Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

My uterus has compartments [confused]

(10 Posts)
Macaroona Thu 11-Aug-11 23:55:52

So I had my 20 wk scan today and it's a boy!

Lovely jubbly. It was all fine, baby measuring fine, all bits present and correct.

However: he showed me what looked like a part of my uterus on the left side which was sort of blocked off by a bit of tissue confused I have felt movement only on the right side, so I guess this explains why.

I have another scan booked for 32 weeks to check this - I have literally no clue what it is, and wondered if anyone had experienced it? The scan guy didn't seem overly concerned, so it's only since coming home that I've started to worry what it means for me, the baby and the birth.

Any advice appreciated, even if it's just a definition of it that I can google!

anchovies Fri 12-Aug-11 00:02:44

Congratulations!

Might it be a bicornuate uterus? If you do Google don't get bogged down with the sometimes scary details, I have one and had 3 gigantic babies who were all late!

branstonsandcheese Fri 12-Aug-11 00:05:40

My ideas would be bicornate uterus or amniotic band syndrome. If the baby is developing well and has room to move (and the person doing the scan didn't seem worried - they are always cautious in my experience), then chances are all is well.

I have aschermann's syndrome which means my uterus doesn't stretch very well and still have three lovely DSs. Congratulations!

Macaroona Fri 12-Aug-11 00:17:59

Thanks both for speedy replies smile

I've had a look at the bicornuate uterus, and it looks quite specifically heart shaped. In my scan it looked like just about a quarter on one side was closed off by tissue. Amniotic band syndrome looked scary, and related to birth defects, I don't think it was that or at least I hope not!

It's just such a miracle seeing how perfect its little body was, I hope he'll be fine in there. I think I'll call the hospital tomorrow and ask them to explain.

branstonsandcheese Fri 12-Aug-11 00:33:14

Please don't worry about amniotic band syndrome - that's just when it affects the foetus. It can easily just be where a band of the amnion (hence the name!), blocks off a bit of the uterus. FWIW Katie Price had it with Junior if I recall correctly, meant she needed a c-section as the band was between baby and cervix.

My cousin had it with her first and it just meant a corner of her uterus was 'blocked off' which is why your description rang a bell. She delivered her beautiful DD naturally with no issues. If the sonographer wasn't concerned I'm sure there's no reason for you to be BUT it's never a bad idea to ask for an explanation.

If you'd be okay with sharing what the hospital says I'd be interested to know!

All the best

Macaroona Fri 12-Aug-11 00:36:57

Thank you branston, that does sound like it then. I have been wondering if it makes CS more likely, but it is (I think) just a section on one side, and didn't block the cervix or go anywhere near the baby. It does feel weird now that I know why he's always hanging out on the right though, I hope he's not going to be squashed as he gets bigger.

Macaroona Fri 12-Aug-11 00:48:02

blush ok so I just looked at my notes, and you're right branston, it is an amniotic band. He didn't seem at all concerned so I'll not worry. Well done for your diagnosis!

branstonsandcheese Fri 12-Aug-11 00:58:54

haha! Wait just a second while I pat myself on the back wink - I am a right nosy parker and 'educated myself' on a lot of this sort of thing when I found out about my own condition - DH calls me 'Nurse Branston', am going to insist on being Dr Branston from now on grin

Congratulations on your beautiful baby boy [Macaroona], scans can be a bit of a mixed blessing sometimes but how lovely to know you have a beautiful strong baby growing in there. FWIW DS2 was 'squished' but has no longterm issues as a result; most of the important stuff is done by 20 weeks anway. Wishing you all the best for the next 20 weeks smile

Macaroona Fri 12-Aug-11 01:05:20

Thanks branston!

I don't want to remove your doctor's coat, but googling 'amniotic band' tells me that what I almost certainly actually have is an 'amniotic sheet' which is different and not anything like as serious. Apparently real life doctors like yourself - and mine, apparently! tend to write 'amniotic band' on notes when they actually mean 'amniotic sheet' just for shits and giggles, presumably!

Congrats on having 3 DSs, that must be a handful! I like boys, I'd be happy with that!

branstonsandcheese Fri 12-Aug-11 01:27:31

Nono, knowledge is good! Have duly amended my extremely limited doctorate wink Many thanks for the opportunity to learn something new and exciting! Sheet, eh...

Three boys is brilliant, I recommend it, thankyou smile - all the best for as peaceful-as-possible a pregnancy and birth!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now