Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Do I need a carrycot with my travel system?

(13 Posts)
Velvetcu Thu 11-Aug-11 19:52:33

We are looking at travel systems (Jane slalom reverse to be specific) and I know that you aren't supposed to have newborns in car seats for extended periods but when is it ok for them to lay in the pushchair bit?

Is it necessary to spend extra money buying the carrycot part?

StoneBaby Thu 11-Aug-11 20:00:28

I would get the carrycot as it'll make your life much easier. It will permit you to get around with your LO even asleep instead of having to make him up to get out of the car to go home or in the supermarket... or to wait in the car.

anniroc Thu 11-Aug-11 20:13:32

I would second that. Also, if you don't want to shell out for a moses basket, they can sleep in it all the time at home, until its time to move onto a cot.

scarlettsmummy2 Thu 11-Aug-11 20:17:30

I would say it is worth it- much more comfortable, they can lie completely flat on a proper mattress and it is much cosier in the winter months. My daughter also slept in hers at night.

An0therName Thu 11-Aug-11 20:30:53

I wanted the carry cot for my travel system and got it on ebay - bought the rest new -so that might be an option

sleepevader Thu 11-Aug-11 20:32:27

Just typed a long post and lost it.

Basically is the jane reverse suitable from birth without a carrycot. If not yes get one. If it is - dont bother- extra expense and storage.

Re using it as a moses basket- wooden crib lasts longer

sleepevader Thu 11-Aug-11 20:32:58

Also look at second hand herqules raptor spin- very similar to Jane but fraction of the price

happyjules Thu 11-Aug-11 22:01:50

If you buy it with the matrix car that will double up as a carry cot. I did this for both dds.

Velvetcu Thu 11-Aug-11 22:04:25

Happyjules is the matrix seat ok? I wasn't sure about have a car seat which can change shape

1gglePiggle Thu 11-Aug-11 22:05:19

I barely used my carrycot as had a baby who screamed every time they were horizontal. Went into pushchair which reclined flat so she could see what was going on and was a lot happier.

happyjules Thu 11-Aug-11 22:24:46

It always seemed fine to me. The only consideration I found was as it was that bit bigger was make sure you try the seat in you car in it's upright position to check the belt is long enough. Oh and I would suggest an addtional head support (Sunshine kids do a dual layerd one) when they are really small. I believe there have been quite a few improvements with this travel system recently and would centainly consider the lates model if we are lucky enough to have a third baby!

Velvetcu Fri 12-Aug-11 18:19:23

Thanks for your comments - lots to think about!

Anyone else want to add to this to make it easier??

Grumpla Fri 12-Aug-11 18:34:32

I had a Carrycot for my quinny buzz and although the buzz itself was a bit of a PITA the carrycot was great. DS slept in it, he wasn't in the carseat for hours on end, it had a zip on mozzie net for camping etc. However he outgrew it by about ten weeks!

I would advise buying one secondhand if you can - mine was about £35 as opposed to about £120 new. Definitely don't think I would have had £120 worth of use out of it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now