Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Who should I ring? 33 weeks pregnant, maybe a bit tmi sorry

(22 Posts)
babloogirl Sat 13-Aug-11 21:35:13

sorry if it is too much information...

I am 33+1, and it is now the 2nd day that I am having what I would call heavy discharge, it is quite watery (enough to wet my knickers) and a bit gooey but not too much.

I also have been having quite a bad back and hips.

Now all the way through my pregnancy I have been lucky enough not to need calling a midwife for advice, so now I don't know what to do.

On my notes I have the ante natal clinic number at the hospital but there is no answer when I tried to ring, Who do I ring then? Delivery suite? I feel bad about maybe ringing when it is nothing to worry about, but I don't want to feel sorry if it is something to be worried about.

So my question is, what would you do? ring the delivery suite or wait until tomorrow morning?

mamalovesmojitos Sat 13-Aug-11 21:38:42

I would ring delivery suite to put your mind at rest. They will listen and advise you. You will not be showing up on their doorstep and getting in their way, it's just a phone call smile. I'm sure it's just your body beginning preparations but no harm in asking. Good luck with everything.

MonsterBookOfTysons Sat 13-Aug-11 21:39:45

Ring the labour ward, they may just say its normal but at least you will be able to sleep tonight smile

doozle Sat 13-Aug-11 21:39:48

No you need to call now and probably go in, I suspect. Yes call the delivery suite or whatever number you have and they'll get you through to the right person.

Do you think your waters might have gone?

This happened to me. I needed monitoring plus antibiotics etc.

It's better to be safe than sorry and they will confirm one way or the other.

thegingerone Sat 13-Aug-11 21:39:58

If you're not able to speak to midwife, then ring del suite. I'm on pg #3 and in both prev preg I paid a few visits to del suite (or actually assessment unit) but for your peace of mind, you need to speak to someone. You'll prob need to pop in to be assessed. Just phone. Don't worry about doing it.

doozle Sat 13-Aug-11 21:40:45

Sorry I hope my post wasn't alarmist. But I do think it's best to rule this out.

G1nger Sat 13-Aug-11 21:40:48

I'd call them too.

Clandy Sat 13-Aug-11 21:41:03

Could you try NHS direct number- can find this in the Internet you get to speak to a trained health professional and they are lovely and give fab advice I wouldn't leave tho just for the sake of not wanting to bother someone that is after all what they are there for smile sure they would rather you rang too!! Hope that doesn't sound harsh btw just better safe than sorry grin

FessaEst Sat 13-Aug-11 21:41:13

I would ring d/suite. I have had to ring in the past and they have always been helpful.

sittinginthesun Sat 13-Aug-11 21:41:14

I would ring and ask for advice. They may want to check you over.

babloogirl Sat 13-Aug-11 21:45:29

I think I will try with NHS direct first, I am very laid back when it comes to my pregnancy, but since I told DH about the discharge he thinks that really I should ring.

Thanks for your advice, I am not getting upset by any of your comments by the way :D

Clandy Sat 13-Aug-11 22:02:53

Let us know how you get on!! smile

spongebunnyfatpants Sat 13-Aug-11 22:06:07

I wouldn't bother ringing NHS direct in my experience they are next to useless.
Ring your maternity ward, they have far more knowledge and experience that NHS direct and you won't have to wait three hours for someone to get back to you.

babloogirl Sat 13-Aug-11 22:13:22

NHS direct were...useless, and there is no answer from the ante natal clinic number or the delivery suite.

I think I will go to bed and try to call again in the morning,

HavePatience Sat 13-Aug-11 22:16:40

Could your dh try to keep ringing delivery suite for you?

nickschick Sat 13-Aug-11 22:18:11

My friend had a worry and I rang the delivery suite for advice - they were lovely and v helpful - its best to be on the safe side.

tigana Sat 13-Aug-11 22:20:43

Put a pad in your knickers...if they want to see you , I seem to recall they can test what's on the pad to see if it's amniotic fluid or just vaginal discharge.

I may be wrong. But I think i remember being tutted at by a MW when i went in saying my waters had broken but hadn't used a pad hmm

babloogirl Sat 13-Aug-11 22:20:47

Just tried one last time and got lucky, they told me to come and check everything is fine.

Thanks for the advice,

tigana Sat 13-Aug-11 22:22:24

good luck

InMyPrime Sat 13-Aug-11 22:23:31

When I had this happen (false alarm luckily), I was advised by the midwife to put on a pad and monitor the leakage for an hour and then call back. If it's your waters breaking, the flow would continue, I think, whereas normal leukhorrea (sp?) would be more erratic. Anyway, it might be worth you putting on a pad to see how much more comes out and then take the pad with you if the hospital do ask you to come in. They can check then whether it's amniotic fluid or just urine / leukhorrea.

Best of luck (I'm 33 + 1 as well, due on the same date as you btw!)

alisonsmum Mon 15-Aug-11 09:25:51

how did u get on?

candr Mon 15-Aug-11 16:19:36

Any news?, is everythig ok?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now