Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.
Help!, I really am fed up now(7 Posts)
At about 30 weeks i started with uncontrollable itching in my hands and feet, i went to 3 different doctors every day for 2 weeks until one offered me a blood test, this showed that i had something wrong with my liver and i was rushed into the hospital by the GP (very very scary as i was at work at the time and hadn't taken the car). This is where the annoyance really starts.
MW No1 told me that everything was fine, gave me piriton (which i had been on since the itching started)
MW No2 told me that i would be induced 2 weeks early as this was dangerous for the baby and gave me a date to come in.
consultant then said that i wouldn't be induced but needed monitoring.
MW No?? (after going to hospital for 6+ hours twice a week for 3 weeks) discharged me at 36 weeks.
CMW then rings me this week (38 +5 weeks) and tells me that i need to rush to the hospital as blood results have come back higher, and that i will be induced the next day.
got to the hospital and then was told by a MW that they will find me a room and i will be admitted and induced.
then after 7 hours sitting in a waiting room the consultant sends me home and says there is nothing wrong with me.
seriously WTF??? i have never been so upset i could have cried all the way home i was told by 2 people that i would be having the baby in a day or so then a consultant (not my usual one) who didn't even speak to me decides im fine even though the midwives seemed really concerned.
i am seeing my CMW on Monday but have no idea what to tell her?? i am totally stressed out with the whole situation having so many conflicting messages from the people that are supposed to be looking after me. I haven't slept properly for weeks and the stress can't be doing me and the baby any good.
any advice would be appreciated (sorry for the long post BTW)
Good grief that's appalling!
If I were you when you see the CMW on Monday I would tell her exactly what you have just told us here and see what her reaction is. She should be disgusted. If she isn't, tell her she should be and that you expect her to tell you why there has been so much to-ing and fro-ing and disagreement. Surely if there is any doubt as to whether your condition will harm your baby they need to do all they can for you.
If they try putting you in hospital and sending you home again, refuse to leave until you have seen the consultant- they want your bed so they'll make it happen.
I would also write a letter of complaint- let their bosses make them jump!
I dont think you should wait until monday to sort this out. I think you phone the unit and ask to speak to one of the midwifery matrons. I think you should ask them to obtain a copy of your notes and blood results and explain to you exactly what the decision making process has been. If you do not have any luck in speaking to them TODAY, you should contact PALS at the hospital today and complain and state how concerned you are. It may be true that you dont need to be induced but this seems very odd to me and I think someone senior needs to investigate and discuss with you.
I would also recommend calling OC support UK for further advice and reassurance. Good luck, please let us know how you get on.
I would not leave this! Someone must be wrong and what if its the consultant that sent you home (not that I'm trying to scare you). I would ring up again and explain everything from the beginning and say you're sick of the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing.
I can't believe so many health professionals can be so unprofessional! Hope it gets sorted x
A close friend of mine had obstetric cholestasis with both her pregnancies, and whilst our local maternity unit is generally very good, she had similar treatment to you... i.e. in and out of hospital, with one consultant telling her she'd be induced no later than 38wks, to another saying it wasn't necessary. She also had the experience of going for a consultant appt about being induced, & hearing the consultant in the room next to her to tell the junior Dr to go back & tell her she wouldn't be induced - he didnt even bother to come into the room to tell her himself! They also lost her bloods at one point & didnt realise how severe it was etc etc etc. By the time she hit 39/40wks she was totally exhausted with hospital visits / being told one thing then them changing their mind.
Outcome was, she delivered 2 healthy babies, one on due date, one slightly early (I think she demanded induction in the end & broke down in tears & said she couldnt take it any more & refused to leave hospital).
Sorry, not a particularly helpful story, but just wanted you to know you're not alone - I think perhaps they can't really decide the best way to treat OC i.e. whether to deliver early or not, hence all the changing of minds etc. But the positive outcome was that my friend now has gorgeous 2 & 4yr olds & the nightmare last few wks of pregnancy are long forgotten. Take care & hope you meet your gorgeous baby very soon!!x
thanks for your help, i rang the hospital and was told that my normal consultant and his team aren't in today, they offered to let me go to the hospital and speak with another consultant ( the one that sent me home the other day) but that she is fully booked so would have to sit and wait for her to have 10 min to speak with me, i have kindly refused the offer to sit and wait for hours again.
i have left a VM with my CMW as she is in clinic today so is a bit busy and we shall see if she can come over and see me,
icravecheese - i cannot tell you how tempted i am to demand i be induced now because the stress is horrendous, plus i have been having regular pains (that turn into nothing) for the last 2 weeks.
Are you sure you dont want to go and see the consultant that is in? I understand your annoyance and frustration but this is so important.
Join the discussion
Please login first.