Talk

Advanced search

Basic question about coming home from hospital

(19 Posts)
Eviepoo Fri 12-Aug-11 13:17:07

Everytime I have been in hospital for appointments I have seen lots of dads going up to the ward to collect wives/partners holding a infant carseat.

We have bought a birth to 4 years carseat that stays in the car - this is now fitted (am 38+5). I have a vague recollection that the MW's do not you leave the ward carrying your baby only (is my old brain making that up from 12 years ago?).
So does that mean DH will need to bring the pushchair to take baby to the car - or would they let us use the sling?
I do know I will be in hospital a day or two whilst my injections are sorted and I can do them myself.

Or is this a daft question completely? And I can carry my baby to the car as it's my baby and my choice of carseat.

SaulGood Fri 12-Aug-11 13:18:20

Sling will be fine. Some people don't even have cars after all.

Eviepoo Fri 12-Aug-11 13:28:07

Thanks

Yes sorry I did mean to say I have seen people leaving with pushchairs/prams etc too. smile

BeeMyBaby Fri 12-Aug-11 13:50:18

we just left with DC in our arms, no one seemed to mind (almost 2 years ago).

CBear6 Fri 12-Aug-11 13:54:17

MW told us on our tour a few weeks ago that she's not the slightest bit bothered about how baby leaves the ward so long as it's clothed, it's not 3am, the paperwork is done, and it's not being carried by the legs.

I'd say you're fine with a sling smile

MrsPotatoHeadsStylist Fri 12-Aug-11 13:56:17

I carried both my DDs out in my arms from two different hospitals, neither time did the MW ask how we were getting home (once in a car with car seat waiting in car for us, once walking home).
You'll be fine, they may ask if you have a car seat because some maternity units used to loan car seats out for you to get baby home ok, but I think since 'elf n safety took over they mostly don't do that anymore.

IssyStark Fri 12-Aug-11 14:21:45

It will depend on hospital policy.

I know that at my hospital (Princess Southampton, the OBEM one), when DS was born 4.5y ago, if it was your first baby, you were going home by car and you didn't have a car seat that came out of the car, the midwife would go down to your car with you to make sure that the baby was fastened in properly. Don't know if they do that now given how stretched services are.

Karmanna Fri 12-Aug-11 14:27:03

I have a relating question on this. We have no car and will be getting a taxi home. We've got a car seat that came with our buggy - but does any car seat go in any car? Do you have to strap it in in the car or how does it work?

Thanks!

MrsPotatoHeadsStylist Fri 12-Aug-11 14:33:17

Karmanna - What car seat is it? Do you know the make or model?

Its most likely that it straps in with the regular 3 point car seat in any car. You would need to check the manual first and see what route the car's seat belt has to go. Do you have a friend with a car that you could have a practice fitting your baby seat into in before baby is born?

Debs75 Fri 12-Aug-11 14:35:56

Karmanna If you get one of the eurostar cans then you should find any 0stage car seat will fit. And yes it should be belted in unless it is an isofif fit

hubbahubster Fri 12-Aug-11 14:38:20

We too have a birth to 4 seat, DH had to remove it and carry it up to the ward to put DS in before they would let us leave. The midwife even questioned whether it was really suitable from birth! It was a pain and bulky to carry back to the car, but I was so desperate to get out after two days on the ward, I just growled at DH to do what he was asked...

Karmanna Fri 12-Aug-11 14:47:22

It came with the Beep Travel system we bought. Unfortuantely none of my friends drive (live in London so a car just seems like a bit of a hassle). In worst case scenario - if it doesn't fit in the cab (although hopefully it should do!) - then I suppose DH could bring the buggy and we can get the bus home - it's only about a 5-10 minute journey...

MrsPotatoHeadsStylist Fri 12-Aug-11 15:01:15

If its the Beep + Elegance travel system it can be fitted with just the regular car seat belt. Some of the Beep+ packages also come with a car esta base that you could use, but to be honest if its a one off and you are not sure how to fit it you'd be better off just putting the car seat into the car and using the belt, then there is probably less fiddle and less to get wrong.

Karmanna Fri 12-Aug-11 15:05:43

Yeah, that's the one! Thanks!! smile

MrsPotatoHeadsStylist Fri 12-Aug-11 15:14:41

Should have said that if you have the base you need to check whether it is a belted base or an isofix base. If its isofix I would not bother with it because its unlikely that you will get a taxi with isofix (I speak from experience!).

Karmanna Fri 12-Aug-11 15:48:10

We don't have the base so should hopefully be able to just use the seatbelt - thanks for all the advice! And sorry I hijacked your thread Eviepoo

Eviepoo Fri 12-Aug-11 15:58:05

That's ok. As long as you are sorted. I think I'll tell DH to put sling and pushchair in boot just in case. We cant lug that seat from the ward with DC in it.

wompoopigeon Fri 12-Aug-11 16:02:36

Karmanna
you really really won't feel like catching the bus home. You will be wobbly, bleeding and terrified of germs. Get your DP to practise putting the car seat into a car, so he knows what to do.

candr Fri 12-Aug-11 19:00:32

If you need to get a cab ask for a more modern one. We had to buy a base for our car seat as my car is a bit older (Honda Civic) and the belts are not long enough to go round seat. It also doesn't have the bar to fix the base to so we have the base secured with seatbelt. You will not be able to carry the base around as is very heavy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now