Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

snacks for labour

(9 Posts)
lolajane2009 Sat 13-Aug-11 18:02:48

I know this has been done before but what is best to take?

fuckityfuckfuckfuck Sat 13-Aug-11 18:04:43

Lucozade and a straw. I packed loads of snacks both times but this is the one thing I actually used. I packed a pack of biscuits which came in very handy onthe postnatal ward too.

ParkerRocks Sat 13-Aug-11 18:11:15

I took dried fruit and cereal bars as they are good at providing energy and were easy to pack weeks in advance with the rest of my hospital bag. Also bottles of water as it's warm in hospitals. The hospital also provided tea and toast. I didn't think I'd eat in labour but I was so hungry-ate 3 cereal bars, dried dates and pineapple plus several slices of toast! blush

Flisspaps Sat 13-Aug-11 18:41:29

Dextrose tablets and lots of fluids.

nannyl Sat 13-Aug-11 18:45:11

i have packed:
some lucozade in a sports bottle
some cartons of juice / ribena
some cereal bars
some haribo type sweets and choccie buttons

i will add some bananas and frozen water when the time comes.

Am planning a home birth so should have access to a whole kitchen full of food, but am packing bags as if going to hospital, and can still use them during labour at home!

edwinbear Sat 13-Aug-11 20:21:53

I took an entire bag full of snacks. They were mainly wasted as all I fancied was Haribos, and then once I'd had my epidural, all I was allowed, was smoothies. I think DH made good use of the rest of them though.

thisisyesterday Sat 13-Aug-11 20:24:47

i didn't have anything, and didn't want anything any of my 3 times either.
thought of eating while i was in labour made me want to vomit.

spilttheteaagain Sat 13-Aug-11 20:43:18

Last time I ate some chocolate hobnobs whilst waiting for induction to kick off, and once labouring an orange and a carton of apple juice. The orange especially was fantastic, refreshing and sugary and not heavy on my stomach. I was ravenous post delivery though so do have something of substance for postnatally.

SpannerPants Sat 13-Aug-11 21:08:01

I stockpiled jaffa cakes and jelly sweets but didn't want to eat anything in the end. DP had some of them, but the midwives took the piss out of me when they put my bags on the bed to move me to the postnatal ward and realised I had 2 full carrier bags of food!

It came in handy for the middle-of-the-night munchies when feeding DS though grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now