I was told that anti-d changes blood test results so I had some bloods taken first. It's not a terrible injection, just a jab in an arm muscle. It is a blood product and there are some very small risks attached to it. If you're concerned and you want it just in case ring up the midwife team and ask them if you can come in for a jab. It takes a couple of mins & they should be able to do it in the day unit if your hospital has one.

Don't worry about ringing the midwives, I rang yesterday to see if my baby was kicking too much!

Good luck in whatever you decide smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now