Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

how many waited 12weeks to tell the world :)

(33 Posts)
threecurrantbuns Sat 13-Aug-11 17:51:12

This is our 4 pregnancy only found out today but already feeling it will be a life sentence to wait to tell people we are so excited but don't want to tempt fate either.

SaulGood Sat 13-Aug-11 17:54:42

I'm pregnant with dc2 and just as with dd, we have told nobody. I'm really very pregnant indeed and obviously those around me have noticed but I have never told a soul, not posted on fb etc. It's rather fun watching people decide whether I've eaten too many pies or if whether they should be congratulating me. Not anymore of course. I'm like a house side these days but the 2nd trimester was good fun.

NRGless Sat 13-Aug-11 18:54:19

I have always had massive issues keeping my gob shut and we found out the day before our engagement party so it was very difficult to explain away the not drinking or smoking. A friend turned up to the party (luckily she was the first to arrive!!) looking distinctly porkier (joke BTW) than last time I saw her and when she said she was pregnant I proceeded to shout 'SO AM I!!!' DP was slightly horrified at my lack of restraint but after 5 mins of baby talk he was happy grin
I wish I could keep secrets (my own, not other people's) but it's not in my nature blush

Carrotsandcelery Sat 13-Aug-11 19:01:16

I had no choice but to tell the world but did feel that I would have told close friends and family anyway.

Both my pregnancies hung on by a thread and I felt that I would have needed the support of those around me whichever way it had gone. I didn't want my first conversation with them about it to be a distressing one.

As it was no distressing conversations were required grin

I think it is fun to tell a small minority during the first few weeks but, given the choice, I wouldn't have told the world until I was more sure of things.

Congratulations fourcurrantbuns grin

Meglet Sat 13-Aug-11 19:01:33

I told mum / dad / sister the day I found out. Work collegues at 8 weeks (too sick to pretend otherwise) and everyone else at 12 weeks.

I was in maternity trousers by 9 weeks both times so it was pointless not mentioning it!

Meglet Sat 13-Aug-11 19:01:34

I told mum / dad / sister the day I found out. Work collegues at 8 weeks (too sick to pretend otherwise) and everyone else at 12 weeks.

I was in maternity trousers by 9 weeks both times so it was pointless not mentioning it!

Mum2be79 Sat 13-Aug-11 21:29:25

I waited a whole hour! Couldn't help myself. For me (and everyone is different) I wouldn't have a problem telling people it went pear shaped. Luckily it hasn't.

insanityscatching Sat 13-Aug-11 21:43:54

With dd who is now 8, I found it really difficult to come to terms with being pregnant.I told dh at 12 weeks (he was thrilled) GP at 14 weeks, our older children, family and close friends at 26 to 28 weeks because I was worried they'd notice the bump(they hadn't) Outside of that I told no one and was only asked once when I was one day overdue if I was pregnant. When I walked up to school pushing a pram I got asked by no end of people whose baby she was grin She has though turned out to be an absolute blessing and is the apple of my eye so find it hard to believe I was so much in denial throughout the pregnancy.

notlettingthefearshow Sat 13-Aug-11 22:41:05

DH and myself found out at 7 weeks. We were planning to wait til 12 weeks before telling anyone else, but at 8 weeks had a chicken pox scare (neither of us has had it) and then came the morning sickness - so we told quite a few friends and family by 10 weeks. These were people I would have told anyway if anything had happened. Everyone else we told at 12 weeks, after the scan. By then the pregnancy felt more real and we knew everything was ok so far, so it was a great joy to tell people.

tigana Sat 13-Aug-11 22:45:49

This time told best friend, in laws and line manager at about 6-7 weeks ( for sanity/practical and avoidance of awkward questions variously).
went properly public straight after 12 week scan.

last time, told line manager at about 6 weeks and in laws at maybe 10 weeks. no 12 weeks scan 'back then'. but went public at 12 weeks.

hardest bit was during the all-day-every-day sickness and wanting to say "uuuhhhh i feel like shit" to friends at work but having to keep schtum and bear it

tigana Sat 13-Aug-11 22:47:50

I only told people who I also knew would want/ need to know if anything went wrong ( either for emotional support or practical reasons).

Beamur Sat 13-Aug-11 22:49:18

I had a miscarriage at 10 weeks first time round and had not gone public, but had told my Mum and told my boss why I was off work. Next time I waited until 12 weeks had passed although some people guessed but I did not confirm it, I didn't have morning sickness so it wasn't too hard to carry on as normal. I did tell my Mum though as soon as I had a postive test. And DP of course!

nannyl Sat 13-Aug-11 22:54:11

i live 5 hours away from my family...

I wanted to tell my family and OHs family to their faces at about the same time... so told my family when i found out i was pregnant at 3 weeks and 5 days...
and told OHs family (when we had driven home) at 3 weeks 6 days.

Bit of luck I did as i had HG and at 7 weeks was admitted to hospital.

Also where we live the local hospital doesnt do anything to do with pregnancy / birth so we have to go to the next hospital 45 mins drive away...

I needed to be driven there, so needed OHs family to help... and no way could we have kept it secret cause the only reason anyone female who lives here goes to that hospital is pregnancy (or birth) related.
Would have hated to tell my own family over the phone, and at least they understood why i was so poorly and spent the next 2 months feeling like death in bed.
HG also meant I couldnt travel home to attend some of my family events, so was pleased people knew why.

Told DH as soon as I realised, around 5 weeks, then in the week after that I told family and close friends - everyone who I would also tell if I had a miscarriage. To be honest, if I did miscarry I wouldn't hold back from telling friends, family and work colleagues.

However, I've not told that many people yet as I'm waiting for my first doctor's appointment, which will be a real landmark in making this pregnancy a reality for me.

JollySergeantJackrum Sun 14-Aug-11 15:52:36

DP and I only told my BF and my cousin before the first scan. My cousin was just newly pregnant too and guessed. The first scan was 10+3 and we told everyone in the 2-3 days after the scan.

mummyzoe2012 Sun 14-Aug-11 21:36:38

i told everyone i know when i found out i would of been 4 weeks but we had been trying for 5 years so was just too hard for me and dp he told everyone too

Scaredycat3000 Sun 14-Aug-11 22:19:36

I waited until 12 weeks as my MIL & BIL are terrible gossips and would have told everybody regardless of being told not to. I hated the idea of being gossiped about, if anything went wrong, so best not to tell MIL. That also meant I couldn't tell my family, but I couldn't have it both ways. So personal reasons for me really.

KateBC Sun 14-Aug-11 22:58:42

I had to tell work as soon as I found out as I work with adults with learning disabilities and challenging behaviour, so had to be moved straight away to a quieter house. As I live on a small island, and in a very gossipy profession me and DH decided to tell a few friends and family

Was in maternity jeans by 8 weeks though, so was fairly obvious!

MintChocAddict Sun 14-Aug-11 23:01:50

DC1 - 17 Weeks - found out late.
DC2 - 16 Weeks - just decided to wait a bit.

Kayano Sun 14-Aug-11 23:10:10

I told everyone at 6 weeks when it was confirmed!

I coulnt keep it in!!!

I did have a knobbish judgey women tell me I would miscarry and how stupid I was. Needless to say we no longer speak and she ain't missed

cantreachmytoes Mon 15-Aug-11 13:13:09

Told our parents and siblings at around 9 weeks (because my mother was moving) and everyone else at 12 weeks.

One very close friend was quite upset that I had told my brother before her...

Everybody else was happy to be told when they were told.

flutterbye1988 Mon 15-Aug-11 13:46:53

i had no option but to tell everyone esp people at work as, i spent the first 4 months with my head down the toilet, i had to tell my friends and family at 3 weeks as they wanted me to go to A&E because they thought i had food poisoning lol,

next time i will def try not to tell people, i am 39+4 and if i have one more person tell me that i have been pregnant for ages i think i will scream lol

razzdazz Mon 15-Aug-11 13:59:42

Hi there, I always tell my nearest and dearest straight away.....my reasoning is that if something not nice happened then I would need and want their support anyway.
Our EPU actually say that if you get a good fhb at 8+4 then you are usually alright shock.

Moffit Mon 15-Aug-11 14:05:36

I am 8+2 today and the only person that knows is my DH, we found out together at 4+1 and to keep it from everyone for another 4 weeks is going to be tricky, especially as I have an expanding waistline. But we decided that we wanted to have our little baby secrect and thats the way it is going to stay until the 12 week scan!

graciousenid Mon 15-Aug-11 14:54:02

we waited (apart from our parents) - dd1/ds1/ds2 after 12 week scan, sadly ds2 died at 17 weeks & after that we waited longer (I was irrationally terrified of tempting fate) dd2 34 weeks, ds3 we just made a birth announcement (for people we didn't see very often I told local friends after the 20 week scan).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now