Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Vitamin a

(12 Posts)
Clandy Sat 13-Aug-11 09:43:20

Hiya sorry this may seem a stupid question but I know you shouldn't take vitamin a during pregnant I have googles it to find out why but only seem to get advice not to take it with no reason! TIA

Cattleprod Sat 13-Aug-11 09:50:14

Too much vit A can cause birth defects, particularly in early pregnancy. I'm not sure exactly what defects, but I think mainly neural tube problems like spina bifida, clefts etc. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will be along soon!

jenniec79 Sat 13-Aug-11 09:50:17

It's a messenger chemical produced in tiny quantities by the embryo to tell it (in broad terms) where to grow arms and legs etc. If you overdo the vitamin A intake it can overtake the mechanism this is done by, so can cause birth defects if taken in huge quantities.

Try googling vitamin A and embryology for the technical bits.

Cattleprod Sat 13-Aug-11 09:56:15

Here

Malformations of the face, head, heart and nervous system. Cleft lips and palates, serious heart problems and fluid on the brain.

In the 1970s pregnant women were advised to eat loads of liver, which is rich in vit A. I often wonder if this caused my cleft lip.

sidorek Sat 13-Aug-11 10:41:31

Yes, but it only applies to vit A which comes from animal source. Vit A from carrots and other veg is harmless.

Clandy Sat 13-Aug-11 12:32:20

Ah thank you for your replies smile I will check out the link and google suggestion! Should I be worried I just read my cod liver oil tablets which I always take and it says it has vitamin A added am 5 dpo so not sure If am pregnant or not as too early to tell but I have been taking them for a while...? Any advice?

Crosshair Sat 13-Aug-11 12:34:49

Stop taking them if ttc, I'd assume you're already taking folic acid.

Clandy Sat 13-Aug-11 12:39:13

Yeah been taking folic acid for a while. I didn't take the cod liver oil today as I read the label I should have done earlier but I always take them n assumed it may do baby good to get cod liver oil sad never crossed my mind that they might add vitamins!!

Crosshair Sat 13-Aug-11 12:48:19

I wouldnt worry about it, better to find out now then later on.

Oeisha Sat 13-Aug-11 16:47:50

If you're worried about multivits/folic acid/fish oils then do what I did/am doing and take pregnacare plus (or othe brands, that are pg specific). That has the multivit with folic acid and then a separate fish oil capsual. Taken it since TTC.
All, in theory baby safe throughout pg and bf.

sevensevenseven Sat 13-Aug-11 18:32:45

If you're only 5dpo and are successful this month there's a good chance it won't even have implanted yet.

Good luck by the way!

Clandy Sat 13-Aug-11 21:33:21

Thanks again for replies I am taking pregnacare but only regular cos I was taking cod liver oil already n the plus ones seemed a bit expensive to take before I knew for sure! Thanks tho ladies I feel a lot less stressed about it now grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now